• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3-Way Center Channel Only Solution?

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a large family room that is completely open on one side to a kitchen and dining area (layout below). When we bought the place it needed a lot of work so our tv and entertainment solution was to grab a reasonably priced 55" tv and throw a lousy soundbar and wee woofer combo in the cart on the way out of the store. Fast forward a couple years and the house is renovated but we still have the soundbar combo that is insufficient to hear even dialogue without it turned way up. It's not unusual to find my wife or one of the kids with both the closed captioning and sound on. I was planning on tackling an avr and 5.1 solution this year but covid has finally struck financially so that is on hold. I'm thinking a good way to deal with this in the interim until work gets going again is to get a 3-way center channel and cheap amp or used receiver solution. I've measured and the RC263 is unfortunately just a bit too large for the current tv furniture that can't be changed. That stand also won't accommodate a bookshelf of normal size without it pointing at our knees.

Any measurements or experiences for the SVS, Emotiva, or Monolith 3-ways? Other cheap 3-way centers I'm missing? The Emotiva C1+ is cheap and small and the most responsible financially. Only other solutions I can think of are DIYing a 3-way center or a standalone coaxial. Know of any good 3-way diys? Other Suggestions?

And believe it or not, the 2 swivel chairs by the fireplace are the first to be occupied for tv and movie watching. The furthest chair from the tv (long wall with no windows) is 25 degrees off-axis as is the corner of the sectional couch.

1614897934819.png

noname33

Hi there,

It really depends what your budget is?
you have some different options.

you could get a better/higher quality more powerful soundbar + sub option.

You could get a decent inexpensive 5.1 system such as example- jbl bar 3.1, or 5.1 system- 5.1 version is bluetooth system under 500$ and doesn't need a receiver.

You could also buy any type audio equipment/components that are in very good condition- theres ALOT of deals out there if you're willing to look and research. Make sure used stuff is in excellent condition.

For example my 2nd/spare audio system is a Pioneer vsx 9900s receiver(year 1991) hooked up to klh 9250b tower speakers-(think cerwin vega bass) I only paid 40$ for speakers 10 yrs ago at goodwill and 113$ in 2015 for TOTL powerful vintage receiver on ebay. It's not an audiophile/critical listening system--I also have that too :). Point is this CHEAPIE 160$ system can still be hooked up to modern tv's (RCA) etc and it can fill a 1600 sq ft with wall shaking power...and you definitely could hear all dialog anywhere in house. It sounds great until I compare it to my main audiophile 7.0 system. Don't worry though about comparing toyota corollas to porsche 911 turbos.

Good luck

Top Bottom