• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

24 Crazy-Ass Hi-Fi Systems

JSmith

Master Contributor
I like the look of this new body design over crazy ass HiFi...

LFaNdtw.jpg

... could be worth exploring from a design aspect, although unsure how these would go on the Klippel. Of course all new speaker designs need a gentle, attentive and hands on approach, crazy ass or not. ;)

JSmith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That myth probably comes more from the fact that the low power class A valve amps clip into normal speakers so sound less crap on horns.
I have a pair of 109dB/watt Tune Audio Animas and whilst they work fine with a valve amp I am using a 100+ wpc Job INTegrated amp with them mostly. Super sensitive speakers are not kind to amps that aren’t super quiet.

When my friend had Klipsch La Scala's at his place he was powering them with a Bryston 4B3 amp and I-forget-which-solid-state-preamp.

It sounded terrific. Super quiet, no hiss, clean and dynamic. No need for tubes.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When my friend had Klipsch La Scala's at his place he was powering them with a Bryston 4B3 amp and I-forget-which-solid-state-preamp.

It sounded terrific. Super quiet, no hiss, clean and dynamic. No need for tubes.
Sounded terrific?
Terrifically loud I'd understand.

I have owned La Scalas, K-horns, Cornwalls, and even Heresys... all were of the EV-T35A and alnico Atlas mid driver vintage. Heck as a kid I built a pair of Belle Klipsch clones using Speakerlab parts. I really love the legend and appreciate the designs, but I could never adapt to the nonlinearities inherent in all of these speakers.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
These probably sound better.

Top Bottom