• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve59

Major Contributor
The cabinets of the salon 2 put the be series to shame. The Salon 2 is a solid product at a fair price, I know at least a half dozen audiophiles who've bought and sold theirs myself included. I couldn't get a decent soundstage, image placement was outstanding but without the soundstage it was hard to get into. The stereophile review showed speaker setup QUOTE "80" from the front wall, 50" from the sidewalls, 58" apart, and 90" from my listening chair" didn't suit my room so I moved on after about 9 months.

There's a reason the speakers have lasted as long as they have so clearly the company is doing something right, just try to get a home demo, even if you have to flip a used pair.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I would spend $15K+ for the room first.
I can assure you the room will be covered and is fully independent of the $30k budget. I am not a newbie at this “hobby”, been around a while ;)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
The cabinets of the salon 2 put the be series to shame. The Salon 2 is a solid product at a fair price, I know at least a half dozen audiophiles who've bought and sold theirs myself included. I couldn't get a decent soundstage, image placement was outstanding but without the soundstage it was hard to get into. The stereophile review showed speaker setup QUOTE "80" from the front wall, 50" from the sidewalls, 58" apart, and 90" from my listening chair" didn't suit my room so I moved on after about 9 months.

There's a reason the speakers have lasted as long as they have so clearly the company is doing something right, just try to get a home demo, even if you have to flip a used pair.
@steve59 Thanks for your comments. You “moved on” from the 328Be or the Salon 2?

As to a home demo, that seems like it will be fully impossible. But fully agree that is best case! I am not anywhere near a Revel dealer a far as I know, so no clue how I would make that happen. Maybe a very gracious dealer out there

On the above note, anyone have recommends for a Revel dealer located in northwest US? Preferably one that also carries JBL 4367, M2, K2 and KEF? :D … please send me a DM if you have a dealer recommendation (that includes direct solicitation from dealers if you are reading this, I have no issue with this, so don’t hesitate if you think you can help me out).

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I resold my salon 2 after about 9 months, soundstage fur me ranks above a ruler plat response. if you're anywhere near west side of chicago burbs you're welcome to check out my blades, I'll also introduce you to a couple kind shop owners.

mglobe

Forum Donor
@steve59 Thanks for your comments. You “moved on” from the 328Be or the Salon 2?

As to a home demo, that seems like it will be fully impossible. But fully agree that is best case! I am not anywhere near a Revel dealer a far as I know, so no clue how I would make that happen. Maybe a very gracious dealer out there

On the above note, anyone have recommends for a Revel dealer located in northwest US? Preferably one that also carries JBL 4367, M2, K2 and KEF? :D … please send me a DM if you have a dealer recommendation (that includes direct solicitation from dealers if you are reading this, I have no issue with this, so don’t hesitate if you think you can help me out).
You might send amirm a message. I’m guessing he can help with at least the JBL and Revel contacts.

Reactions: MKR

benanders

OK y'all, as promised, reporting back on the status of the Salon2 ... Actually spoke with one of the Harman Luxury US regional reps yesterday, below are the FACTS ...
  • The entire Ultima series has been discontinued, EXCEPT the Salon2 which is still a current model and in production
  • Salon2 margin is very minimal (not sustainable is how I read that) as Revel has not raised the price to keep up w/production costs over the years ***
  • The reps sense is the Salon2 will in fact be discontinued sometime in the next 12 months for good
  • Revel just produced and received into their warehouse a small run of Salon2 in black and mahogany, only ~14 of each
  • In addition, there are more units coming mid-December. These will be new A stock units with full warranty and support.
  • If you always wanted a pair of these, I recommend placing your order ASAP, as there are not that many coming
*** Given it is still such a world class loudspeaker, I wonder why Harman does not "refresh" and raise the price a bit to maintain profitability. Maybe that is the purpose of the 328Be, but from my research, it does not exceed or even equal the Salon2 performance.

Note I also asked about service/warranty support in the future (after it has been discontinued) and the response was that "drivers/parts will be available for at least 5 years. Maybe longer for the Salon2. We still have drivers for the Salon 1"

Given the above, I would purchase a pair of Salon2s TODAY if I had already had a chance to audition, but I will not spend that kind of money sight unseen (rather unheard). So I need to find a way to audition a pair (hopefully alongside the 328Be and JBL M2, 4367, and K2 9900 :)). I would only ask that y'all don't now go out and buy up all the remaining Salon2s until I have a chance to hear them, please save a mahogany pair for me :p

Anyway, there you have it, "the rest of the story". Now to find a place to audition!

Funny aside:
Remember those non-contender Carver ALS’s?
Well I was curious, so a quick google later…
Here’s a thread from 2018 by a LA fan who jumped into a pair of the Carvers, sound UNheard.
*Spoiler Alert*
He quickly traded out of the ALS’s…
INto a pair of Salon 2’s, still using today.

Extra word of encouragement (to reiterate):
If you get a to-be discontinued model, consider getting the most critical/fail-prone replacement parts within the 5-year period, unless you’re okay with buying Endgame 2.0 speakers ~2028 or thereafter ;)

One of my little old floor standing models, discontinued ~2013-14, I’ve seen online several cases of damage to the (exposed) 10” woofer result in a ~$6,000 speaker pair being useless, for lack of a ~$150 part. When parts go OOP for a model being EOL, it’s distressing. I suspect that’s no less in a ~$25,000 speaker pair, lol!

