• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2-way speaker crossover/speaker type

jst

What is the best/most common use speaker type used in 2-way speakers ? Is it woofer or midbass or fullrange or subwoofer ?

And what frequency is used ? I read that for high it should be 3.5khz and low should be 80hz, but if that's the standard/best then why most crossovers I googled all have different frequency ? can it be customized ?

Regarding Active Crossovers, it looks nice to be able to select frequency for high/mid/low/sub, but it's mostly for car audio where each speaker type be it tweeter, mid, woofer is placed differently and powered differently than home speakers. Most home audio use equalizer for frequency and passive crossover for separating high/low. Even if it's used outside of car it's probably used for stage amp/open area and connection is using XLR.

I found 2-way speakers in my storage unknown brand and I don't like how it sounds, hoping I can tinker with it and changed the sound characteristic a bit more like my wharfedale 9.2 , is it about the crossover or the speaker itself if I want it to sound different ?

Oh and if tweeter says 100watt 8 ohm, woofer says 80 watt 8 ohm then connected to 2-way crossover, what would the impedance be after connected to crossover ? and how many watts is it now 100 or 80 or 180 ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding Active Crossovers, it looks nice to be able to select frequency for high/mid/low/sub, but it's mostly for car audio
Not correct :D There are many enthusiasts that use active crossovers and multiple amps for their home audio systems. Some even use car audio crossovers. It's fun and there's more of everything and as a plus the sound is fabulous.

OP
jst

jst

Not correct :D There are many enthusiasts that use active crossovers and multiple amps for their home audio systems. Some even use car audio crossovers. It's fun and there's more of everything and as a plus the sound is fabulous.
Haha yea I can imagine that.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hello OP jst,

I am one of the many enthusiasts Doodski referred.

Just for your reference, you will be quite welcome visiting and participating in my thread entitled "Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC".

You would please find my latest multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier configuration in this post on the thread.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is the best/most common use speaker type used in 2-way speakers ? Is it woofer or midbass or fullrange or subwoofer ?

And what frequency is used ? I read that for high it should be 3.5khz and low should be 80hz, but if that's the standard/best then why most crossovers I googled all have different frequency ? can it be customized ?

Regarding Active Crossovers, it looks nice to be able to select frequency for high/mid/low/sub, but it's mostly for car audio where each speaker type be it tweeter, mid, woofer is placed differently and powered differently than home speakers. Most home audio use equalizer for frequency and passive crossover for separating high/low. Even if it's used outside of car it's probably used for stage amp/open area and connection is using XLR.

I found 2-way speakers in my storage unknown brand and I don't like how it sounds, hoping I can tinker with it and changed the sound characteristic a bit more like my wharfedale 9.2 , is it about the crossover or the speaker itself if I want it to sound different ?

Oh and if tweeter says 100watt 8 ohm, woofer says 80 watt 8 ohm then connected to 2-way crossover, what would the impedance be after connected to crossover ? and how many watts is it now 100 or 80 or 180 ?

Not trying to be rude but I don't really undertand your question. You found a speaker how do you exactly want to tinker with it? You want to take out the passive crossover and use an active one? Or redesign a passiver crossover from the start? You need to tell us more about your speaker are you saying that there is no internal crossover and there is terminal to the tweeter and woofer seperately?

Crossover frequency is dependant on many factors, many of which takes years to factor in and then trade off but if your looking for a simple frequency to crossover then stick to the normal ranges. I crossover my subs closer to 200hz it works great but most people crossover at 80hz so don't worry to much about a perfect crossover frequency.

A speaker is a speaker, your not going to change much of the sound characteristic unless you EQ, parametric EQ or DSP and even then the general personality of the speaker is based on dispersion, type of drivers, crossover points and other various factors, point being your tinkering isnt going to change what you don't like about it, well at least in my opinion.

I used to be a big fan of active crossovers till I discovered DSP, but until you get versed with DSP an active crossover with some EQ does wonders I rate them over passive crossovers as long as you used some basic DSP to tune them in.

OP
jst

jst

Not trying to be rude but I don't really undertand your question. You found a speaker how do you exactly want to tinker with it? You want to take out the passive crossover and use an active one? Or redesign a passiver crossover from the start? You need to tell us more about your speaker are you saying that there is no internal crossover and there is terminal to the tweeter and woofer seperately?

Crossover frequency is dependant on many factors, many of which takes years to factor in and then trade off but if your looking for a simple frequency to crossover then stick to the normal ranges. I crossover my subs closer to 200hz it works great but most people crossover at 80hz so don't worry to much about a perfect crossover frequency.

A speaker is a speaker, your not going to change much of the sound characteristic unless you EQ, parametric EQ or DSP and even then the general personality of the speaker is based on dispersion, type of drivers, crossover points and other various factors, point being your tinkering isnt going to change what you don't like about it, well at least in my opinion.

