• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2019 Thorens New Reel to Reel Deck

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thorens has announced their intent to launch a new reel to reel deck, the TM 1600, to compliment their new direct drive turntable:

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/th...rect-drive-turntable-and-more-ahead-of-munich

Expected price of 12,000 GBP.

Will Technics follow suit and launch re-editions of their classic RTR decks to match their reborn SP10 and SL-1200 direct drive TT series?

Will Revox get back into the game?

Judging by the ever-increasing price for used vintage RTR decks, the demand seems to be there.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not impressed, looks far more style over substance. I know it's not in production yet, but the brief blurb on the Thorens website doesn't give me any confidence it's a serious product. Don't see any metering or mention of its record capabilities, just being able to play prerecorded tapes.

Is there a market for a reel to reel tape recorder that doesn't record?

S

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
It is a rebadged Ballfinger: http://www.ballfinger.de/

In the past the taperecorder was our analog ripper.That's how we copied out friends records, bootlegged concerts, etc.
No need for a analog ripper today
A playback only R2R is basically what a TT does, delivering us good old analog distortion at a very high price tag :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With blank tapes at $60 and pre-recorded starting at $200, I don't see any major brand to get into manufacturing these completed products.
Those prices aren't too incredibly off inflation adjusted for what they were in 1960 actually. A 1960 dollar would equal $8.59 today. So these prices up higher, but not incredibly so considering the limited production nature.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I
Is there a market for a reel to reel tape recorder that doesn't record?

S

Yes, for those pre-recorded 15 IPS tapes being issued by Tape Project, Acoustic Sounds, and similar. Some are NAB, most seem to be CCIR.

I have a few such reels, as well as vintage production masters, but I also record stuff, too.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
With blank tapes at $60 and pre-recorded starting at $200, I don't see any major brand to get into manufacturing these completed products.

Major brand? Probably right.

But for niche affluent customers, boutique audiophilia seems to be turning out a lot of products in the $20K+ per component space and the rags have been cooing for a while now about how RTR is "the best analog possible" and sometimes "the best source possible" (i.e. better than digital).

Looking at the used market, one of the constraints has been the supply of refurbished vintage decks in good working order, at pretty much any price.

I probably wouldn't pay $15k for a new reissue RTR deck, but I wouldn't really hesitate to drop $5k on a reissue deck if it had specs on par with a good refurbished vintage one.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At 12,000 GBP, I'll pass. I don't know who really want's one of these. Perhaps someone with a library of prerecorded tapes does.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A playback only R2R is basically what a TT does, delivering us good old analog distortion at a very high price tag :)

RTR does sound different than vinyl. And it's less finnicky over the long run than TT setup with different cartridges and alignments, although tape level setting and head alignment are a PITA in their own right.

But it's really the wow factor that makes it worth it. I have a pretty dramatic looking TT (Michell Gyro SE) which gets lots of admiring looks, but my Revox PR99 gets a lot more "Holy crap!" because most people have never seen one in person before, ever in their lives.

Yes, it's expensive....but not as expensive as the most expensive TTs these days, and has better specs.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Those prices aren't too incredibly off inflation adjusted for what they were in 1960 actually. A 1960 dollar would equal $8.59 today. So these prices up higher, but not incredibly so considering the limited production nature.

The bigger constraint than tape cost is duplication time.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
12,000GBP is insane. Converting to USD and then back to 1979 dollars (I just picked that year at random), that would've been $4600US - insanely high even for higher-end stuff back at that time.

If Thorens can sell a small number of these units to a super-niche set of wealthy buyers, good for them I guess - I mean, there apparently are people who buy $25k DACs, right?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But does it sound different from CD?
Higher noise floor depends on the recording. Vintage recordings, whether classical or Beatles or Led Zeppelin will have been recorded on tape. If with Dolby, then the noise floor will be low enough not to be noticeable. If without Dolby, then classical recordings will have tape hiss on the quiet bits, not so noticeable on the louder bits. Rock/Pop less noticeable due to compression, but still audible if listening for it. (House of the Rising Sun, Animals) for instance. On the other hand, Telstar by the Tornadoes is recorded at peak level all the way through, so tape hiss isn't noticeable even without Dolby. Anything recorded on digital tape, even early on, like Bop Till You Drop, won't have any audible hiss.

CDs won't necessarily sound any better due to the limitations of the source material, although a lot can be done these days with DSP noise reduction.

S.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Now if we could only add DSD to the R2R and charge an extra 12,000GBP, the world would be a better place :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But does it sound different from CD?
I can't find the CD masters that I have on tape. The tape versions sound substantially better than the variations I have tried in digital. They have really screwed up the mastering for digital releases.

Top Bottom