• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2019 CES Asia ---SMSL will bring new product there

Celty

I really don't get the angled or crooked case designs. Why design something that shrinks aesthetic compatibility and therefore the potential customer base?

Jaseric29

I really don't get the angled or crooked case designs. Why design something that shrinks aesthetic compatibility and therefore the potential customer base?
Hi Celty, I think they were shooting for something different. There are way too many black boxes out there. I for one, am not bothered by the angled aesthetic and think its a nice feature and very subtle but everyone has their own opinion. And the DAC pairing M200 has the same design as well. I just received my SP200 today and will order the DAC as well when available. It actually looks nice in person and has a nice heft to it. I like to see companies think outside the box, no pun intended:).

Jaseric29

View attachment 39197
M200 using the ak4497 chip.

Thanks for posting this Mandy. So it sounds like there will be a M200 and M400 and the 200 is using the AK4497. What will the M400 use and what is the differences between the two? Are they both slated to launch at the same time (January)? The reason I ask is because I received my SP200 today and would like to know which DAC to pair with it. If the M400 launches later than the M200 and has better performance, I will wait.

Celty

Hi Celty, I think they were shooting for something different. There are way too many black boxes out there. I for one, am not bothered by the angled aesthetic and think its a nice feature and very subtle but everyone has their own opinion. And the DAC pairing M200 has the same design as well. I just received my SP200 today and will order the DAC as well when available. It actually looks nice in person and has a nice heft to it. I like to see companies think outside the box, no pun intended:).
Absolutely, aesthetics are of course a matter of individual taste. In deciding on a DAC to match the Monolith 887, I actually discounted looks to go with an SU-8 (I really wanted a DAC in black). The $170.00 price, and overall excellent measurements were key. But all things being equal, I would want components to match as well as possible.

Jaseric29

Absolutely, aesthetics are of course a matter of individual taste. In deciding on a DAC to match the Monolith 887, I actually discounted looks to go with an SU-8 (I really wanted a DAC in black). The $170.00 price, and overall excellent measurements were key. But all things being equal, I would want components to match as well as possible.
What are your thoughts on the 887? I was thinking about going that exact same way as well but I liked the small real estate requirement of the SP200 and the possible future match with the M200. And, I didn't really want the mix/match look hoping to not have to sacrifice audio quality for look. I can blame my OCD on that. I am running a Aune X1S/X7S stack currently hoping to replace both with the SMSL products and have a healthy step up in sound quality.

Celty

What are your thoughts on the 887? I was thinking about going that exact same way as well but I liked the small real estate requirement of the SP200 and the possible future match with the M200. And, I didn't really want the mix/match look hoping to not have to sacrifice audio quality for look. I can blame my OCD on that. I am running a Aune X1S/X7S stack currently hoping to replace both with the SMSL products and have a healthy step up in sound quality.
The 887 certainly has the goods on paper, which is why I ordered it (Particularly as the Drop 789 is apparently made of the rare element Unobtainium). It is supposed to arrive this Thursday. The SP200 looks like a great choice as well, and you will be saving some money going that route.

I have to admit, I think the Aune X1S/X7S is really a great looking combo, so hard to beat your current setup on that score. I know they might not be the ne plus ultra in measurements, but if memory serves are very good. I have seen reviews of folk who just love the sound from the pair.

So will you see a "healthy step up in sound quality"? An excellent question, which you can only answer for yourself unless some kind soul happens to have made the same transition and shares their experience with us. Really all the equipment you either have or are considering are top quality products, so we are talking small increments in the differences.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I agree. It's just horrible. But some people will buy it and maybe like it, most won't like the look of it, or buy it, no matter how well it performs. After all, you do have to look at the thing at some point, even if you hide it in a cupboard.

Maybe SMSL are going for the "run over by a forklift in the warehouse" aesthetic, something they have absolutely nailed.

Last edited:

richpjr

I agree. It's just horrible. But some people will buy it and maybe like it, most won't like the look of it, or buy it, no matter how well it performs. After all, you do have to look at the thing at some point, even if you hide it in a cupboard.

Maybe SMSL are going for the "run over by a forklift in the warehouse" aesthetic, something they have absolutely nailed.

Looking at that angled case would drive me absolutely bonkers as it destroyed my sense of harmony and peace!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looking at that angled case would drive me absolutely bonkers as it destroyed my sense of harmony and peace!

It's OK. Just think about your happy place and relax:

1574221316547.png

Or this Happy Place:

1574221464286.png

Celty

Have had the 887 and SU-8 long enough now to give you my own impression. I have the interconnects and headphones all on XLR cables, with a USB inputting to the SU-8. I am absolutely loving the results. Mind you, I am coming from an Essence STX sound card - a very competent card as internal cards go, but the difference is apparent, as well it should be considering the time and money spent upgrading.

This forum was key in helping me make wise decisions - both in reading many reviews and comments, and in folk responding to a thread I started while in the process: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hx-aaa-887-smsl-su-8-v2-topping-dx7-pro.9724/

The 887 is such a solid foundation, with enough power and flexibility that no headphones I can imagine purchasing would pose a challenge - high impedance, low impedance, IEMs, ha, bring them on. I had been a bit worried before actually listening due to some reviews I had read / watched. Opinions that the 887/789 is dry, clinical, flat, sterile, etc. and is best suited for reference analysis rather than listening for enjoyment.

Hogwash. It is exactly what the testing revealed, so I'll just quote Amir's conclusions:

"There is not one subjective flaw I can identify with this amplifier... I did not think it would be possible to build a mid-priced headphone amplifier and beat the Massdrop THX AAA 789. It is clear that the Monolith team managed to go against the tide and produce even a better headphone amplifier. Both subjectively and objectively, the "Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA 887 Technology" (yes that is the official name) beats the Massdrop offering. Mind you, there is not much room left to squeeze one up there but they did. It is like beating the world record holder in Olympics.

Needless to say, it is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Monolith THX AAA Balanced headphone amplifier. It delighted me to see a company dedicated to absolute excellence and full transparency to our sources and content. This is a type of product you buy once and you are done. It made me happy just testing it!"

What more could be said :)

Edit: As to the new DAC from SMSL that will be an upgrade to the SU-8, I'll just have to wait for reviews and feature comparisons to know if I'd consider a replacement. The SU-8 is a darn good product.

Last edited:

Viper Necklampy

If SMSL again would do almost the same fire and hit in the market for price/performance with Sp200, M200 and M400 could be really nice pairing with it, and same design, nice.. I didn't honestly like Sound quality of M500 (Tried both rca and balanced, it sounded worse but more open) , compared to Topping D50 at least, which is also cheaper. If Sp200 does have the same performance and power in rca, i don't see why we have to spend much more for a dac with balanced connection.. I am interested on M200/M400, what i'm asking to jump on it, to replace D50, is the frequency response graph to be under 0,1dB for 20hz-20khz at least, the smsl FR extension for other product we're not specified and when measured was bad, not interested if FR is not good; And it need to have great performance even with Toslink, hopefully latest tech for Toslink connection. I know it would be cost more, but double chip Ak4997 would be better for me. Hopefully as seen here, it will have great measurements, at a decent price ;)

Alex-D

Thanks for posting this Mandy. So it sounds like there will be a M200 and M400 and the 200 is using the AK4497. What will the M400 use and what is the differences between the two?

If older prototypes of m400 shown at some trade show are still relevant m400 will have headphone amp (there is 6.5mm out in front) while m200 will be just a DAC.

Top Bottom