• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

40K preamp measurements

Unclevanya

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ms-momentum-hd-line-preamplifier-measurements

I think what struck me, was the listening review earlier when they claimed they could tell the difference between 16/44 vs 24/96 on the same track... But looking at the noise levels in this preamp I'm thinking confirmation bias.

Also the upgrade $7500 option, has resulted in lower measured performance!

Am I nuts or does the emperor lack clothes?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Eyecandy for those that have no idea what to do with their money and like this conversation piece integrated in their even more expensive audio setup.

Looks like the bass control pot is not at its electrical '0' when set at the mechanical '0'.
Of course nobody can hear the difference of + 0.25dB at 20Hz.

I bet it sounds good blind tested and even better sighted.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, yes, $7500 upgrade lowered measured performance, but of course increased subjective performance. The lousy, sucky, Audio Research Ref6 for $15k couldn't keep up in the dynamics, wide band sound, airy extension and general emotional connectedness. The cool winter snow of Minnesota runs threw the veins of the AR preamp design. It does in some ways exceed the performance of my Marantz pre/pro in my video rig, but mostly it doesn't.

The $2599 Benchmark LA4 Line preamp seems to have much better measured results.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-la4-line-preamplifier-measurements

But @Kal Rubinson didn't heap enough gooey praise upon it. He merely indicated set to unity gain the LA4 sounded transparent to the direct bypass. I wonder if the $40k preamp could do that (probably could)? Still when you have transparency your there.

OP
U

Unclevanya

Again not to beat a dead horse, what worries me most is the assertion that high res files sounded better than simple CD quality versions. With the noise floor measured, it's clear that the 24bit part likely played no real role in this. Perhaps the higher sampling rate gave some benefits?

Overall it just seems highly suspect subjective commentary.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pre-amp so basically just a volume knob, right?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is the worst Stereophile review I've read since Dick Olsher was on the masthead.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not believe he chose to deliberate add sub-bass frequencies even in flat mode...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That is the worst Stereophile review I've read since Dick Olsher was on the masthead.
When people thought that reviewers couldn’t get worse than Scull, Stereophile said, “Hold mah beer!”

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My near-antique Krell (during d'Agostino) pre seems to have more features...

1580483048272.png

... and never cost $40k

House de Kris

When people thought that reviewers couldn’t get worse than Scull, Stereophile said, “Hold mah beer!”
I stopped reading Stereophile when I couldn't stomach Scull an further. You mean it actually got worse? Hard to fathom. And no, I don't wish to click the link above and increase their hit counter making them think they're successful.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like an espresso machine.

Well, it certainly looks expensive. I prefer the Lamm and Placette stuff, which is expensive but looks nondescript.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again not to beat a dead horse, what worries me most is the assertion that high res files sounded better than simple CD quality versions. With the noise floor measured, it's clear that the 24bit part likely played no real role in this. Perhaps the higher sampling rate gave some benefits?

Overall it just seems highly suspect subjective commentary.
It's not merely suspect: it's totally worthless. Jason Victor Serinus cannot (and would never even try to) distinguish high-resolution audio from CD-quality in a non-sighted test.

A brief comparison of Serinus's reviews with the accompanying post-review measurements demonstrates conclusively that the man has no idea what he's hearing and that his preferences lean, more or less automatically, toward whatever gear is most expensive.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom