• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

300w Pure class A Monoblock search!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am unsure if it really qualifies as a "gimmick" as it was the only viable option to reduce power consumption for many years versus Class A while avoiding the obvious problems with a purely Class B design. While the best solution to date is Benchmark's, everything audio is a compromise given the limitations of fundamental components, isn't it?
It is, yes. But you have to be a little careful when you simply crank the bias. You can cause more distortion in the crossover region because the total output device transconductance rises there. Generally there is a "right" bias for AB.

TankTop

I saw this on another forum, I think we should require photos of the listening room before answering any questions

Attachments

• B055B1A8-DD85-47DD-B6A4-2E38B811CED7.jpeg
    B055B1A8-DD85-47DD-B6A4-2E38B811CED7.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 99

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Question from the peanut gallery...

Is there a way to determine from the standard specs given where that transition takes place?
Simple answer is no, sorry. Sometimes manufacturers will include it as a selling point, e.g. "class A until xx W". If you are comparing amplifiers rated the same wattage the one with higher idle power may be biased more heavily into class A, but the extra power could also be going into the earlier stages, display and control circuits, and so forth. Or one could really be a 150 W amp spec'd as a 100 W amp to provide better datasheet numbers at 100 W (thus having higher power supply rails leading to higher idle power). Without an explicit statement or a good schematic (that indicates bias currents) it is almost impossible for a consumer to tell "from the outside".

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do all the lights in the neighborhood for a 3 miles radius dim as you crank that up? That strikes me as something that you need to harness a lightning storm to power in order to reanimate the dead. Wow.

The air conditioners around here (Tampa, FL) pull much more. Mine has a 5kW sticker on it somewhere.

Several years ago I complained to the Utility about "low voltage".

A power strip had a low voltage alarm that would trip in the afternoons.

They came out and put a meter on my meter outside for a few weeks.

Then replaced the local transformer that feeds several houses around me with a larger unit.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The reason for the 300 watts, is to drive some RF-7 floor standers I have my eye on.
I don't think anyone addressed this. The Klipsch RF-7 claims 100dB/1W @ 1m. That is high efficiency. 1W input will be quite loud in a domestic environment. With 300W input they will be face-melting loud. RIght in front of the PA at a Megadeath concert loud. On the runway while an F35 takes off loud. Is this what you're going for Lew3vans? If not, a much more modest amp will suffice.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think anyone addressed this. The Klipsch RF-7 claims 100dB/1W @ 1m. That is high efficiency. 1W input will be quite loud in a domestic environment. With 300W input they will be face-melting loud. RIght in front of the PA at a Megadeath concert loud. On the runway while an F35 takes off loud. Instant ear damage loud. Is this what you're going for Lew3vans? If not, a much more modest amp will suffice.
The 100 dB is nonsense. Reality is at least 6 db lower. That’s still somewhere between 92 to 94 dB (depending on where you measure), but will need 4x the power vs a real 100 dB speaker. The again, even 100W should be plenty.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 100 dB is nonsense. Reality is at least 6 db lower. That’s still somewhere between 92 to 94 dB (depending on where you measure), but will need 4x the power vs a real 100 dB speaker. The again, even 100W should be plenty.
Speaking of which, there might be a better choice of speakers for the OP if he really wants a clean, pure sound (Class-A or not). His money would be better spent on speakers instead of amps.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Even so, most towers are in the mid to high 80s, so 93 is still pretty sensitive.

What we really need to know are the OP's room size, listening distance, desired average and peak SPL.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
But also shame to those who have offered nothing but snide remarks. I thought this was a place for advice and growing knowledge, not for juvenile classroom mockery.
It’s not a perfect place. You’ll get both. A thick skin helps as you separate the wheat from the chaff. Class D is your answer. Lots of power without heating up the planet more.

roog

Forum Donor
Musical Fidelity A370 would get you to around 185W and may be slightly more attainable than a Krell?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Speaking of which, there might be a better choice of speakers for the OP if he really wants a clean, pure sound (Class-A or not). His money would be better spent on speakers instead of amps.
Possibly. But if the speakers he loves are inefficient and he really needs the power, he can get a high bias class AB amp in his price range that will deliver everything he needs. Or maybe even a class D amp. If this thread has given any good advice, one part of it is that the focus on class A as a requirement is unnecessary and limiting.

OP
L

Lew3vans

Even so, most towers are in the mid to high 80s, so 93 is still pretty sensitive.

What we really need to know are the OP's room size, listening distance, desired average and peak SPL.
Hi my sofa is 6.2m from where the speakers would stand.

Open to suggestions from those more versed than myself for sure!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The class isn't like a school grade.... An 'A' is NOT a better grade than a 'D'.

But “class A” sounds so… classy!

- “Tell me, what types of pupil do you have here?”
- “We have two types of pupil, class A and class B. At meal times the class B boys get priority.”
- “And the class A boys?”
- “They get food.”

(Peter Sellers, Common Entrance)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hi my sofa is 6.2m from where the speakers would stand.

Open to suggestions from those more versed than myself for sure!
People will accuse me of being a Peachtree fanboy after this, but... This will meet all your needs forever:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People will accuse me of being a Peachtree fanboy after this, but... This will meet all your needs forever:

Not going to accuse you of anything. That's a whopping lot of watts for the money.

Top Bottom