• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2-way vs 3-way speakers

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not quite sure what you mean by modal bounce. The first order floor and ceiling reflections are absent apart from a 5K splash on the ceiling where there is loss of vertical directivity. They behave somewhat between a finite line source and an infinite line source due to the closeness of them to the floor and ceiling planes acting as mirror sources to some extent.
I say modal because it's in the upper bass region in all normal rooms and can't be easily dealt with with absorption - because most people aren't willing to put 4-6" of absorption on the floor and ceiling, for some odd reason.

Last edited:

headshake

"Liski, Juho; Mäkivirta, Aki; Välimäki, Vesa Audibility of loudspeaker group-delay characteristics"

The results of this study should not be interpreted as saying that the group-delay responses of the loudspeakers for which differences were heard are defective and would lead to poor sound quality.

I don't understand why this is an example of what not to do if the paper says it ain't so bad?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
If you look carefully your filter exceeds their threshold of audibility in the test by 300Hz so it is not necessarily the larger amount of group delay at 100Hz that you are hearing.

No open access I have attached the pdf, no excuse not to read it now ;)

It's different but they put some controls in to make sure the answers were accurate.

I come back to this. thanks so far

Top Bottom