• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4 channel amplification: which 3eaudio option to choose..

Paccidat

Please Advise on choice:

I have done a lot of reading in more than a lot of threads and forums to answer the question what could be the best way to power my LX-mini's without breaking the bank. (I know ncores would be ideal, but would not pass the W.A.F. pricewise)

I am now looking at some options offered by 3eaudio. As I need 4 channel amplification to drive 2 tweeters (4 ohms) and 2 woofers (8 ohms) I will either choose a 4 channel amp or 2 stereo amps.

3E audio has the stereo module EAUMT-0260-2-B based on the TPA 3255 (2x260W) and a 4 channel module EAUMT-0100-4-A based on the TPA 3251 (4x100W). Obviously the latter would fit nicely as a compact all in one solution and is cheaper. It also has lower power, but 100W per driver is more than enough. It is rated for 4 ohms though.

The other one has more power but I would need 2 units. The 3255 has a good reputation, but data on the 3251 shows slighly lower THD. But I will be stretching them more for the same SPL, so the THD may in effect be worse in real life application.

Perhaps someone can give me some good arguments for choosing either the one or the other.... or neither for that matter.

I currently use el cheapo mini chinese TPA 3118 modules that were modded to have bigger caps. I also tested with 2 allo volt D+ units which gave some improvement but not convincing enough to replace my mini modules. In fact it already sounds very good at moderate volumes, but at higher volumes I think I am hearing the weaknesses of this set up.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The 3E amp modules have a decent reputation. It's a marginal call between the 3251 and 3255 as you say - the usual suggestion would be to take the 3251 unless you need the extra power, but at 8R the 3251 is a bit down on recommendation (70W IIRC) so it's not a clear cut decision. How often do you use them near maximum output, and is it worth doubling the price of the amplification?

I'd also have a serious look at a pair of Hypex FA122 plate amps - you can offset the extra cost by selling the MiniDSP since the FusionAmps include a DSP module.

OP
P

Paccidat

I'd also have a serious look at a pair of Hypex FA122 plate amps - you can offset the extra cost by selling the MiniDSP since the FusionAmps include a DSP module.

That's an interesting proposition. I have the 10x4 miniDSP and indeed selling that would make some money free for these amps. I would however need to add a preamp of some sort because I now have the ability to switch between different (analog and digital ) sources via the remote. Also I am not sure how volume control would work if I need to do that on 2 separate amps simultaneaously (or via that additional preamp of course). Third concern is obtaining the right DSP profile for my mini's I would also need a preamp that supports analog and digital sources....

Looks a bit complicated, but I like the idea nonetheless

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
The mono TPA3255 version are pretty cool. Low price for 2 boards, lot of power, no heat, easy to power with +24V to 48V, small footprint (and I like to listen to them).

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That's an interesting proposition. I have the 10x4 miniDSP and indeed selling that would make some money free for these amps. I would however need to add a preamp of some sort because I now have the ability to switch between different (analog and digital ) sources via the remote. Also I am not sure how volume control would work if I need to do that on 2 separate amps simultaneaously (or via that additional preamp of course). Third concern is obtaining the right DSP profile for my mini's I would also need a preamp that supports analog and digital sources....

Looks a bit complicated, but I like the idea nonetheless
Download the FusionAmp manual and read up on the infrared remote module and the control linkage between multiple amps - it's a system remote so the volume and input switching is linked on both amps - or more if you add subs later. If you're lucky it will have enough input variety to cover your needs without needing an external switch box. They published the details of the receiver module on one of the forums (diyaudio.com?) but I don't remember if they've published the control codes used by the transmitter.

I don't have access to the owners' part of the oplug forum but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't posted the DSP profile/settings for the Hypex software already.

Top Bottom