• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2ch Arcam with Anthem MRX 740 — help needed for newbie decision analysis paralysis

MAJAB

New member / new to hobby offering THANKS for recent guidance gained from the collective knowledge on site and a few questions to break my analysis paralysis! Thanks in advance for your patience with any dumb questions.

I recently ordered an MRX 740 after testing out an MRX 540 at home. I plan to use it 50-50 for HT and 2ch audio in a challenging room (lower level family/rec room with 6.8 to 8’ ceilings, real wood paneling, drywall, windows, treadmill etc). I got a great deal on the MRX and have some money in the tank for some acoustical treatments (nothing fancy) and a 2ch amp with HT by-pass. I came across a good outlet deal on an Arcam SA30 which also includes Dirac Live.
Do you it’s worth it given Anthem’s ARC Genesis? Do you think it will deliver a richer musical experience (at lower volumes preferably) that I’d actually experience? Unfortunately, I can’t formally test the Arcam at home without purchasing it.

Alternatively, if a 2 ch without Dirac is a worthwhile upgrade, can anyone recommend any other models with HT bypass below $2k? Every model I’ve read about is now a jumbled mess in my brain!

For what it’s worth, I’m using Paradigm Premier 700s in the front with a matching center channel on the way. I also have a REL t/7x sub. My old Polk satellites will continue to serve as my surrounds for the time being. I also have a WiiM Pro Plus that delivers most of the music I listen to. I previously listened to HT and music using a 25 year old Sony STR DE 845 AVR

Thanks for making it through this post!

Last edited:
New member / new to hobby offering THANKS for recent guidance gained from the collective knowledge on site and a few questions to break my analysis paralysis! Thanks in advance for your patience with any dumb questions.

I recently ordered an MRX 740 after testing out an MRX 540 at home. I plan to use it 50-50 for HT and 2ch audio in a challenging room (lower level family/rec room with 6.8 to 8’ ceilings, real wood paneling, drywall, windows, treadmill etc). I got a great deal on the MRX and have some money in the tank for some acoustical treatments (nothing fancy) and a 2ch amp with HT by-pass. I came across a good outlet deal on an Arcam SA30 which also includes Dirac Live.
Do you it’s worth it given Anthem’s ARC Genesis? Do you think it will deliver a richer musical experience (at lower volumes preferably) that I’d actually experience? Unfortunately, I can’t formally test the Arcam at home without purchasing it.

Alternatively, if a 2 ch without Dirac is a worthwhile upgrade, can anyone recommend any other models with HT bypass below $2k? Every model I’ve read about is now a jumbled mess in my brain!

For what it’s worth, I’m using Paradigm Premier 700s in the front with a matching center channel on the way. I also have a REL t/7x sub. My old Polk satellites will continue to serve as my surrounds for the time being. I also have a WiiM Pro Plus that delivers most of the music I listen to. I previously listened to HT and music using a 25 year old Sony STR DE 845 AVR

Thanks for making it through this post!

It is mostly subjective, so I don't think anyone can tell you which one would deliver "a richer musical experience". What may be "richer" to someone, may not be to you. I can, however, say that Dirac Live will likely give you smoother frequency response, especially in the 200 Hz range, but that's based on objective measurements that I have taken, ommv..

I would have just ordered an avr with the possibility of Dirac, probably either Denon or Marantz.

Thank you for the feedback. I’m thinking I should also a consider a 2ch amp (non integrated) as a possibility.

Thank you for the feedback. I’m thinking I should also a consider a 2ch amp (non integrated) as a possibility.
Yes just a power amp would work fine, if you need it. No need to duplicate gear with another integrated as well as just simply more cost effective. If itching to buy something maybe a better sub?

Thank you all for the advice. A local dealer also did not think the Arcam would not necessarily be a marked improvement to make the purchase worthwhile given what I have. He suggested that I use the MRX and ARC Genesis for a while. And then, if I feel the urge to add an amp, I should opt for a different amp (integrated or not) like a Rotel 1582 for a noticeable change in sound. With your feedback and other counsel, I’ll give the MRX some time on its own and play around with some room treatments.

Thank you all for the advice. A local dealer also did not think the Arcam would not necessarily be a marked improvement to make the purchase worthwhile given what I have. He suggested that I use the MRX and ARC Genesis for a while. And then, if I feel the urge to add an amp, I should opt for a different amp (integrated or not) like a Rotel 1582 for a noticeable change in sound. With your feedback and other counsel, I’ll give the MRX some time on its own and play around with some room treatments.
In my opinion, the MRX740, much better than its predecessor in specs/measurements, is a high quality unit, just too bad it does not offer two discrete subwoofer outputs, at their price point, that sort of turn me off, but then if one does not need that feature, it will still be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom