• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3 way DSP XO

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Plates for the amps have been machined. Wiring them up a job for the weekend.

IMG_20170823_193354.jpg

IMG_20170823_193401.jpg

IMG_20170823_193241.jpg

IMG_20170823_193257.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Too bad you couldn't find a place to connect both ends of that orange wire on the right.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
I would have just waited for the Hypex Fusion plates. Especially now that I talked them into using the ADAU1452 like the Dynaudio XD series. Then for DAC's their using some AKM's.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I would have just waited for the Hypex Fusion plates. Especially now that I talked them into using the ADAU1452 like the Dynaudio XD series. Then for DAC's their using some AKM's.
I use external FIR XO and room correction filtering with acourate. I have yet to see any plate amp with the dsp capabilities to process 65k taps of FIR filtering.
Also this way I have ultimate flexibility to simply change DAC or processing if I see fit, being external units.

Edit: just checked the datasheet and the adau1452 can only manage 24k taps.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
I use external FIR XO and room corredction filtering with acourate. I have yet to see any plate amp with the dsp capabilities to process 65k taps of FIR.
Also this way I have ultimate flexibility to simply change DAC or processing if I see fit being external units.

Still you could have got the same amp parts with their DSP thrown in for free for the price of the Nord amp. Then you would be in a better position to decide which sounds better.

You can always use any room correction on the server end combined with the chip based DSP.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Mike, as explained, onboard dsp does not have the capabilities to do the acourate processing. Period.

What would be the point of processing the xo response and phase at high resoltion then sticking it into the dsp on the plate amp to re process at lower resolution?

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
Mike, onboard dsp does not have the capabilities to do the acourate processing. Period.

So getting the same amps, and the DSP thrown in for less money than the Nord amp alone, would have been a poor purchase decision?

You can run Acourate convolution much better right in Roon. No need to do it on DSP chip.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So getting the same amps, and the DSP thrown in for less money than the Nord amp alone, would have been a poor purchase decision?

You can run Acourate convolution much better right in Roon. No need to do it on DSP chip.

Sorry mike Roon doesnt fit into the dsp structure for a simple reason. I also need to integrate my home theatre into the system so this live stream has to be taken in through the motu adc and processed by acourate convolver. Roon is only used as a player for stereo music.

Keep it up Mike, but I assure you there are very clear and valid reasons for all the design decisions.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Sorry mike Roon doesnt fit into the structure for a simple reason. I need to integrate my home theatre into the system so this live stream has to be taken in through the motu adc and processed by acourate convolver.

Keep it up Mike, but I assure you there are very clear and valid reasons for all the design decisions.

You can always just pull the DSP right off the Hypex plate if you found it to be subpar. Then you wouldn't have even needed to machine a new plate.

Just saying this so others reading don't go with such a wasteful route to get the job done.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Great speakers you've built there @BE718 , need to plan my next build ...
Thanks, from my experience with this build I would definitely recommend active with dsp FIR xo. I extensively played with passive xo and dsp improved clarity, nuetrality and image significantly.

Acourate software is my recomendation.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You can always just pull the DSP right off the Hypex plate if you found it to be subpar. Then you wouldn't have even needed to machine a new plate.

Just saying this so others reading don't go with such a wasteful route to get the job done.

Mike, this hypex plate amp is not available and we dont know when it will be.

Yes it was a wasteful route in that respect but those oem amp modules are not available currently for diy any other way. You could use any of the hypex diy amp modules but I chose not to for reasons of increased complexity (psu splitting etc) and size.

However in terms of cost, remember it is dac, amp and speaker, it is still very cost effective for a very high level of performance.

As an aside I am actually re purposing the nord amp chassis for a different project.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
The Fusion plates will be ready Q3.
IMG_1254.JPG

Early Prototype:

IMG_1255.JPG

Voldemaar

Hi everyne. BE718, I am going to buy MOTU 8A also, and go ahead with crossovers on PC side.

Pls, advise few questions:
1) What about ocasional freezing of OS, plugin crashes, etc. How you protect speakers?
2) You use accourate, and what do you use as soft player? What is the role/function of MOTU soft mixer in all the chain of your software setup Just share more detals about "soft" rooting in laptop itself.
3) Do you use sme in built DSP functions of MOTU? Are there any useful for speaker multiamping and correction?
4) Did you try AVB? Is AVB MOTU input compatible and accepting normal ethernet output from laptop, pc?

Thanks a lot for reply!

Top Bottom