• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3D sound plug in for Chrome.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw this on another forum. It is interesting.

https://cloud.aria3d.com/#/welcome

You can listen to some demos thru your browser or install a plug in for the Chrome browser.

The version for speakers works much better than the headphones. If you wish to install the plug in you will need to create an account. Once you do this you can open your own music files and they get processed for you to listen to in 3D.

It works at least partly thru speaker crosstalk cancellation. Works pretty well. Reminds me of Qsound only better.

I tried it with some unprocessed mid side recordings. It didn't work well at all. I tried it with commercial recordings and some of my own multi-miked panned stereo recordings and it could provide a nice solid surround imaging effect. Seems to give a more solid image with virtual images between speakers.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to some of you.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's really cool. Listening with headphones it makes the soundstage twice as big as your head with tons of space between elements. It is in a sense too good in that you are constantly paying attention to the magic it performs.

Recommend everyone try it. Just takes a few seconds to install the extension and play the same files.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It works better if you move the speakers closer. Ideally, about 20 to 30 degrees.

Welcome to ASR. STC is who posted a thread about it over at CA which is how I found out about it in the first place.

Glad to see you here.

Reactions: STC

STC

Welcome to ASR. STC is who posted a thread about it over at CA which is how I found out about it in the first place.

Glad to see you here.

The pleasure is mine. Sorry for not recognizing your handle in CA. :)

I am not sure how well RACE would work with HTML5 for a proper hifi setup. I think for those who are serious about exploring 3D sound should get the AMTRA player or Hotto's free version. You need to adjust the delay and recursion for true 3D sound which cannot be done with Aria3D.

Thanx for posting this here.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We need a Roon plug-in for this! Stand-alone app would be fun to play with but to the extent we want to integrate it into our everyday system, need something that works with our favorite player.

This reminds me of a story and why I don't like to test drive headphones at shows. :)

I was at Microsoft and get a request from a major Japanese company to come and show us some new technology. I arrive at the conference room where they had set their system up with was a 3-D headphone system similar to this. Typical of Japanese culture, these guys were all dressed in suits and such. I look at the engineer who was doing the setup and sweat is pouring all over his face. I am talking like he has just walked out of a shower. He is wearing these big headphone camps and to my horror, I am asked to listen to the same set of headphones!!! There was just no way I could get out of this invitation. I grab the headphone and put it on my head and his sweat was all over my face. To make matters worse, it was not that great of a solution and even his bosses didn't believe it was any good and kept saying this was all the engineer's idea, not them.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Typical of Japanese culture, these guys were all dressed in suits

In Denver (1986) after three months in Tokyo, I had like 10 Japanese from NEC Japan with me for the first US test of an ISDN and X.25 Packet Switch... three big department managers and two hardware/software/and firmware engineers each, and one inspector - a real tiny little guy always with white gloves on and always poking around in something.

We went skiing at Winter Park one weekend. They didn't have any ski clothes with them so they wore their suits. All of them. Some were good skiers, some just beginners. Wasn't hard to meet up after separation, just ask somebody if they'd seen some guys in suits. "Yeah, that way!" "Thanks!"

---

Later (1992), after another 3 months in Tokyo, was in SanFrancisco at PacBell with a prototype ATM switch, with another bunch of managers and engineers. One of the engineers was female, and it was the very first time Tokyo had sent a Female engineer to a US job site. Tokyo was checking her every move (for her safety, of course) and the managers on-site were "responsible" for her, and she didn't seem to like it too much.

Conversation got around to skiing somehow, I asked if she'd like to go to Tahoe for the weekend, and we did. Apparently she didn't tell anyone she was going (they would have vetoed that idea anyway), because there was a big "Where were you!? We so concerned!!" conference call Monday.

I got "dog" status for a while at the office after that.

Best part was I really improved my skiing skills just trying to keep up with her, she seemed pretty much fearless on the slopes. "We go this way now!" and off she goes... fuh...

---

I tried the Aria-3D on the speakers, and it spread things out, but I don't think I cared for it. Tried headphones, but couldn't figure out how to change the setting to headphones, so it didn't work well.

STC

We need a Roon plug-in for this!

I am not familiar with Roon but if your player can accept VST plugin than you could try filmaker's plugin. I am using this plugin with JRiver and St.Cecelia Impulse response for convolution to run a 20 speaker setup. Works perfectly although it take about 30 seconds to sync the first time you start the program.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We went skiing at Winter Park one weekend. They didn't have any ski clothes with them so they wore their suits. All of them. Some were good skiers, some just beginners. Wasn't hard to meet up after separation, just ask somebody if they'd seen some guys in suits. "Yeah, that way!" "Thanks!"
That's a riot!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not familiar with Roon but if your player can accept VST plugin than you could try filmaker's plugin. I am using this plugin with JRiver and St.Cecelia Impulse response for convolution to run a 20 speaker setup. Works perfectly although it take about 30 seconds to sync the first time you start the program.
Thanks. Unfortunately VST is not supported in Roon. But good to know there is one for JRiver. Maybe our Jriver fans can try it.

Top Bottom