• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

24 Hours With A Michelin Star Sushi Chef: Sushi Kimura

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Japan was the one country that the more I went there, the less I understood it

Walking back to Shinjuku Station one evening... Lots of yelling and a big crowd of people.

Despite the generally courteous nature of the Japanese, it is not uncommon for someone to be yelling about something.

So we start making our way through the crowd, toward the Station entrance.

We can see who is yelling now, standing a little above the crowd. Then he disappears from view.

The crowd then yells, and we see things flying through the air toward where the yeller was yelling.

Then another yeller appeared, and stopped, and the crowd yelled, and more stuff flew through the air.

We continued forward, and see that the new yeller is standing on a huge pile of luggage. When he finished, more luggage flew onto the pile from the crowd.

I was next to a wall at this point, As the crowd yelled again I heard yelling from above.

I looked up.

Three Cheerleaders, with pom-poms.

Ah, so it had something to do with Sports.... I guess... Hard to tell, for sure...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Japan was the one country that the more I went there, the less I understood it. It was probably the toughest place for me as a vegetarian to find a decent meal- our business partners there took us to some amazingly elaborate restaurants in Tokyo, and I felt a bit bad for not really eating anything.
Kyoto is the mecca for vegetarian food in Japan. Amazing quality vegetables, tofu, etc. There is a great market where there was a stall that would have samples of fresh made tofu. I still remember the wonderful foods and experiences I had there.

Here are some pictures I took over the years there:

My favorite pickle store where they had samples for everything:

_G5T0063-L.jpg

_G5T0060-L.jpg

_MG_1728-L.jpg

$60 mellon:
_MG_8430-X3.jpg

Fresh Mochi being made:

_MG_1738-XL.jpg

$500+ for mushrooms:

_MG_0706-L.jpg

You know vegetables are of high quality (and expense) when they are exhibited this way:

_MG_0709-L.jpg

This place has a fantastic restaurant upstairs where they serve vegetarian dishes.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That melon might be worth more than mine.

Are those magical mushrooms? That's the only thing that makes any sense to me with those prices.

Our first week here we got a relatively expensive peach to see what it was all about... it was, good.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

My favorite pickle store where they had samples for everything

Where is that? My wife loves the pickle dishes here. We could probably get kicked out of that place, if that were even possible here, from her trying too many different kinds. Though we've been to Kyoto twice already, so I doubt we will go again unless any friends or family can make it over. That is looking doubtful at this point. Our friends were supposed to be here now and my parents were supposed to come in April. My parents were going to try to reschedule for May and our friends to June, but I'm starting to doubt either being possible. My parents have been once already and loved it. I'm glad they were able to make it here last year. I'm especially bummed our friends couldn't come, they have 4 kids from 3-10, it would have been a special trip for them.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Are those magical mushrooms? That's the only thing that makes any sense to me with those prices.

Matsutake. Very distinctive taste and aroma, sort of a cross between cinnamon and sweat socks. We would get them at a couple of the SF Bay-area markets, slice them in half, brush with oil, then grill. Wonderful ingredient.

@amirm Yes, there's a few rare places to get vegetarian food (and very pretty ingredients in the markets, which of course visitors can admire but not cook!), but finding vegetarian food in 99.9% of the restaurants is impossible. Even the vegetable preparations (or delights like yuba) almost invariably have dashi and/or Worcestershire sauce, both containing fish. I was in Tokyo perhaps 40 or 50 times, and it's a vegetarian's nightmare. The only place I had as much trouble was Argentina.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to get back to Singapore to check out Jewel Changi, search for this chili crab dish that I've heard about -- and add some Mister Kiasu comics to my collection.

Next time I'm in Japan, I need to pay more attention to my pickled vegetables, but in my mind, Korea is the big player here.

Wondering if most vegetarian or vegan cuisine in places like Japan, Korea and China is associated with Buddhist temples? Water Drop in Honolulu is, and Cha-Ya in Berkeley is "Inspired by Zen Cooking"

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wondering if most vegetarian or vegan cuisine in places like Japan, Korea and China is associated with Buddhist temples? Water Drop in Honolulu is, and Cha-Ya in Berkeley is "Inspired by Zen Cooking"

Often, yes. One of the very finest meals I've ever eaten was at a Buddhist temple outside of Xiamen- 14 courses, and every one of them creative and perfectly prepared.

