• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3 Channel Amplifier wanted for around 1000$

Marv21

Hello,
iam in search for a 3 Channel Amp for my LCR M1000 FCR THX Ultra 2.
Impedance 4-8 ohm, shorttermPower 720W, longterm 540W.

I first wanted to go with the Crown 1502, as they have lots of Power, but after stumbled across the forum im not so sure anymore.
My Budget is around 1000$.

The 4 channel NC502MP from Buckeye catched my Eye, as it has lot of Power and seems to be better sounding then the Crown - near same pricespot.
Also in my closer selection i had the NC400, purifi 1ET400A, Nord and maybe the IcePower.

Did i overlook something? The NC400 seems better then the NC502, but at a much higher pricetag.
Is there something wrong going with the Buckeye? Or is there a better one around my Budget (Better Price/Performance?) (The Crown would be 300$ less with more Power, but dont have such a high Score here - but I am not sure if it is audible or only measurable in the laboratory...)

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Without pushing my product, I will say that either the Hypex or Purifi will be A LOT better than the Crown. The Crown power comes with negatives (such as higher noise floor being easily audible).

I would assume being THX spec speakers this is for mainly HT usage? If so, the NC502 (even the NC252) would be a great fit without breaking the bank. The NC400 would have slightly better measured SINAD but the audible difference between the NC400 and NC502/252 would in all likelihood be negligible (same goes when looking at the Purifi).

OP
M

Marv21

Thank you for your replays.
Its just that iam unsure if throwing 300$ per Channel on a 300-500$ Speaker is worth it :) (audible).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thank you for your replays.
Its just that iam unsure if throwing 300$ per Channel on a 300-500$ Speaker is worth it :) (audible).
What are you driving it with now? Do you have a sub?

Probably the important factors to consider are the speaker's sensitivity, which is not specified, how far away you are from it, and how loudly you like to listen. The frequency response is also not stated. Given it seems to target large rooms and has high power handling, with relatively small drivers, my guess is they traded frequency response in the bass region for sensitivity so it is fairly insensitive (so takes power to play loudly). With all those assumptions, and assuming what you have now (if anything) is insufficient, a decent amp is likely a good investment.

But way too many unknowns to say for sure... - Don

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just another alternative (for EU mainly) with regard to your initial question.

As to whether spent the money in light of your cheaper speakers. A very very rough rule of thumb. Spent 70 to 90 percent of your budget on speakers. Then on Room EQ and then on the rest.

OP
M

Marv21

What are you driving it with now? Do you have a sub?

Probably the important factors to consider are the speaker's sensitivity, which is not specified, how far away you are from it, and how loudly you like to listen. The frequency response is also not stated. Given it seems to target large rooms and has high power handling, with relatively small drivers, my guess is they traded frequency response in the bass region for sensitivity so it is fairly insensitive (so takes power to play loudly). With all those assumptions, and assuming what you have now (if anything) is insufficient, a decent amp is likely a good investment.

But way too many unknowns to say for sure... - Don
Yep, using Subs. 2x XTZ 1x12 and one Uncle Doc (M 12000 SW). So plenty of Sub Power. I dont know the speakers sensitivity :( Iam around 5M away from them. As far as i understand as they are THX certified they dont play below 80Hz. Currently they are driven by a Onkyo 5008 NR (220W/6ohm). For my Upgrade to Atmos i need 2 channels more. So i thought I will buy a new amplifier for the front, because my cx-a5200 could handle that.

Just another alternative (for EU mainly) with regard to your initial question.

As to whether spent the money in light of your cheaper speakers. A very very rough rule of thumb. Spent 70 to 90 percent of your budget on speakers. Then on Room EQ and then on the rest.
Thanks for the link. The prices are in the range of buckeye, but iam from germany - so that was helpful (no customs).

Top Bottom