• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4 Speaker surround for 2-channel audio? What madness is this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22141
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22141

Following on from Amir's excellent video about why to test single speakers only, I"m paraphrasing.

The more speakers involved the less difference people can distinguish differences in quality. This is why a pair sounds better than one, and why AV receivers with surround sound can sound really good even when the quality of the amplifier and the speakers often isn't that high if tested individually.

In the spirit of "messing about because bored in lockdown", I have routed RCA output from my Marantz amplifier into another amplifier so that I have two pairs of speakers at opposite ends of the room playing a stereo signal. I have reversed the rear set so that Left and Right are on the same side of the room. There is also a Rel Sub in the mix.

How does it sound? Surprisingly good actually.

The soundstage suffers somewhat all the music seems like it's just everywhere, but it's certainly not obviously worse. I can control the volume on the two amps separately and it does seem better if the rear speakers are at maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the volume of the front speakers. More soundstage is present the lower the volume of the rears.

Is this because it just evens out any room effects?

Also my rear set are LS50s and I kinda love their treble which gets introduced back into the sound field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Even a Hafler cicuit arrangement is superior.

Top Bottom