• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4 pin XLR and 4.4mm connector

blanc

Hi,

I’ve read the so called 4 pin XLR connector for hp. Is it the connector where balanced audio signals flow, just like 4.4mm connector?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, but that said, some amplifiers only have the socket for convenience and do not actually have a balanced signal on it.
When the cable is on the headphone then that headphone can be driven from a balanced amp.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I’ve read the so called 4 pin XLR connector for hp. Is it the connector where balanced audio signals flow, just like 4.4mm connector?
Are you talking about this?:
1662720315952.png

or this?:
1662720369569.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you talking about this?:
View attachment 229675

or this?:
View attachment 229676
The first one looks like 4 pin mini XLR to me

I think OP refers to this - the "standard" 4 pin XLR found on many headamps/ headphones and the 4.4mm pentaconn in the second pic. Seem to be the most common "balanced" connections on desktop amps these days- with 2.5mm/ 4,4mm being the common mobile device "balanced" connections

Attachments

• Raycom-Custom-4Pin-XLR-Power-Cable.jpg
    Raycom-Custom-4Pin-XLR-Power-Cable.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I recently made a 4 pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter so I could plug my IEMs into the 'balanced' connector on the front of my Topping EX5...

I could make a similar 4 pin XLR to 4.4mm TRRRS if I could find suitable 4.4mm panel mount socket.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently made a 4 pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter so I could plug my IEMs into the 'balanced' connector on the front of my Topping EX5...

I could make a similar 4 pin XLR to 4.4mm TRRRS if I could find suitable 4.4mm panel mount socket.

I do find it more than a little frustrating that there are now 3 "common" connectors just for balanced headphones/ iem - nevermind the 2 for single ended. Ive got almost as many adapters as bloody headphones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I do find it more than a little frustrating that there are now 3 "common" connectors just for balanced headphones/ iem - nevermind the 2 for single ended. Ive got almost as many adapters as bloody headphones.
I think it's good that there's choice. Only 4pin XLR feels unnecessary to me. The other four have a rightful place in the market imo. One extra sturdy connector (4.4/6.35) and one compact, mainstream (2.5/3.5)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I think the 2.5mm TRRS is far to delicate and easy to break (I know from experience). I think the 4.4mm is small enough for most mobile applications and should become standard for both mobile and desktop use.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And to make matters worse... there is the TRRS 3.5mm on top of the TRS.
There are 2 TRRS 'standards' of wiring (one Apple and one not Apple) and this can cause headsets to not work with any (apple or not apple)device and cause incompatibility issues with regular 3.5mm devices.

The Pentaconn would make a nice universal connector and was designed to be just that.
smaller than 6.3, slightly bigger than 3.5.
Can be used for single ended AND balanced connections and even for grounded balanced connections.
Unfortunately... no mic/remote functionality unless someone decides to reassign (so not comply to standard) the connector to accommodate for that.
Of course... Apple will decide to do this differently than the rest of the world.

Unfortunately the 3.5, 6.3 and XLR-4 are already too 'standard' and hard to get rid of.
The only way would be to only make gear using the Pentaconn and start selling Pentaconn to... name your poison: connectors. 2.5 TRS, 2.5TRRS, 3.5TRS, 3.5TRRS(Apple), 3.5TRRS(Android), 6.3, XLR4, 2xXLR-3(Tyll coined that I believe).

I have not seen that much gear with Pentaconn out(s) only yet. I think no manufacturer dares to.
Hard to get DIY free sockets and PCB mount sockets in the regular DIY channels. Plugs are available but too expensive.

Last edited:
OP
B

blanc

It seems 4 pin XLR is more robust than 4.4mm connector, just like 6.35mm than 3.5mm. I had personally terrible experience with 3.5mm connector both to the hp and to the amp when the cable is relative thick. The connection gets loose over time so the contact degrades. Maybe the cable connector type in SoundMagic HP1000 is a solid solution even it is not standard.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems 4 pin XLR is more robust than 4.4mm connector, just like 6.35mm than 3.5mm. I had personally terrible experience with 3.5mm connector both to the hp and to the amp when the cable is relative thick. The connection gets loose over time so the contact degrades. Maybe the cable connector type in SoundMagic HP1000 is a solid solution even it is not standard.
Unusual connectors at the HP end aren't a good idea as getting replacement cables can be hard. I agree, at the amp end the 4pin xlr is most robust for weighty cables.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

No I am talking about free sockets for Pentaconn.
The Pentaconn plugs are not that hard to find (albeit still a bit expensive).

For Pentaconn to succeed it would require easy access to hobbyists and manufacturers only offering the Pentaconn.
I don't see that happening because of the enormous amount of headphones that only have 3.5/6.3 plugs only.

Top Bottom