• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

200ASC vs. NCore/Purifi on decent system

drfrink24

Hello folks, first post here, but long-time (20+ years) DIY'er.

Does anyone have experience going from a decent amp (in context) to a world-class measured amp (like the Ncore 400 or Purifi) and their impressions?

The results I'd be looking for would be a more 3 dimensional soundstage and better anchored instruments (all else being equal). Something that my current setup is decent at (in the right room and in the right listening spot). I'm currently considering the Ncore NC400 dual-mono kit that Madisound sells as a winter project.

Some background as well:

First off; I've never heard a high end system. Ever. Never been in a dedicated room at a high-end shop, never been to an audio convention or to a friend/coworker that had a high end system. My only frame of reference are the systems I've built and the rooms I've acoustically treated myself and their results. So I don't have that experience of plugging in or listening to a $10,000+ amplifier on a $50,000+ setup. Or being in a room that's had $10,000 of professionally measure and applied room-treatments. I don't know what I don't know, if you know what I'm saying!

My current 2ch setup is as follows:

Speakers: Paul Carmody Speedster TMM

Amplifier:
ICE-Power 200ASC, in a large Par-metal case (fairly well laid out)

DAC/Pre-amp:
Raspberry PI 4, with HifiBerry Dac+ Pro hat (hat fed 5v power by https://diyaudiostore.com/products/linear-audio-silent-switcher) running Moode Audio and using hardware controlled volume (no preamp).

Interconnects are DIY based on some belkin cable from years ago that was highly rated with some Parts-express knockoff compression RCA.

I realize that room treatments, ideal speaker placement and a subwoofer would improve the sound, so let's leave that one off the table for now.

Jbrunwa

Not an NC400 but I went from a very good B&K Reference 200.5 that I used for about 20 years to Buckeye 6-channel NC502MP amp. I can’t do a direct A/B comparison but i think that transients are slightly better, probably due to the extra power capability of the NC502MP. Other than that, both seem absolutely neutral to me with my Revel F328Be pair. I could swap the B&K back in and be completely happy though.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Years ago, I briefly compared NCore400 against the newer 300ASC (the 300 series is an update to the 200's but pretty much the same core design) and have not noticed any difference. A technical difference that the 200/300A(S)S's are convection-cooled and cannot take high dissipation power for longer periods. Continuous power rating is on ~1/10th or so of the peak power. For normal listening levels with any type of speakers having at least modest efficiency this is not a problem. Driving a high power HT subwoofer etc might be a different game, though.

Top Bottom