Japan is slightly different- the Buddhist temples there seem to vary regarding their use of things like bonito, so I always asked before digging in (learned this the hard way). Ditto Thailand, where some of the notionally vegetarian places were happy to use nam pla.

Biblob

Is it the same chef who has been on the Netflix series Chef's Table?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Indeed. The most expensive sushi I had was at a private club type of place.

I sent my daughter and a friend on a graduation trip to Tokyo and Kyoto, they walked into a private men's club in Ginza and the staff didn't know what to say and served them lunch but were very uncomfortable. I had the opposite experience trying to get off the elevator at the women only floor of a major department store, four women pushed me back into the elevator pointing to the sign.

I don't think we ever topped $800 for dinner, but it was always us paying.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
So just how much better is this expensive sushi?

I'm sure you would find that subjective. For me the variety is so huge that there was something new on every visit. Then there are things like the crunchy fat behind a horse's mane, it actually was not very interesting but probably expensive.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Seeing the pictures in this thread reminds me of The Cave in Honolulu. Seriously great cuisine.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Where is that? My wife loves the pickle dishes here.
It is in the Kyoto Nishiki market. See this link that actually has a picture of the pickle shop as I took! https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3931.html

3931_top.jpg

The main hallway is general merchandize but then you turn into the little alley and it goes on for quite a while with food shop after food shop.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Yes, there's a few rare places to get vegetarian food (and very pretty ingredients in the markets, which of course visitors can admire but not cook!), but finding vegetarian food in 99.9% of the restaurants is impossible. Even the vegetable preparations (or delights like yuba) almost invariably have dashi and/or Worcestershire sauce, both containing fish. I was in Tokyo perhaps 40 or 50 times, and it's a vegetarian's nightmare. The only place I had as much trouble was Argentina.
Ah, my ignorance shows. When I think vegetarian, I am thinking non-meat but forgot all about sauces and such.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I sent my daughter and a friend on a graduation trip to Tokyo and Kyoto, they walked into a private men's club in Ginza and the staff didn't know what to say and served them lunch but were very uncomfortable. I had the opposite experience trying to get off the elevator at the women only floor of a major department store, four women pushed me back into the elevator pointing to the sign.
First time I went to Japan, it was five of us there including one Frenchman that would try anything. We are walking and this guy asks us to follow him into some club for "good time" or some such thing. He makes us go and we get into this tight elevator. Get to the top and as you, the door opens and this angry person waves no and we are forced to go back down. After that, he tried a few times but nobody would even take us as far as the other guy did.

kokishin

Forum Donor
First time I went to Japan, it was five of us there including one Frenchman that would try anything. We are walking and this guy asks us to follow him into some club for "good time" or some such thing. He makes us go and we get into this tight elevator. Get to the top and as you, the door opens and this angry person waves no and we are forced to go back down. After that, he tried a few times but nobody would even take us as far as the other guy did.
Roppongi?

The Nigerians will drive you crazy!

Trouble Maker

I'm planning to splurge and (try to) go to Den while we are living here.
https://www.jimbochoden.com/en/

IT'S DEN WEEK!!!!!
I'm so excited.

I think I've figured out that yakitori is my favorite kind of food here. So I've also decided I want to go to Torishiki here, then go to Torien sometime after we are back (and it's safe to travel around the US).
https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/wa...orien-restaurant-nyc-yakitori-omakase-opening
https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0115028301/

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IT'S DEN WEEK!!!!!
I'm so excited.

I think I've figured out that yakitori is my favorite kind of food here. So I've also decided I want to go to Torishiki here, then go to Torien sometime after we are back (and it's safe to travel around the US).
https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/wa...orien-restaurant-nyc-yakitori-omakase-opening
https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0115028301/

Yanagiya looks like an amazing place for yakitori too. Definitely on my list when I go to Japan, especially since they recently loosened their referrals-only policy this year.

Top Bottom