• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2 integrated amps into 1 set of speakers

LouB

Question, can you wire speakers from 2 different amps ? Problem is I have a Marantz PM8006 and can't find a "sure fire way to get sound from my Sony OLED TV to play through it. I read about using a DAC & optical connection but there seems to problems there & DAC won't process any type of dolby. Also they make EARC convertors that claim they can process Dolby into 2 channel which would be great but the DAC's in them are probably pretty bad none of them have specs on there DAC's. Other option is sell PM8006 & get a Model 40 but that would cost me about 1.2K
So I'm thinking pull out my Yamaha AV amp put the PM8006 on top of it, run speaker wire from Yamaha to speakers that are connected to the PM8006 & use the Yamaha when watching video & use PM8006 for 2 channel music.
Could I cause any damage to the PM8006 by doing this ? I would never have amps powered up at the same time.
Thanks

Beave

Major Contributor
What Yamaha receiver? And why not just use it for video and for 2 channel music?

You can't connect two amps to the speakers simultaneously, but you could get a selector/switch box that allows feeding both amplifiers into it, then selecting one to go through and to the speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm thinking pull out my Yamaha AV amp put the PM8006 on top of it, run speaker wire from Yamaha to speakers that are connected to the PM8006 & use the Yamaha when watching video & use PM8006 for 2 channel music.
Could I cause any damage to the PM8006 by doing this ? I would never have amps powered up at the same time.
Yes, you could damage some gear connecting 2 integrated amps to one set of speakers at the same time whether one is powered ON or OFF. Don't do it. :D

OP
L

LouB

OK, thanks for the info. if I go the 2 amp route I'll get a switch.

What Yamaha receiver? And why not just use it for video and for 2 channel music?
I guess that would be too easy :D It's a Yamaha Yamaha RX A102O. I decided to ditch the AV amp & go 2 channel a few months ago I thought the Yamaha was going bad, I was wrong. I'm very happy with the Marantz (when comparing the 2 there is very little difference in sound) And I almost returned the Marantz but the phono stage is better sounding & some digital sources sounded a bit better on the Marantz.
I thought my new TV a Sony Bravia OLED would sound good enough on it's own after hearing a demo at the store but in my house the Sony sound is nothing like I heard in the store.

Top Bottom