• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2021 F1 Season!

D

Deleted member 2944

You are conflating two different rules, Max fell foul of the general not allowed to leave the track and gain a lasting advantage rule, it was only coincidental or ironic that it was turn 4..
No, I'm not conflating anything. The Merc drivers were warned of track limits at Turn 4 during the race. They ignored the warnings. They clearly used that line to gain an advantage. In fact, they told Verstappen since the Merc drivers are using that Turn 4 line, "you go ahead and use it too....if you need to....or until they tell us to stop."

When Verstappen used that exact same line to complete the pass he is penalized. It's a clear case of one team being penalized and the other not penalized for doing the exact same thing.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Its nuts that a racing line that's allowed when nobody else is taking the same turn is not allowed when multiple people are in the same turn.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I'm not conflating anything. The Merc drivers were warned of track limits at Turn 4 during the race. They ignored the warnings. They clearly used that line to gain an advantage. In fact, they told Verstappen since the Merc drivers are using that Turn 4 line, "you go ahead and use it too....if you need to....or until they tell us to stop."

When Verstappen used that exact same line to complete the pass he is penalized. It's a clear case of one team being penalized and the other not penalized for doing the exact same thing.

Dave.
The start of the following article explains this.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...s-you-missed-from-the-2021-bahrain-grand-prix
The rule for overtaking is a general rule for all races and corners.

Iglo

Forum Donor
It was a very good season start IMHO. Good for the sport that Merc isn't wining out of pure dominance with the best car and obviously Hamilton behind the wheel. Both He and Verstappen really made for a great finale although there was enough going on during the whole race.

The start of the following article explains this.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...s-you-missed-from-the-2021-bahrain-grand-prix
The rule for overtaking is a general rule for all races and corners.

Yes, although I did see a replay where VER still had two wheels on the curb* (which, following the rules, should still count as "on the track" and not " leaving the track"). Although it is silly that it should come down to such minute details, it would be good if there is one clear rule.

Still great to see both HAM and VER pushing hard for the win. All in all, both deserved it (which isn't easy to say as I'm from The Netherlands ;)).

* I don't know if this replay video was completely unedited as I saw it on Twitter (and sometimes people just want to make a point regardless of the truth).

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
* I don't know if this replay video was completely unedited as I saw it on Twitter (and sometimes people just want to make a point regardless of the truth).
It doesn't match what I saw on the TV, and honestly if there was any truth in it Max or Christian would have brought it up post race, they don't seem to be questioning that it deserved a penalty at all, which I think is telling.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still great to see both HAM and VER pushing hard for the win. All in all, both deserved it (which isn't easy to say as I'm from The Netherlands ;)).
Can't help myself...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, although I did see a replay where VER still had two wheels on the curb* (which, following the rules, should still count as "on the track" and not " leaving the track")

The white line dictates the track limits, the the curb is outside the track and is not part of it. You can go onto the curb as long as you have at least one wheel on the white line, i.e touching the track.

Let's face it, it is not financially viable for most tracks to be built purely to host F1. Many tracks host other formulas and motorbikes, so there has to be some compromise when it comes to curbs and run-off areas.

D

Deleted member 2944

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just once a season, I would like to see the 20 F1 drivers given a measured standard car (all identical) on the Nurburgring for 50 laps. Award big driver championship point on that result.

Midwest Blade

Perez qualified well enough but his tech glitch in the formation lap did not help his debut with Red Bull. Will have to see how he does in the next couple of races.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HAM - VER - BOT

I wish any other team or driver could break into that triumvirate. Looks like Ferrari has improved. Sure wish Alpine and McLaren were quicker. Haas is just sad - when Gene first got into Formula 1 he said he was in it for the long haul - it looks as if they’ve given up - I hope not.

Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just once a season, I would like to see the 20 F1 drivers given a measured standard car (all identical) on the Nurburgring for 50 laps. Award big driver championship point on that result.

How can I say this...
NO!!!

Don’t NASCAR my Formula 1.

Martin

Midwest Blade

Haas has already wrote this year off waiting for 2022 and the new car formula. The Ferrari power proved beneficial for their entry but the past couple of seasons were very forgettable.

Plcamp

After yesterday’s race I am calling the whole of F1 as a bullshit “sport”.

It has no more credibility than professional wrestling as far as I am concerned. What a farce.

faheem

Forum Donor
After yesterday’s race I am calling the whole of F1 as a bullshit “sport”.

It has no more credibility than professional wrestling as far as I am concerned. What a farce.

I feel in two minds. Looked like Verstappen didn't see Hamilton and turned in and Hamilton just had too much understeer. They're both tough competitors and neither will back down, so this is inevitable. I love Senna and I admire Schumacher, Vettel was spectacular in his prime. All had one thing in common. They never backed down when they had an opponent who really got under their skin. It's been the best season in awhile.

Plcamp

Hamilton was found responsible for causing it. I personally believe it was deliberate. In any case, if he is found to cause it, then it is 100% nonsense to allow him to continue.

The driver’s championship has zero credibility, it’s credibility was weak anyway, given the car you’ve got is far more determinant than is the driver. Yesterday any shred of credibility it had was forever lost.

It’s no better than pro wrestling now IMO.

Midwest Blade

I thought the first lap incident between Lewis and Max was just one of those racing incidents. These guys are driving really hard and are the top of the field, neither if them will give up a place without a fight. Sure Lewis had room on the inside and had some understeer but it sure looks like Max cut across him. I dislike Horner and Marko playing politics and making like the victims.

Plcamp

If Verstappen had died, would you still say it’s just a “racing incident

Lewis, regarded as one of the best drivers ever, just happens to have “under steer” at that perfectly timed moment. How convenient.

Occam’s razor says a different story to me.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I don't know what to think. On one hand, Hamilton kind of torpedoed the corner, on the other hand, you can see his front wheel is in the middle of Max' car. Of course you can say that only happened because he torpedoed, but Max tried to close the door at this point and that's when they touched.

Saying he did it deliberately is kinda hard to prove, he could as well damaged his front suspension/steering and been out of the race as well with that move.

What rubs me the wrong way is the celebration and that he seemingly didn't apologize/talk to Max afterwards.

Top Bottom