• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2021 Goosebump musical moments… any genre…

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Top goosebumps, wow, “this is incredible” musical moments in 2021. Any genre. What knocked your socks off?

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Jazz - Insanely great arrangement and performance. Chris Lightcap and Bigmouth. Easy lock for one of the best songs I’ve heard this year.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^That one was a major point at which I thought I could really get into Jazz. ...I even tried to buy it but it turned out that was almost impossible.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Oh wow.... It was cake for me to order the musical disc from Chris. He is SO NICE. He also sent me another one of his discs for free. Did you order from here? https://www.chrislightcap.com/store/epicenter-clean-feed-2015-cd

It was a positive experience for me. Please try again. We HAVE to support geniuses like this. Let me know if you need help.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Large ensemble discoveries like this one are transfixing. Kamasi's truth... a true anthem. This was a huge year for jazz anthems in my discovery of 2021. Such a beautiful example of the classic jazz anthem form with the progessive push that makes it authentic food for the heart and mind. Easy best of 2021.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Bobby Previte over the last 2 decades has been pushing progressive jazz to places musicians adore through his incessant drive and legendary sight. Totally startled by the sensibilities here in such a good way. Top 5 discovery in 2021 easy easy choice.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
One of the most beautiful experiences of 2021 is a remake of 40 year old Carpenters love ballad. Goosebumps and chills from the beauty of the harmonies and the intelligent arrangements are both masterfully layered and expertly delivered with passion and skill. Easy one of the best experiences of 2021.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Large orchestral contemporary works from almost 100 years ago speak to the greatness of the mastery of a once in a generation work of art. To hear Leontyne Price and cast utter angelic notes that transcend life experience decades ago and still do so today is just unbelievable. I absolutely adored what I heard. Easy top 3 for 2021 for me.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
One of the most poignant lyric that I apparently was sleeping under a musical rock and missed for 45 years was Paul Simon's American tune. Although intensely political, it is equally beautiful in its folk beauty and metaphoric sadness of a declining society imagery. This is the stuff real tears are made of. The reinterpretation by Kurt Elling is as transfixing as it is crushing. The recording is excellent, this live recording left me speechless. Easy top 3 for 2021.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
70's Soul ballads we call "Dusties" are the some of the most beautiful songs every written as to sheer transcendent power. A prime example of the form with a full arsenal of flutes, strings, horns, and the centuries honed ears of black church harmonies delivered to perfection. The Main Ingredient simply knocked me out with this 40 year old tune which I didn't discover till this year. For shame and immense delight. A true work of musical perfection. Not one note is out of place or insincere. Pure bliss.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Some musicians are once in a generation talent. John Coltrane is one of them. For a jazz purist you dare not tread to remake or build on genius unless you are out of your skull. God bless Dal Sasso and the Belmondo Big Band. I swear I lost all sense of time and space when I heard this. Thank you for keeping the genius of Mr. Coltrane alive and well sirs and madams. 2021 goosebump favorite.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Just saw this recently...

Very interesting. Fascinating in fact. Thank you Woody. Full of genres I have often wanted to learn about and I see it is NOT jazz heavy to their chagrin. I wonder if they could use a little help with that list. Music is so emotional, personal, and unique, gateways like the list you posted are probably the best point of entries I've ever come across. What a link man.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Very interesting. Fascinating in fact. Thank you Woody. Full of genres I have often wanted to learn about and I see it is NOT jazz heavy to their chagrin. I wonder if they could use a little help with that list. Music is so emotional, personal, and unique, gateways like the list you posted are probably the best point of entries I've ever come across. What link man.

There is also this... Apparently it isn't something everyone experiences.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Prospectus lyrics are from a travel brochure in France. Set as the motivation for Steve Lacy, Steve Potts, and Jean Jaques Javenel the result is ALWAYS Frisson. This quartet version of the legendary composition has some of the best improvisational comraderie, mutual respect, collective soul, and individual skill I have ever heard recorded in 40 years of listening to and as a musical performer. This was probably the best surprise of 2021.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Hands down the most beautiful piece of music for 2021 is the Love Theme by Emile Mosseri who is one of the most talented film scorers in recent years. Can't wait to see what he does next. One of the few musicians that has the rare skill of not making normalcy but consistently stays above average. Don't know how he does it. This kid is a genius.

OP
C

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Asher Gamedze is a UK born South African culturally and it shows wildly in the absolute authentic focus on the emotional center of telling a story with music. Your best drink in hand, your best chair or sofa, lights low, the best audio system you can afford, and trust 100% you will be transported to the best place your mind can take you. Chills with this rendition of the African staple Siyabulela. Lush as it is powerful. Incredible 2021 listening experience.

Last edited:

Fergy

One of the most beautiful experiences of 2021 is a remake of 40 year old Carpenters love ballad. Goosebumps and chills from the beauty of the harmonies and the intelligent arrangements are both masterfully layered and expertly delivered with passion and skill. Easy one of the best experiences of 2021.
I have had the "Magic Voices" 7CD box set for years but don't think I have ever listened to every CD. Pulled it off the shelf and listening to CD6 right now that begins with "We've Only Just Begin". Damn...you're right, their version is sublime. And the recording quality is stunning!

Top Bottom