• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
We all have different priorities when we make food choices. Some of us want flavour and pleasure. Some eat for health. Some are concerned about the environment, ethics of killing animals, and so on. Others choose food for religious reasons. And still others are in poverty and eat whatever is available or whatever they can afford. Depending on how you weigh your choices, you pick your food product. For me, I want a healthy balanced diet first, and flavour comes second. I can get that without eating lab grown meat, although you won't find me putting it on my regular shopping list any time soon.

So far nobody has mentioned Chinese faux meat where they attempt to replicate the texture of meat by folding over tofu skin and dousing it with flavour additives. I think they have been doing this for a few hundred years to cater to Chinese who don't eat meat for religious reasons. I have eaten my fair share of Chinese imitation meat - while it certainly does not taste of meat, it is a product all on its own and to me it has an interesting texture and flavour that I enjoy.

And for all you tofu haters, it's delicious. The problem might be that you are eating Western style tofu recipes, in which case I agree with you that it's horrible. East Asians have been eating tofu for centuries. Go to a Chinese or Japanese restaurant and give it a try.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lab grown chicken is on the menu and starting in a nearby restaurant before it goes to the general public for consumption. Will this be a means to cut down on methane output? Will people eat it and like it? Is this just gross and yucky? lol
Did you intentionally wait until you finished your meal BUT before mine?
I think I lost my appetite!:mad:I am not going to read the link!;)

mSpot

The question is -- does it taste like chicken??
Yes it does — you can find multiple taste tests online including blind tests comparing it against real chicken. However, at this point we're talking about ground chicken meat. Producing an equivalent of chicken breast or thigh meat is something they are still working on.

This video has a good explanation of the process and challenges.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can hear it now: "If God didn't want us to eat chicken then why did he make them in a lab?"

Robin L

Master Contributor
We all have different priorities when we make food choices. Some of us want flavour and pleasure. Some eat for health. Some are concerned about the environment, ethics of killing animals, and so on. Others choose food for religious reasons. And still others are in poverty and eat whatever is available or whatever they can afford. Depending on how you weigh your choices, you pick your food product. For me, I want a healthy balanced diet first, and flavour comes second. I can get that without eating lab grown meat, although you won't find me putting it on my regular shopping list any time soon.

So far nobody has mentioned Chinese faux meat where they attempt to replicate the texture of meat by folding over tofu skin and dousing it with flavour additives. I think they have been doing this for a few hundred years to cater to Chinese who don't eat meat for religious reasons. I have eaten my fair share of Chinese imitation meat - while it certainly does not taste of meat, it is a product all on its own and to me it has an interesting texture and flavour that I enjoy.

And for all you tofu haters, it's delicious. The problem might be that you are eating Western style tofu recipes, in which case I agree with you that it's horrible. East Asians have been eating tofu for centuries. Go to a Chinese or Japanese restaurant and give it a try.
One of the more successful faux meat creations comes from Korea and is sold by Trader Joe's:

attachment-IMG-5600-e1657745136487.jpg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to sell the "BeyondMeat" investments; as my trusted spreadsheet tells me its stock is tanking (titanic'ing)!;)

Rngrsn94

Lab grown chicken is on the menu and starting in a nearby restaurant before it goes to the general public for consumption. Will this be a means to cut down on methane output? Will people eat it and like it? Is this just gross and yucky? lol
View attachment 244333
Is this "Audio Food Review"? :D Reminds me of GMO crops which I'm against!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S."

1669140421088.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Is this "Audio Food Review"? :D Reminds me of GMO crops which I'm against!

Could be Food Science Review. I wouldn't mind being part of that forum given that I am fascinated by the science of food. Well, I love food in general but food science does help me cook better and more consistently as well as open doors to new techniques to try.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I consider it a soul-less bit of grub like tofu or curds.
I'm not eating any of it. YUK
We getting close to an Agent Orange deal yet?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll bit :) Well literally I mean ;) If it’s good, why not?

I wonder how much of a resource difference this will make compared to a real chicken? If it is significant, imagine what this can do for beef production, which is a much bigger strain on the environment.

If we can save the environment and still eat meat, I’m good with that.
You don't think the crew of the Enterprise had real Klingon worms stuffed in those replicators, do you?

komeI.gif

JSmith

Master Contributor
Diners in US restaurants will soon be able to order chicken made without killing animals.

The US Agriculture Department has issued approval to California-based firms Upside Foods and Good Meat to sell the meat, labelled as "lab-grown" or "cell-cultivated".

a2d88c514b92434e6e9e4c858b97203e

JSmith

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Might as well eat roaches.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 244333
Does that mean it is vegan meat? :cool:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just what need. More highly processed food.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Wonder how it smells hopefully not like the average chem or biotech lab. ;)

Top Bottom