• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3D video is dead, dead, dead

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All major companies exiting 3D TV business this year: http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-tv-is-dead-2017-1

"Sometimes the consumer electronics industry tries to sell a new technology that consumers thoroughly reject — and as a result, it goes on the trash pile of products that were "before their time," to put it nicely.

Here's a great example: 3D TV, which is officially dead. There are no more major TV-makers that make 3D TVs anymore.

The last two TV-makers to build 3D functionality into their sets, LG and Sony, will not build any new sets this year that can show 3D movies and TV shows, CNET reports.

LG and Sony follow other TV-makers — including Vizio, Sharp, and TCL — that removed 3D technology from their product lines.

In 2010, shortly after the success of "Avatar," the first 3D blockbuster, TV companies started throwing their entire engineering and marketing might behind the 3D tech. But ultimately, seven years later, "3D capability was never really universally embraced in the industry for home use, and it's just not a key buying factor when selecting a new TV," an LG product director told CNET.

Now the TV industry is focusing on 4K, HDR, and smart-TV features as ways to entice buyers to upgrade their sets. In 2012, 3D TVs accounted for 23% of all dollars spent on TVs, according to the NPD Group.

Today, 3D TV is used in the industry as a shorthand warning to those backing buzzy technologies like virtual reality, augmented reality, and wearables: Even if everyone is doing it doesn't mean it will catch on with consumers."

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was dead to me almost as soon as it came out. I gave it some time for the hardware and software to improve, but it didn't, much. It always looked like a parlor trick to me, and it was never pleasant to watch for more than a few minutes. I don't even care for 3D movies in the theater. But consider the source. I'm holding tight onto my dark, brooding old Panasonic plasma. It looks like movies to me, where your average $2k Samsung brings great film just that much closer to early video tape in Candyland.

Tim

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh darn, another "gotta get one of those" that has passed me by...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I recently read a article somewhere that the same can be said of curved screens.
Yes, I forgot to mention that in my CES thread. LG already gone to flat and Samsung has started to ship flat although I don't think they have given up completely. But I am sure they will soon.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That was my initial attitude about 3d, however I thought the processing improved and some of the movies in the last two years did provide something worthwhile. Not got to have, but nice in some cases. It didn't even bother me anymore it was so good. I also thought it would go good with VR, AR and gaming. What home versions needed was the 4 K TV. You need to have a pair of 2 K frames so you don't lose resolution down to below HD levels. So I was hoping 4K and 3D would finally team up to make it good in your home. And now they are killing it?

Well they are certainly throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks. 4K TV with really no broadcasts for it. 3D dropped before they could team up. My phone can do 4k vids since last year, my TV wasn't and 3D is gone.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Phones are for phone calls, not watching movies. LOL ;)
No not watch 4k. That phone makes 4k video recordings. Fairly nice looking on 2k but I lack a 4k screen to watch them on.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No not watch 4k. That phone makes 4k video recordings. Fairly nice looking on 2k but I lack a 4k screen to watch them on.
Ah I missed that. :confused:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am sure there will be a cult following for 3-D for a long time.
Just like the Hollywood La La's and Scientology. LOL

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honest question: What was those screens curvature purpose?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
For TVs, most people say they are a gimmick, a new decorative art form, a consumer buying attraction, a geometric distraction, on its way to extinction.
...A gap between 3D and 4K. Now that 3D is following the dodo so are curved TVs.

Welcome to the new world, the new vision; Dolby, 4K, 8K, ...all that jazz.... And, 3D 360° Virtual Reality.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Richard Nixon as VP met with Nikita Khrushchev in 1959. Mr. K asked about the ominous tailfins that looked like they might fire rockets on the 1959 Caddy limo. Wanted to know what do those do? Nixon's reply "those.....huh............those sell Cadillacs".

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I thought the purpose of the curve was to give a more immersive experience, provided that you sat close enough that you were at the point of focus - equal distance from your eyes to both the centre and edges of the screen. I tried it in a shop, it felt quite distracting.

top443

Very few films really did 3D well.

Also I find the TV 3D effect to be a lot better than the Real3D cinema DLP implementation.

Godard's Goodbye to Language (2014) and Underworld Awakening (2012) are probably my favorite.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I thought the purpose of the curve was to give a more immersive experience, provided that you sat close enough that you were at the point of focus - equal distance from your eyes to both the centre and edges of the screen. I tried it in a shop, it felt quite distracting.

Agreed, plus I always felt the curve acted as a great collector to beam any ambient light in the room directly into your eyes.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Very few films really did 3D well.

Also I find the TV 3D effect to be a lot better than the Real3D cinema DLP implementation.

Godard's Goodbye to Language (2014) and Underworld Awakening (2012) are probably my favorite.
Yawn. Yes, it is dead. I feel it was yet another concept rushed to market, thinking the imperfect, but "OMG, wow", factor would somehow overcome its rather obvious technical limitations as implemented. I predict it will return again someday in more sophisticated form, but it might suffer the same fate again.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There have been some interesting developments in head-up displays and simulator displays using various 3D technologies with eye-tracking software to provide a pretty immersive experience for at least one user. Don't see it coming to the consumer anytime soon, but when 4K starts to saturate the market they have to find something New and Improved to sell to the masses.

Top Bottom