• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2-way speakers designed for subs

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@sigbergaudio has specifically designed a 2-way speaker to be used with a sub. He focused on reducing distortion and loudness capability, which makes complete sense. -3dB is at 90 Hz, and it is a premium-priced product (~$7k). However, as far as I can tell, it is the only such product out there.

Certainly many/most people want to want usable bass extension from their bookshelf/monitor so they don't have to use a sub. I get it and it makes sense. But there are literally hundreds of 2-way speakers out there all trying to do the same thing.

But I am surprised that someone isn't doing a dedicated monitor that requires subs. For example, it would make sense for a company like SVS to do it since they make subs. I would love to see a monitor that is 90 dB sensitive with low distortion that can play loudly for a reasonable price. I mean we have good $500 to $2000 2-way monitors. I would love to see what could be done if bass extension requirements were relaxed.

Schollaudio

A high eff 10-12" with horn would work in that scenario.

Some attributes I've observed. It's hard find a smaller midbass for just 100-1500hz with low distortion below 200hz. There are some and some are reasonably priced. Dayton come to mind but they're >90db. So for low THD higher sens. you have <200hz or 10-15" woofers, mostly 15" woofers for low THD through the midbass. 15s can have good low THD range up to 700hz if used with 90degree or narrower horn. This observation comes from pouring over hifi compass, voice coil and other sites with readily published data.

IMO there is wisdom in three ways crossed at the Schroeder frequency 200-300hz for room integration..

IMO there is also wisdom in multiple subs well positioned for best deeper bass again, for room integration.

I disregard my own wisdom and use 12 and 15" two ways. Why, they are dirt simple with only 4-8 parts in the crossover and one amplifier. They have excellent dynamic low distortion sound. But have a few integration worts which might not be solvable anyway. YMMV

For the OPer. Maybe look at a simpler DIY around 8" prosound. Faital has a few that look good to 1500hz. Compression drivers are very good as are some 30mm waveguide tweeters that'll work to 1500hz. Crossovers can be a bit more reasonable as can be construction. Your design concept is sound but just not super easy for THD under 1% and you may have to use something that goes to 60hz anyway.

Last edited:

kma100

Forum Donor
Doesn't JTR do the same thing? Large monitor type speakers that need to be augmented by a sub. Same as Powersound Audio.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for the recognition. :)

For accuracy and fair comparison: Our SBS.1 speakers may seem expensive, but they are active, and the 2.5-way (not 2-way) coax configuration of each speaker are powered with three discrete channels of Hypex amplification. :)

RMW_NJ

Not quite the efficiency you’re looking for but within the price range. And based on other Arendal speakers I imagine it’s can get loud without much distortion.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say any 2-way with high enough sensitivity and a woofer less than 10 inches would suit the need if coupled with some DSP. Set your XO wherever you'd like it, match the natural roll off or (provided the frequency response is adequately smooth below cut-off) set it at 90, 100 or whatever you please. In room response of any speaker is going to be different than the spin-o-rama and will have to be adjusted to taste or measurements.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am really just stumped by the lack of options for what should be a reasonably common use case. Imagine, for example, that we had the Neumann KH80, but instead of designing it to get "enough" 50 Hz output that requires limiting it to near field use, they allowed it to roll-off at 100 Hz and elected to allow them to play much louder (as a hypothetical example -- that might not work for that speaker).

The cost of bass extension is very high -- it increases driver cost and complexity as well as cabinet cost and complexity.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@sigbergaudio has specifically designed a 2-way speaker to be used with a sub. He focused on reducing distortion and loudness capability, which makes complete sense. -3dB is at 90 Hz, and it is a premium-priced product (~$7k). However, as far as I can tell, it is the only such product out there.

Certainly many/most people want to want usable bass extension from their bookshelf/monitor so they don't have to use a sub. I get it and it makes sense. But there are literally hundreds of 2-way speakers out there all trying to do the same thing.

But I am surprised that someone isn't doing a dedicated monitor that requires subs. For example, it would make sense for a company like SVS to do it since they make subs. I would love to see a monitor that is 90 dB sensitive with low distortion that can play loudly for a reasonable price. I mean we have good $500 to $2000 2-way monitors. I would love to see what could be done if bass extension requirements were relaxed.
NHT did so and got blasted by Amir for being "incomplete" and the hounds followed.

Anyway, what you're after is something roughly aligned with THX expectations. That is, a speaker meant to be crossed at 80 Hz with a predictable 2nd order rolloff (sealed). That is how Arendal and the Monoprice THX speakers are designed, for example.

DBA ndreas

C6271EDB-F8A4-4951-B7D4-C51FBB934AC2.jpeg
KV2 ESD 6. Excellent speakers if you are ok with the „PA look“. 6,5“ Woofer, 1“ Tweeter, very good crossover design.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Every Perlisten and Arendal speaker is meant to be used with a subwoofer in a home cinema and is tuned to be crossed at 80Hz.

FishInLA

All Triad speakers are designed to be integrated with subs, even their larger 3-way speakers. They target the home theatre market but I have heard from folks getting very good results with them in 2-channel setups as well. Their Gold and Silver Monitors are designed very much according to the OPs thinking.

Top Bottom