• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2021 F1 Season!

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I note that the qualifications show each team’s two cars closely together in results...seems to indicate the car, not the driver, is the dominating factor?

Williams only exception at this moment.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I note that the qualifications show each team’s two cars closely together in results...seems to indicate the car, not the driver, is the dominating factor?
Yes that's how it's always been, it's an engineering competition first, the disappointing but is that the teams won't share are real info with the fans, for obvious reasons. The drivers do make a difference over a season, within limits.

Plcamp

That was an exciting first race, but I must say Verstappen IMO got ripped off with that out of bounds penalty...I hate it when sporting events are decided by referees.

I also note, wrt my icon in here, that Yuki Tsunoda...the first “21st Century F1 Man” finished 9th!

Last edited:
OP
Ken1951

Ken1951

That was an exciting first race, but I must say Verstappen IMO got ripped off with that out of bounds penalty...I hate it when sporting events are decided by referees.

I also note, wrt my icon in here, that Yuki Tsunoda...the first “21st Century F1 Man” finished 9th!
I was pulling for Ver, but the Track Limits were pretty well defined to the drivers and enforced throughout the weekend. MB had a better strategy and Hammy drove his butt off at the end of the race. I was hoping for a non-MB win. Tsunoda drove an excellent race indeed.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

You can see that Verstappens car had a slide. I think he could've closed the door on Hamiliton and just put him to decide what happens. VER was first into the corner so it was his corner.
I don't like these soft track limits. Either put gravel or a wall there, so mistakes have consequences.

e: I wonder how this would've been ruled if it was the other way around.

OP
Ken1951

Ken1951

You can see that Verstappens car had a slide. I think he could've closed the door on Hamiliton and just put him to decide what happens. VER was first into the corner so it was his corner.
I don't like these soft track limits. Either put gravel or a wall there, so mistakes have consequences.
I'd love to see actual curbs. Sideswipe it and you bend a wheel or break your suspension. Although I guess at the speeds in F1 it might be counter productive to health. Maybe gravel or something similar that would really penalize the car would be better. I'd love to hear Frank Dernie's take on this subject.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good race, plenty of interest throughout the pack, let's hope it continues.

When Red Bull were on the radio to Max about turn 4 limits earlier in the race, and then Lewis was told to start observing them I was wondering if this was going to a Chekhov's Gun situation, even though live sport does not obey the same rules are scripted drama it's odd how often it plays out like that. Glad there wasn't a late safety car to spoil the slow burn strategy that was scripted to come to come to the boil in the last few laps, my view was the penalty was straightforward, though I was slightly surprised it was given so quickly, and more surprised that Max didn't get the job done in the remaining laps.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see actual curbs. Sideswipe it and you bend a wheel or break your suspension. Although I guess at the speeds in F1 it might be counter productive to health. Maybe gravel or something similar that would really penalize the car would be better. I'd love to hear Frank Dernie's take on this subject.
I'd love a solution that naturally punished going off track, without compromising safety, the more low tech the better, but I've not been able to think of one, gravel traps seem the closest, but they are only applicable for some circuits.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he could've closed the door on Hamiliton and just put him to decide what happens. VER was first into the corner so it was his corner.
He was only slightly ahead, they both had to give room to the other one, and they both did. Lewis seemed to do his best to make Max carry more speed later into the corner than he wanted, to try and force the mistake, Max nearly made it work, it was good racing, let's hope there is a lot more of it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What did I miss?

1617031085827.png

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love a solution that naturally punished going off track, without compromising safety, the more low tech the better, but I've not been able to think of one, gravel traps seem the closest, but they are only applicable for some circuits.
Limit the HP on the car for a specified amount of time, like the Formula E boost sections, but the opposite. Definitely not low tech tho...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The major point of contention here is not the single incident of the takeover, but that for more than half of the race the MB drivers could just ignore the instructions and run wide in the corners without being punished. If you count together all the time saves, it will add to a significant amount, meaning that based on only that, the result might have been quite different.

In any case, finally an exciting race! Surely more to come!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Limit the HP on the car for a specified amount of time, like the Formula E boost sections, but the opposite. Definitely not low tech tho...
I'd be all for that is the detection was automatic and fool proof, if they could sort that, and I cannot believe they couldn't if they really wanted to.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The major point of contention here is not the single incident of the takeover, but that for more than half of the race the MB drivers could just ignore the instructions and run wide in the corners without being punished. If you count together all the time saves, it will add to a significant amount, meaning that based on only that, the result might have been quite different.
I blame the FIA for this mess, there rules were open to abuse in the race, but not qualifying, and it looked like most of the field were doing the same as the mercs. I expect a re-wording for future races.

D

Deleted member 2944

In any case, finally an exciting race! Surely more to come!
Yeah. The drivers were ignoring Turn 4 track limits the whole race, and finally Verstappen passes using that exact same line and he has to give the place back. If I'm the RedBull guys, I'm really peeved at that situation. Hamilton gets away with just about everything.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I blame the FIA for this mess, there rules were open to abuse in the race, but not qualifying, and it looked like most of the field were doing the same as the mercs. I expect a re-wording for future races.
Yeah, they were like, "you can use it if you need to, but not for an advantage, unless you have to, then you can use it, but use your discretion." Most drivers translate that as I'm gonna send it around Turn 4.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. The drivers were ignoring Turn 4 track limits the whole race, and finally Verstappen passes using that exact same line and he has to give the place back. If I'm the RedBull guys, I'm really peeved at that situation. Hamilton gets away with just about everything.

Dave.
You are conflating two different rules, Max fell foul of the general not allowed to leave the track and gain a lasting advantage rule, it was only coincidental or ironic that it was turn 4.

Re Lewis, do you remember the old spa race in the wet when he was so much quicker than everyone, overtook Kimi, left the track partly because he was so much faster, immediately gave the place back, and then was punished after winning the race for giving the place back wrongly. That involved some shouting at the TV.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, they were like, "you can use it if you need to, but not for an advantage, unless you have to, then you can use it, but use your discretion." Most drivers translate that as I'm gonna send it around Turn 4.
Finding and exploiting grey areas in the rules is almost the top priority of everyone in the paddock, finding a competitive advantage is probably the term used.

Midwest Blade

I am a big F1 fan and follow the teams quite closely. It was great to see it back again and hope they can make it through the season as Covid 19 subsides.

Obviously from first watch Mercedes and Red Bull will be the top contenders, I think it will be much closer racing this season and the tracks and weather/temp will come into play. Big fan of the arrival of Yuki, appears his skills and the Alpha Tauri will be a nice addition to the circus. My first race prediction for the constructors title this season would be a toss up for either Mercedes or Red Bull. I am currious to see if Haas can endure aother back of the field of season, Mazepin (Mazespin) was a real disappointment in both practice and the race. High hopes for Alonzo in the Alpine, sad to see him out of the race. The cars all look so great on the track from a distance, but boy, when you see them up close with all the fins and aero stuff, yuck.

Top Bottom