• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

300G Blu-Ray discs?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm curious why you would burn them to Blu Ray disks instead of just copying them to disk, either spindle or SSD?

I use a 2 disk NAS RAID to store my digital music files.

OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I already have several TB drives and NAS. The blu-rays are for offsite backup. Also want to backup my work drive (now over 500G of files).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now I thought Sony was shooting for 300G discs in 2013 (5 years ago)? Anyone know more about this.
They always produce prototypes at higher capacity which they cannot manufacture in volume. It is easy in the lab to keep adding layers to get capacity but yield goes down to hell.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What is the archival life of these discs with all those layers? I must say, what an incredible achievement a four layer disc with 32GB per layer. Wow.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Disks are also good for offline backup. I have 2 12TB disks. I backup everything on 1 bring it to another place, bring back the other one. I rotate every month. I also have a cloud backup.

OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
What is the archival life of these discs with all those layers? I must say, what an incredible achievement a four layer disc with 32GB per layer. Wow.

I saw there is the M-Discs “special material” that are supposed to last 1000 years :rolleyes:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I saw there is the M-Discs “special material” that are supposed to last 1000 years

Let's hope NASA doesn't record everything about mankind on those blurays and put them on a deep space probe for aliens to use as an invasion map.

Oh, but they already did that with Voyager's golden records didn't they...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So I’m looking around for large capacity Blu-Ray discs to burn/archive copies of music files. Largest today seems to be 100G discs.

Sony just announced a 128G version.

https://www.myce.com/sony-announces-128gb-bd-r-xl-discs-for-consumers-85332/

Now I thought Sony was shooting for 300G discs in 2013 (5 years ago)? Anyone know more about this.
No they were trying for 30G disks lol. It says in that article that they announced the spec in 2010 and it took 9 years of R&D to make it possible.

The disks are so expensive though that honestly you could probably just buy hard drives instead.... a 1TB HDD is around $50. Unless you are really looking for 1000 year archival capabilities... a hard drive for a backup is going to be way cheaper.
I just saw a 10TB external for $180 on sale. Thats ~100x the capacity of the current BD 100G Disks at the price of around a 20 pack of them.

Top Bottom