• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$3k-4k Passive Large Bookshelf Or Short Wide Floorstander

concorde1

I'm looking for a pair of excellently performing passive speakers that are of one of the two form factors in the title, at about 3,000 USD.

By large bookshelf, I mean capable of high power handling.

By short wide floorstander, I mean something akin to the size of the JBL 4367 or smaller.

My room is about: 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft (l*w*h)

Primarily for music but also occasional movie. Speakers will be complemented with two subs at some point but I'll worry about that a lot later.

"Large Bookshelf" (preferred form factor)

Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX
JBL LSR6332
JTR Noesis 110HT

"Short wide floorstander" (to consider)

JBL 4722N

---

I'm currently most in favour of the Arendal and the LSR6332, because they have good measurements, although the Arendal is lacking THD measurements.

Question: what other top tier speakers are worth considering in these somewhat rare to find form factors?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Funny nobody replied. Did you ever buy something? If not, I'll relay what some JBL bigwig I forget said about Revel vs. the big JBLs, that they had the same design philosophy but the JBL semi-pro were designed for higher output level. LSR6332 I'd expect similar to Revel. The Arendal product looks nice and appears intelligently designed, though unless you are actually putting them in shelves why not get the tower?

gerG

Based on the title, I was going to recommend the LSR32/6332. They need subs to reach deep, but they are very dynamic and accurate. Also not picky about placement. I have a couple of pairs, and I keep moving them around to try in different systems. They also sound great outdoors. Just be sure that the pair has a left version and a right version.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Did you ever buy something?
Not yet. Still saving money and considering what I want to go for.
why not get the tower?
I like to be able to pick up my speakers to move around room.

Still considering (with price estimates)
Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX [3565 USD + customs]
JBL LSR6332 [1500 USD + shipping + 15% + customs]

As much as I'd like to consider Perlisten, a pair of S5m costs 15,000 USD all up (converted) in my location. I have to put Perlisten out of my mind. I'm only 26 years old.

But what if I want to spend more than the Arendal, but not the crazy price of the Perlisten? Is there anything available? 8"-12" woofer(s) and bookshelf, good measurements, very low THD.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
For that price you could go to Perlisten R series.

gerG

The problem is that bookshelf full range speakers fell out of fashion years ago. If you can find a pair of ADS L980s, grab them!
Klipsch had a cool bookshelf in their Paladium line. The P-17b I think. Not sure if it is still produced. It will play loud, and look gorgeous.
The arena where bookshelf speakers are still embraced is studio sound. Thing is, they have mostly gone active. The Focal Trio 11Be is cool, but waaay overpriced. I used to be able to buy Focal and Dynaudio drivers, but they figured out that they could make more money by building boxes themselves. Kali has a couple of 3-way monitors, but I have not tried them yet.
What is available in NZ? I will confess ignorance about that part of the world. My memories of your beautiful country mostly involve jumping off 3 different bridges with elastic wrapped around my ankles. Mind you, they are good memories!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
I like to be able to pick up my speakers to move around room.
Ah, I have a similar desire at one house but I am going to mount small lockable caster wheels on the bottom to solve that problem. Or maybe a Magico A3 (maybe used to hit the budget)...really capable though the woofer is not big as what you said. Also, I think there are some quite good subs within your budget though you also need either flexible bass management (Parasound, Outlaw) or good room correction (ARC, Audyssey, Dirac).

DrZingo

Do you already have an amp? If not, I suppose you could always consider the Genelec line of active speakers.

D

Deleted member 46664

I'm looking for a pair of excellently performing passive speakers that are of one of the two form factors in the title, at about 3,000 USD.

By short wide floorstander, I mean something akin to the size of the JBL 4367 or smaller.

What's your application? Music? PA? ...

If it's for music I would suggest the Klipsh Heresy or the JBL L-100 both excellent speakers with rather surprising performance.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Still considering (with price estimates)
Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX [3565 USD + customs]

not really sure about NZ but Arendal markets their prices as everything included for most ot the world

RMW_NJ

I recommend reaching out to Dennis Murphy and see if he ships to NZ. If so, I highly recommend the Philharmonic BMR. I received mine a few days ago, and it’s not a stretch to say it is the best speaker I’ve ever owned.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF R3's but why passive? I'd look at Genelec.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I need advice quick. Thinking of March Sointuva (I get 15% off very temporarily). I can't decide if I should go for Sointuva and sacrifice power handling, or spend roughly the same and get the Arendal 1723 Monitor THX (which has not as good a spinorama I think).

Also considering RBH SV-831R.

I almost bought the Sointuva yesterday. I just don't know if it will get significantly louder than my JBL Studio 530's.

I recommend reaching out to Dennis Murphy and see if he ships to NZ. If so, I highly recommend the Philharmonic BMR. I received mine a few days ago, and it’s not a stretch to say it is the best speaker I’ve ever owned.
I'm concerned it wouldn't get much louder than my 530's. But looks amazing.
KEF R3's but why passive? I'd look at Genelec.
Because I've spent many hours building my Neurochrome Modulus-686 power amp.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Primarily for music but also occasional movie. Speakers will be complemented with two subs at some point but I'll worry about that a lot later.

"Large Bookshelf" (preferred form factor)

Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX
JBL LSR6332
JTR Noesis 110HT

"Short wide floorstander" (to consider)

JBL 4722N

---

I'm currently most in favour of the Arendal and the LSR6332, because they have good measurements, although the Arendal is lacking THD measurements.

Question: what other top tier speakers are worth considering in these somewhat rare to find form factors?
Should also consider the March Audio Sointuva.

Top Bottom