• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2x SVS SB-2000 Pro As Flank!

cany89

Hi All! Back again with interesting questions - I guess :)

I'm going to pull the trigger on 2x SVS SB-2000 Pro sealed subwoofers. Right now I have 8-inch no-name subs sitting flank to my mains. Mains are bookshelves that start to roll off around 150 Hz (they are near field, I'm using mid fieldish). And I'm 99% listening to fast rock/metal music where deep bass is not that important (often empty below 60 Hz or so) My questions are:

- Since I'll set the low-pass around 150-180 Hz, do I need to low cut them before their natural roll-off? Like to make them more responsive around high frequencies and not force them to reproduce the lower frequencies where the driver has to slow down and maybe lose the resolution/attack on higher frequencies?

- I'm using RME Adi-2 as my DAC/Pre and using XLR outs to the power amp. Since SB-2000 only got RCA inputs, I can use the RCA outs of Adi-2 at the same time with XLR but it will be 6 dB lower. Will this 6 dB difference be a problem when matching the levels of subs with mains?

Thanks in advance!

(PS: I measure my setup and am pretty confident about those numbers so it is what it is with xover and flanking...)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your subs have their own independent gains, so you can add +6 dB later and match them to the speakers.

As to high pass the speakers, you can test both ways and decide.

OP
cany89

cany89

Your subs have their own independent gains, so you can add +6 dB later and match them to the speakers.

As to high pass the speakers, you can test both ways and decide.

Guess I'll have to fiddle around and see how it sounds best (regarding high-pass).

Top Bottom