I make sure to stay current on the status of parts for my rig. Peace of mind makes speakers sound better, at least in my head! :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Funny aside:
Here’s a thread from 2018 by a LA fan who jumped into a pair of the Carvers, sound UNheard.
*Spoiler Alert*

If you get a to-be discontinued model, consider getting the most critical/fail-prone replacement parts within the 5-year period, unless you’re okay with buying Endgame 2.0 speakers ~2028 or thereafter ;)

One of my little old floor standing models, discontinued ~2013-14, I’ve seen online several cases of damage to the (exposed) 10” woofer result in a ~$6,000 speaker pair being useless, for lack of a ~$150 part. When parts go OOP for a model being EOL, it’s distressing. I suspect that’s no less in a ~$25,000 speaker pair, lol!

I make sure to stay current on the status of parts for my rig. Peace of mind makes speakers sound better, at least in my head! :)
Too bad OP requires more SPL, because Genelec is well-known for servicing three decades old speakers.

benanders

Funny aside:
*Spoiler Alert*

Scratch that. Cute story of shared appeal, but the guy’s replacement speakers were Focal Sopra’s not Revel Salon’s.
Typing on hobby threads while taking lunch has its hazards of generating misinformation.
I stand by my comments re: replacement parts, though! ;)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I resold my salon 2 after about 9 months, soundstage fur me ranks above a ruler plat response. if you're anywhere near west side of chicago burbs you're welcome to check out my blades, I'll also introduce you to a couple kind shop owners.
@steve59 Interesting. As the blades are also on my short list (Blade 1 meta to be exact), would you be so kind as to provide your subjective thoughts vs Salon 2 ?

And would love to stop by and hear your blades, thanks for the kind offer, but I am far west US ;)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Too bad OP requires more SPL, because Genelec is well-known for servicing three decades old speakers.
8361 + w371 still on the short list, I think they would have sufficient SPL for my use case, but will need to audition.

steve59

Major Contributor
@steve59 Interesting. As the blades are also on my short list (Blade 1 meta to be exact), would you be so kind as to provide your subjective thoughts vs Salon 2 ?

And would love to stop by and hear your blades, thanks for the kind offer, but I am far west US ;)
It's been a few years. I paid $4k more for the blade1 than the salon2. With the same hegel h360 driving both, bass from the blades is much better integrated goes deeper and is more prominent. I'm not an engineer but the Strauss also used side firing woofers and they also integrated better in my room. Imaging from the s2 is among the best while the blades are very close they stage much wider than conventional box speakers. Both speakers are well behaved with no audible siblince. I would tbc

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
It's been a few years. I paid $4k more for the blade1 than the salon2. With the same hegel h360 driving both, bass from the blades is much better integrated goes deeper and is more prominent. I'm not an engineer but the Strauss also used side firing woofers and they also integrated better in my room. Imaging from the s2 is among the best while the blades are very close they stage much wider than conventional box speakers. Both speakers are well behaved with no audible siblince. I would tbc
@steve59 Thanks! Do you have the meta or "standard" version? And what are primary differences between Blade 1 and 2? Is it only the LF response? seems so given the below ... tough to justify additional $7k (difference between 1 and 2) just for a couple Hz of LF response. Would rather add a couple subs for that much money and get better in-room LF response anyway. Same Uni-Q driver. Though I do notice the 1 has a bit better sensitivity. Wonder why ?

index.php

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
Blade 1 not meta. I never had the skill to integrate subs and I tried but AFAIK woofer and cabinet size are the only difference. Kef reported making the b2 for smaller rooms same uniq. I would give cabinet size credit for the sensitivity difference. The b2 looks tiny next to b1.

The salon2 were my first with the be tweeter and while they're not all created equal it's resolution was so superior to the salon1 while being soft that I was stunned. After trying more speakers I think the salon2 resolution has been matched by most companies and for me the mids, bass and soundstage of the blade1 is a better match for my room and components. If I was using a 500 wpc amp when I had the salon2 I probably would have heard the amazing bass I hear others talk about but I didn't. As to blade vs blade meta? For me the money would be better spent getting a dedicated power supply to the aystem.

Chaconne

Just wanted to pop in here and offer my condolences for your having to deal with such a shoestring budget! :)

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some Blade 2 Metas and 2 large subs would be a really nice system. I like the looks, as retrofuturistic as they are. Blade2s are rated for 4 ohms too, so different power considerations.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
To me what makes the Blades ugly are their foots... that plastic thing looks more like in the R series range instead of the premium range.. why they don't make a nice metal foots? even metal spikes (likes the ones from the References) under that plastic thing would be nicer

Im pretty sure the Blades two or Blades would delivery very nice bass, just if you room is big enough buy the big blades, the in room response is -6dB at 20hz for the big bro... that is very enough for music

olegtern

Some Blade 2 Metas and 2 large subs would be a really nice system
Two subs will free speakers from bass issues. But then you'll want high-quality upper bass and lower mids. And the lack of compression on the treble. And dynamics. And as a result, Blade 2 wouldn't be a really nice system in a big room...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
To me what makes the Blades ugly are their foots... that plastic thing looks more like in the R series range instead of the premium range.. why they don't make a nice metal foots? even metal spikes (likes the ones from the References) under that plastic thing would be nicer
They do. I choose not to use them.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
They do. I choose not to use them.
Hope you are enjoying ur new blades :)
The spikes are these circles? What im talkng about are a bigger foot-spikes likes the reference, i havent seen any maybe the new metas have a different foots?
What im talking about is a foot like these Tidal speakers, these metal big foots looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom