• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2021 F1 Season!

Pennyless Audiophile

In my humble opinion this is the umpteen demonstration that F1 is too complex today.
The sport would benefit from fewer rules and constraints on the technology side but also fewer rules on the racing side. F1 should accept that contacts are going to happen so build cars that can survive and stop blaming the pilots for being competitive and doing their job. Let them race on the metaphorical knife edge.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The burden of proof being the direction you suggest will kill people.

if you are determined to have caused the incident, as Hamilton certainly was, how is it even a tiny bit credible to be allowed to continue?

It could be simple. If you are determined to cause another to exit a race, you are DQ’d for (at least) that race.

I think what I suggest is absolutely fair, and at least it doesn’t encourage optimally timed unersteer that kills people, whether deliberate or not.

until then, it’s a farce.

Midwest Blade

I think the ruling was that Lewis was predominately responsible for the contact but not entirely. Penalties are applied accordingly and Lewis was served. Red Bull seems to be enlarging the issue with disparaging comments, Max is no saint on the track when it comes to aggressive racing tactics but has matured into a very seasoned driver.

The 2021 championship is still down to the two best drivers and is far from over.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The problem with trying to discuss this is that as outsiders we don't get to see the full rules as presented to the teams and drivers, or the stewards' reasoning for their decisions. We get presented with a bunch of opinion and argue about what we think the rules should be, not facts about what the rules actually are and whether the stewards applied them correctly. Contrast with something like Rugby where we know the rules and get a blow-by-blow account from the match officials about what they've seen in the video replay, which rule applies, and what factors lead them to agreeing whether it's a red card offense or just a rugby incident. It may not be entirely without controversy, but at least it doesn't have the feel of a lottery like the stewards' decisions in motor racing, or the commissaires in cycling.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with trying to discuss this is that as outsiders we don't get to see the full rules as presented to the teams and drivers, or the stewards' reasoning for their decisions. We get presented with a bunch of opinion and argue about what we think the rules should be, not facts about what the rules actually are and whether the stewards applied them correctly. Contrast with something like Rugby where we know the rules and get a blow-by-blow account from the match officials about what they've seen in the video replay, which rule applies, and what factors lead them to agreeing whether it's a red card offense or just a rugby incident. It may not be entirely without controversy, but at least it doesn't have the feel of a lottery like the stewards' decisions in motor racing, or the commissaires in cycling.
As a person who spent 35 years in the business I learned many years ago it is pointless discussing F1 on an open forum.
It is a fan thing and an almost religious fervour, like subjective audio. People have very firm opinions and don't want them ruined by facts :)

OP
Ken1951

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a person who spent 35 years in the business I learned many years ago it is pointless discussing F1 on an open forum.
It is a fan thing and an almost religious fervour, like subjective audio. People have very firm opinions and don't want them ruined by facts :)
Thanks, appreciate this. I recently read online, and enjoyed, the "Lunch with" piece in Motor Sport Magazine. Quite the career!

Top Bottom