• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$2k DIY subwoofer, oh my

Vangelo

Is this dual opposed, but with the drivers reversed? Is this equivalent of single driver open baffle solution? Or is there a benefit to the back wave coming from the gap in the middle? (In case it's dual opposed.)
The drivers are acoustically in phase, so one is reversed electrically. The bass coming from the sides is cancelled.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a pair of dual 12-inch Rythmik servo subs that I cross over below 45 Hz from my tri-amped Magneplanar MG 3.6's. Excellent sound, a very good match to the bass from the Magnepans. Great articulation and decent response in the room at my listening position to below 20 Hz with low distortion and realistic listening levels. Not the thing to use for explosions from lame action movies, but these have provided the only realistic kick-drum sound I've heard from a system in recent memory. Power comes from a pair of Hypex NC400 mono amps with giant linear power supplies. The Hypex amps are modified to be used with Rythmik's servo system.

I've tried other subs with the Magneplanars and nothing else really worked. To match the sound of the panel speakers, you just can't use box-type subwoofers, there is just too much stored energy. And as Siegfried Linkwitz found, open baffle woofers do not excite nasty room modes to the extent that monkey coffins do.

Top Bottom