• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2 Ohm Speakers and Class D amplifiers

Mojo Warrior

Class D amplification is popular and tends to handle 2 Ohm speaker loads better than most A/B amps. Some amp manufacturers, such as Crown, spec their amps at 2 Ohms. Recently, innovative speaker designers (e.g. Tekton) are introducing high end speakers optimized for 2 Ohms. Many currently available speakers impedance drops below 4 Ohms.

I find this development intriguing. It appears that they exploiting the ability of Class D amps in advancing speaker design. Obviously, a properly designed Class D amp can deliver more power into 2 Ohms vs 4 or 8 Ohms. I am not a speaker designer but maybe there advantages on this side of the equation, as well. Especially when it involves the design of the crossover in a speaker with multiple drivers.

My question to the forum is: should ASR begin measuring the performance of Class D amplifiers with 2 Ohm loads, going forward ?

Top Bottom