• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2019 CES Asia ---SMSL will bring new product there

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
mmexport1559617765068.jpg

2019 CES Asia will be held at the Shanghai New International Expo Center from June 11-13 (Tuesday to Thursday). SMSL will also bring new products to the exhibition. It is located at Booth 1550 in Hall N1. Welcome

The opening hours of the exhibition hall are:
Tuesday, June 11, 2019: 9:00-17:00
Wednesday, June 12, 2019: 9:00-17:00
Thursday, June 13, 2019: 9:00-15:00

mmexport1559617744049.jpg
mmexport1559617738421.jpg

More information click here:
https://hifi-express.com/blogs/news/2019-ces-asia-smsl-will-bring-new-product-there

BillG

Major Contributor

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@SMSL-Mandy I hope you can arrange to have the new M500 sent to @amirm for testing. Balanced and single-ended outputs, USB-B input (rather than micro that a lot of people seem to dislike in a desktop unit), headphone output, wall power, etc. Looks very interesting!

SMSL M500 new 2019 rear panel.jpg

☆Using the high-end ES9038PRO D/A chip of ESS ;
☆USB uses XMOS XU-208, true 32bit USB solution, supports DoP and native DSD PCM up to 768kHz, support to DSD512;
☆All input ports support DSD transmission, coaxial, fiber support DoP64;
☆ discrete components high power and large current drive amp circuit to provide greater headphone thrust;
☆Use tempered glass display panel for higher light transmittance and longer service life;
☆ Built-in shielded, low noise power supply processing while improving power efficiency and lower power consumption;
SMSL M500 oblique view.jpg

I have the M100 in black and really like the form factor of the M100, M300, and the new M500. I also still have my reliable and fine-sounding iDEA, but that is used with my laptop and phone, so it doesn't get much use as I'm mostly a home music listener.

OP
SMSL-Mandy

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@SMSL-Mandy I hope you can arrange to have the new M500 sent to @amirm for testing. Balanced and single-ended outputs, USB-B input (rather than micro that a lot of people seem to dislike in a desktop unit), headphone output, wall power, etc. Looks very interesting!

View attachment 27358

View attachment 27361

I have the M100 in black and really like the form factor of the M100, M300, and the new M500. I also still have my reliable and fine-sounding iDEA, but that is used with my laptop and phone, so it doesn't get much use as I'm mostly a home music listener.
This item only has the sample now. The only one can be used in the Exhibition.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That SP500 headphone amp looks slick. Looks like another very popular headphone amp....but with 3 position gain and balanced output.

If it measures well, and does not cost as much as the Drop THX...it will sell for sure.

Hugo9000

Can you give a few impressions of the sound quality of the M100.
I don't have any test equipment, but as far as I can tell it does no harm to my music. I have my computer connected to it via USB, and my Denon DVD-2910 connected via digital coaxial. The M100 and the Denon are both connected via analogue to my JDS Labs Atom (M100 to the 3.5 mm input on the Atom, Denon to the Atom's RCA inputs), so I can listen to CDs through either the SMSL or the Denon's built-in Burr-Brown DAC. I can't say I can tell any real difference between them, but I obsess about my music itself and not so much on gear, as long as it does what I want it to haha! I listen to music for at least three hours every day, and sometimes as much as 12 hours a day, mostly Baroque or Romantic/Late Romantic Eras, and have a bit over 3000 CDs in my collection. I don't do background music in my life, I give my music my attention or don't bother with it at all.

Note that the SMSL M100 does not have variable volume output, so it's just a DAC, unlike some of their other models. It is powered only by USB like the Sanskrit 10th that Amir reviewed, but I have not had an issue with lack of sufficient power using just the main USB input. However, I went ahead and connected another to the USB Aux power connection just for the hell of it/for good measure/to put it out of my mind. lol :D

Nango

Major Contributor
Front panel's labeling in the new amp has only one font source, that is strange for a far-east mfr, probably a mistake, should be reconsidered.

Tarzan

Super interested in that new head phone amp. Hope it comes in silver to match my SU8 Dac, the current matching SH amp needs to be "more" to match the performance of the Dac. I hope this is it. If this amp can match the THX789 in performance and in price it will sell as Massdrop can't keep up with demand.

Island_Kenny

Mandy, any details on SP5, when will it be available. I am looking for a streaming solution within my house. SP3 covers all the functionalities I need but I am bit iffy on its 9018Q2C. I am also weighing options of having a WIFI receiver + DAC which gives me more flexibility.

OP
SMSL-Mandy

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Mandy, any details on SP5, when will it be available. I am looking for a streaming solution within my house. SP3 covers all the functionalities I need but I am bit iffy on its 9018Q2C. I am also weighing options of having a WIFI receiver + DAC which gives me more flexibility.

The DP5? I will update the specs later.

Veri

Master Contributor
The DP5? I will update the specs later.
Hi Mandy. About SP500. Can you tell us what the difference will be to SP200?
Will SP500 also use THX AAA modules?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Island_Kenny

thanks. seems that DP5 gets rid off balanced headphone out and the unbalanced is much weaker than dp3 and focus more on the key functions, transporter+dac. the form factor looks more compact although there are no numbers on its size. definitely will consider if priced well, my guess is somewhere around $250.

mkawa

woah, pcm1704 in the D2? interesting!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I understand the desire to appear different and this is a rendered mockup, but consider escutcheon legends placed below the knob will be blocked by your hand when operating. For gain, clockwise rotation always means 'more'- with this arrangement it means "less" It makes no sense from an ergonomic perspective, hence the reason it simply isn't done.

1572857155411.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom