• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2 channel DAC with level and delay (distance) settings?

jjk1

Hello all,

Are there any stand alone 2 channel DACs that allow for “manual” channel level, and speaker distance (delay) settings ? - I’m not looking for room correction per se or FR filter options, just distance and level. Very basic. I don’t want to deal with microphones and PCs etc, or another AVR.

I’ve recently moved a 2 channel amp with this functionality into another room, and reinstalled my Oppo 105d (as a DAC mostly) and an analog only amplifier back into the den where the the Yamaha was.

The Oppo has speaker distance and level settings and it works great, sounds great, however it gets glitchy sometimes flipping between sources connected to it.

I know I could do it with a miniDSP, but are there other DAC only devices that can do this ? Moving the speakers into perfect alignment with the sweet spot is not possible,

Thanks.

JJK

deprogrammed

Hello all,

Are there any stand alone 2 channel DACs that allow for “manual” channel level, and speaker distance (delay) settings ? - I’m not looking for room correction per se or FR filter options, just distance and level. Very basic. I don’t want to deal with microphones and PCs etc, or another AVR.

I’ve recently moved a 2 channel amp with this functionality into another room, and reinstalled my Oppo 105d (as a DAC mostly) and an analog only amplifier back into the den where the the Yamaha was.

The Oppo has speaker distance and level settings and it works great, sounds great, however it gets glitchy sometimes flipping between sources connected to it.

I know I could do it with a miniDSP, but are there other DAC only devices that can do this ? Moving the speakers into perfect alignment with the sweet spot is not possible,

Thanks.

JJK
Not sure how helpful this is. I was curious and did some poking. The Dacmagic plus has balance controls. That would solve any level issues. It can't be the only one?? As far as distance. No idea.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stereo gears mostly do not have distance control, its mostly available in AVR or AVP only. However, you can still adjust the balance from your amp to compensate for the difference due to distance.

OP
J

jjk1

Yeah thanks - balance is also in the analog preamp and that’s what I use for level, it’s the delay in the Oppo, or in an avr or amp with room correction that i’m really after in a DAC. it would be nice if it were available in more products.
i have figured out a workaround for the Oppo input switching issue. it hangs up, or won’t operate when switching from an ARC input to the optical input, but if I switch to coax from arc, then move to optical it works fine.
it’s interesting but I find music listening much less fatiguing with the distance set correctly, and the difference between my head and left vs right is only about a foot, but in a small room it makes a big difference to me.

Top Bottom