• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKR

Major Contributor
Howdy All,

Just found this site few weeks ago, been a lurker since then, trying to learn, my first post here.

Been in the audiophile "game" for decades, been through many systems, had some great ones to be sure, but always felt I was missing something. NEVER considered active speakers until I started researching all the excellent material and forum on this site. Seems to be a no-brainer based upon reviews, but not being able to play with amps is a strange thought to be sure :) ... But no matter to me ... If I can get "end game" sound with active speakers, then so be it, I am agnostic!

Based upon all the reading on this site, my short lists are below ...

Active short list:
Genelec 8351B + W371A
Genelec 8361A + W371A
D&D 8C (plus subs?)
Neumann KH420 (plus subs?)
Kii Three + BXT

Passive short list:
KEF Blade Two Meta
Magico A5
Revel Ultima Salon 2
Revel Performa F228Be
Perlisten S7t
Vivid Audio Kaya 45

Note for this kind of money, of course I plan to listen to as many of these systems as possible, but would like to shrink the list a bit if possible, and that's where I need y'all's kind assistance.

My room is roughly 20'x40', with 10' vaulted ceilings. Will be primarily for music, but definitely plan to pull double duty also for home theater. Music preferences are everything (literally) except country (yuck).

So ... Opinions on the above choices? Anything not on the lists that I should consider?

Thanks all, really appreciate your help on my quest.

MKR

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
It's a dream to be able to do this. I think giving any recommendations wil be hard as the amount of people who have heard all these systems will be very small. That said. The biggest upgrade for me, in any context of audio has been digital room correction or DSP.

So if I had to give advice I'd look at the systems that offer this, specifically:

- Anything Genelec
- Anything Neumann
- D&D 8C
- Kii Three

From your passive shortlist, the most interesting speaker for me would be the new KEF Blade. But also here I'd want DSP.

I think the question you have to answer for yourself is how much DIY/research are you willing to do. Acourate is a fantastic system if you're willing to nerd out and I think you can get just about anything sound good with this. Genelec and Neumann come with their own solutions that are probably good.

If you want something that sounds good and just works I'd probably go D&D 8C.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rough guess ... average around 10'
In my experience regardless of room size (assuming it can accommodate this) the best stereo sound comes from an equilateral triangle with each side of that triangle being 8-11 feet.

Ideally the speakers will be several feet from all walls and reflective surfaces and the listener is also several feet from the back wall. For rectangular rooms, you can easily model the room's bass modes using REW. Adjust speaker and listener location appropriately if possible.

Back to your topic... end game speakers for $30K.

This topic is mostly subjective. To best answer this topic for you, what are the two or three "best" speakers you have heard?

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
If you need loud I'd be leaning toward at least the KH420s if not something larger. Genelec 1237s may be worth a look.

Scrappy

everything (literally) except country (yuck)
I did not like country til a few years ago. If you’re open to suggestions, check out Sturgill Simpson, Billy Joe Shaver, Swamp Dogg, and Tony Joe White. I’ll add specific songs in a bit. These artists are all more “country adjacent,” with some very good tunes. I really started appreciating country music after mixing it live (sound guy here), and so on.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would go for a big (10 inch woofer and up) active studio monitor from pro audio brands:Genelec, Neumann, Focal, ATC.
And would add subs later
You'd be happy with any of them

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
In my experience regardless of room size (assuming it can accommodate this) the best stereo sound comes from an equilateral triangle with each side of that triangle being 8-11 feet.

Ideally the speakers will be several feet from all walls and reflective surfaces and the listener is also several feet from the back wall. For rectangular rooms, you can easily model the room's bass modes using REW. Adjust speaker and listener location appropriately if possible.

Back to your topic... end game speakers for $30K.

This topic is mostly subjective. To best answer this topic for you, what are the two or three "best" speakers you have heard?

Agree with and understand your comments on listening position and speaker positioning, and that is the plan

As to best speakers I have ever heard, now that is a loaded question ... but off top of my head ... Talon Audio Firebird (now defunct), Wisdom Audio $1M system (line sources) at CES years ago, Genesis Prime, Klipschorns, Linkwitz Orion, Aerial 10Ts. Many others I am sure, but those are the ones that really stand out in my mind ... never heard a pair of active speakers, all passive

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your shortlist looks good, but I'd say budget for 4 (maybe 8 in a DBT setup?) subs, and a good amount of acoustic treatment. Low frequencies are disproportionately difficult to control and for endgame you're going to want full control. A DSP solution you like will also be essential.

As for other things to consider: Willie Nelson? ;)

Reactions: MAB
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If you need loud I'd be leaning toward at least the KH420s if not something larger. Genelec 1237s may be worth a look.
I do like loud for sure :) ... The Genelecs in the list cannot play loud?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I'll play :). I don't know the Perlisten, nor the Vivid Audio... So I'll write these off the list.
The Genelec 8351/W371A would have been my dream setup for 2-channel but I find the W371A too dear, 20K for bass modules which is what they are, is above what makes sense to me ...
any of the other speakers you mentioned plus 4 subwoofers.

The best cost to performance ratio would be the Revel 328Be + 4 SVS Subwoofers or HSU or Rythmik would cover a superlative system, that plumbs the depth down to single Hz digits to where the bats converse with no issue.. and with money left for the proper DSP, say a miniDSP 2x4 HD or something better ...
The Magico A5 with 4 subwoofers even those from SVS or Monooptice + miniDSP would be slighlty over the budget by a few hundreds...
I also don't know how the D&D 8C play with subwoofers.
The Kii 3 + BXT is around $37,000.oo, you could hagle :)
Frankly.. You got it well though out:
You can't go wrong with any of the speakers on your list save for those I truly haven't see good measurements for , the Perlisten and Vivid those IDK.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom