• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3 dead Sonos Ports

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No it's not a drinking song, just an FYI regarding my recent experience with the newish Sonos Port. I bought one, it never worked and was exchanged. I bought another for another system so I ended up with 2 new Ports :)

About 3 months after purchase one of them died, just stopped working. Returned for a "new" one.
Yesterday the second one died, just stopped working (No signal! said my AVM60). Will be returned in a day or so.

I like the Sonos interface but this lack of reliability is disturbing. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out. Sonos support gets a "B"; they answer the phone and eventually through a convoluted process you get a prepaid return mailing label. And your replacement product has a new full warranty. My issue has been the tech support people are certain that you haven't plugged it in, your system is defective, your phone is defective, etc, anything other than THEIR product being defective. Common problem I suppose.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If there are no signs of life whatsoever, my first guess would be a dead power supply. Since this appears to be your second one, is there anything that might make your mains particularly hostile?

Sonos marketing is not exactly targeting the most tech-savvy clientele, so it seems safe to assume that support will have to deal with lots of cases reflecting that. As someone working in IT support, I've seen my share of silliness in that regard. Now I do know who I'm dealing with, support people dealing with random strangers do not. So I'd guess the default assumption would be user = stupid.

I can tell from experience that getting through support with more advanced topics can be extremely tough. Try reporting a driver bug for a Creative soundcard, for example. My impression was that their support may be entirely farmed out, with nobody even close to development being available through escalation.

OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If there are no signs of life whatsoever, my first guess would be a dead power supply. Since this appears to be your second one, is there anything that might make your mains particularly hostile?

Sonos marketing is not exactly targeting the most tech-savvy clientele, so it seems safe to assume that support will have to deal with lots of cases reflecting that. As someone working in IT support, I've seen my share of silliness in that regard. Now I do know who I'm dealing with, support people dealing with random strangers do not. So I'd guess the default assumption would be user = stupid.

I can tell from experience that getting through support with more advanced topics can be extremely tough. Try reporting a driver bug for a Creative soundcard, for example. My impression was that their support may be entirely farmed out, with nobody even close to development being available through escalation.

I had three units altogether that failed, so I have to believe there is a bug in this relatively new product. The status light on the top remained lit in all cases so they were getting power, and I've never had power supply issues with other components.
You're correct that Sonos is a more mass market company and I did not mean to be harsh, the folks are just trying to do their job.

I hope things are getting better in Europe, best wishes.

Kegemusha

I have the old connect (ZP80 I think is the name) and I am thinking of changing it but I am not 100% convinced of Sonos and I am looking at the port but for what it does I think cost a lot and your post makes me even more reluctant to a change. :facepalm:

Top Bottom