I used to be a big fan of active crossovers till I discovered DSP, but until you get versed with DSP an active crossover with some EQ does wonders I rate them over passive crossovers as long as you used some basic DSP to tune them in.
The speaker brand is actually AOWA, it belongs to AOWA aw-88 system, it's not a widely known brand, some says its korea, some says japan, but other source says it's originated from Malaysia, and google doesnt have many photos of it, hence I said it's unknown brand. I only use the front it's 5" speaker, 8 ohm, 100watt.
IMG_20171007_153837_scaled.jpg

About active crossover that's just some random thought that I mentioned and curious about since it's kinda new thing for me and when I think about trying to use it, but it has XLR connections which my system also doesn't have, and I gather it powers each treble mid bass separately, sounds like a lot of work setting it up.

Back to this speaker, cheapest is probably change the passive crossover in it with something like this , this one is NELC N162.
5598569_0c455fae-20c7-4f94-bfc8-82330bb221cb_1080_1080.jpg

Crossover 2 Way 500W-1000W NELC N-162
Filter Tweeter 7000 Hz
Filter woofer 2100 Hz
I searched around about frequency and found 3.5khz for high and 80hz for low which isn't in any passive crossover I can find in local online shop, hence I made this thread. Maybe any crossover would work just as good ?

Or maybe change the speaker driver, because hardest diy imo is making the box it needs carpentry tools, and since the box of this aowa is sturdy enough so box is ready, just need to tinker with changing crossover/speaker driver.

Last edited:

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No one is going to stop you from your educational journey and if your keen to waste time and learn from either dropping another crossover or driver in the system go ahead. But first thing is first your not going to improve the sound in those and its not even worth wasting time on them. Changing Passive crossover will probably degrade sound and changing driver is comparable to putting a 4 cylinder engine in refregartor thinking your putting in a better engine in the fridge. It doesn't quite work like that.

The first thing I would do is chuck the whole thing in the bin and start fresh. Find a cheap DIY project from Parts Express for about $100 and you'll already be comapring gold to dust and the time and money spent will be about the same.

OP
jst

jst

Hello OP jst,

I am one of the many enthusiasts Doodski referred.

Just for your reference, you will be quite welcome visiting and participating in my thread entitled "Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC".

You would please find my latest multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier configuration in this post on the thread.
Wow that's really complex setup ! Do you have sound test video ? I know it can't do justice of how it actually sound in the room but ppl usually do it anyway to feed other people's curiosity hahah.

OP
jst

jst

No one is going to stop you from your educational journey and if your keen to waste time and learn from either dropping another crossover or driver in the system go ahead. But first thing is first your not going to improve the sound in those and its not even worth wasting time on them. Changing Passive crossover will probably degrade sound and changing driver is comparable to putting a 4 cylinder engine in refregartor thinking your putting in a better engine in the fridge. It doesn't quite work like that.

The first thing I would do is chuck the whole thing in the bin and start fresh. Find a cheap DIY project from Parts Express for about $100 and you'll already be comapring gold to dust and the time and money spent will be about the same.
Hahah thanks for the advice. I'll just get something else then, maybe an active bookshelf speaker

Thx

Wow we don't have something like that here in Indonesia. Now i really see what you mean.
https://www.parts-express.com/C-Note-MT-Bookshelf-Speaker-Kit-Pair-with-Knock-Down-Cabinets-300-7140

and many others diy kits for almost anything audio

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2-way speakers are generally going to be a tweeter and a mid-woofer. Subwoofers are generally in their own box with their own amp (and would be a candidate for a crossover between sub and a typical speaker at 80hz). I'd not bother with off-the-shelf crossovers; they're not made for the specific drivers and box design and are poor substitutes for a properly designed crossover. An active crossover means you'll need separate channels of amplifier to each driver, for a system like yours this would not be worth it. If you really want to build a speaker I'd suggest buying a kit that has been properly designed for the specific drivers/box and either has a pre-built crossover or just supplies the components for you to solder it up yourself. Such kits are available from a variety of vendors (at least in the US).

Reactions: jst

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow that's really complex setup ! Do you have sound test video ? I know it can't do justice of how it actually sound in the room but ppl usually do it anyway to feed other people's curiosity hahah.

I always hesitate to do so since no matter how I would excellently record the sound of my system, people including you will hear it with your audio system which is really nonsense. On the other hand, I usually invite my audio enthu friends to my listening room for audio sessions and enjoyable talk on our system. Also you would please refer to my post here...

I do hope much good luck for you in your progress in audio setup.

OP
jst

jst

I always hesitate to do so since no matter how I would excellently record the sound of my system, people including you will hear it with your audio system which is really nonsense. On the other hand, I usually invite my audio enthu friends to my listening room for audio sessions and enjoyable talk on our system. Also you would please refer to my post here...

I do hope much good luck for you in your progress in audio setup.
Well, there's always headphones, but no prob if that's your take.

Thx.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
What will be your source?
If its digital, the most easy way is EQ. This will not make out of a frog a princess, but it can help a lot.

OP
jst

jst

What will be your source?
If its digital, the most easy way is EQ. This will not make out of a frog a princess, but it can help a lot.
Source is D10s, and yea EQ shld do the trick.

Anyway, the speakers turn out to be good enough LOL, it's so embarrassing I plugged the banana plug to Right and Right. My amp has A and B spkr channels and I didn't notice until a bit later.
07.gif
(It sure has weird sound characteristic though, like the high is really short.)

Why can't I edit my first post ?

Top Bottom