• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K BAT Preamp - worth it?

egellings

Major Contributor
Wealthy mega-yacht owners who are into audio may think nothing of dropping that amount of money on the BAT preamp. Hey, get a couple for the kids! The problem arises when a rabid audiophool get sucked in buys this and his wife & kids go hungry. As for the BAT, well, it's just batty. No need for a small signal preamp to cost that much, even if it has a gold plated toilet paper holder mounted on its side.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Don't even have to go out on a limb. No preamp is worth more than a few hundred bucks unless you get silly with features we don't really need. Too easy. Even the ones around a grand are playing games. Sorry John, the JC-1 was maybe the best for 20 years, but that was a long time ago. A $5 chip can match it now.

I actually find my old Nakamichi to be very pleasant to use. If it wasn't so big, I probably would go back to it from my new Asgard.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No relation/Off topic:
I much more enjoyed the YouTube video that follows that 30K$ BAT pre - it's a morality lesson too !
A thought about @restorer-john - do you restore like that ? :p

DSJR

Major Contributor
Foolishly? Back when the UK got access to the Pioneer Spec pre and power, we ignored it in favour of Naim..............

You can make a prefectly great line stage with a couple of chips and a handful of passive components. A decent low noise supply, an input selction and volume system and off you go. Schiit seem to have it good with the solid state preamps they make/made I reckon.

This BAT confection isn't for the real world, but even in these often troubled times, there seems to be a collection of wealthy audiophiles (audiophools?) with the funds to indulge - may be a nice cachet/status upgrade on an ARC Reference I suppose (how many generations of ARC Reference and they STILL can't get it right? :D )

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No relation/Off topic: I much more enjoyed the YouTube video that follows that 30K$ BAT pre - it's a morality lesson too !
That's what I like to see. When I encounter old Peavey (and similar) gear I want to see it dirty, beat up, abused. Only then can you know that it's been loved hard. That's the mark of a real pro oriented amplifier! ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Likely the BAT components are good, but not worth that much money.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd rather have a Denon AVR(certainly not a 2 channel DAC, as I don't use headphones so they are useless IMO). I see no need for preamplifiers in general, not if the goal is a high fidelity system.

Top Bottom