• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3 Ohm HTiB speakers with normal AVRs?

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
It was asked to me by a friend but I wasn't confident to answer, and so looking for answer here.
Small HTiB speakers (like LG, Sony, etc.) are mostly rated 3 ohm, is it safe to use these speakers with any AVR?
Normally it is mentioned on AVR to use at lease 6 ohm speakers but I would not hesitate to use 4 ohm speakers but I am not sure about 3 ohm speakers.
Any opinion on this, please!!!

Thank You

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
1. Such speakers are usually awful.
2. The low impedance is very likely to be stressful or harmful for inexpensive AVRs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll second the opinion that home theatre in a box speakers are usually horrible if not always horrible. Don't run a 3 Ohm speaker on a AVR because it's just too much as in too low of impedance.

Putter

Forum Donor
At the risk of getting criticized, it MIGHT be OK to use them in the rears as a temporary substitute assuming you don't listen to multichannel music or listen to movies at high volumes. I would keep an eye on the amp to see if it get hot and would not bother with woofer only speakers. There's also a lot of decent used multichannel system speakers available at bargain price as many eschew those systems for soundbars. My opinion of that is :eek: unless just upgrading the crappy TV speaker.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just wondering how difficult would it be for any avr to power such satellites speakers, if even those small dvd boxes could power these up!!!

Putter

Forum Donor
Just wondering how difficult would it be for any avr to power such satellites speakers, if even those small dvd boxes could power these up!!!

Given that most of these sats were powered by relatively tiny amps I suspect not that difficult.

Top Bottom