• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Anything to reduce the amount of plant food in the atmosphere and save the polar bears is good in my books. I already have a large preorder in for insect burger patties.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haven't eaten meat other than fish since 1977 - (well, except for the occasional pepperoni pizza, because, well, pizza) - but if I wanted to eat something like chicken or hamburger, at this point in time I think I'd just eat the real thing. I've cooked meat for the family forever, smells great, just don't eat it myself.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll stick to my protein chocolate powder and powdered peanut butter, when combined make the most awesome smoothy with 50-60 grams of protein. Lab grown meat? Wasn't this in a movie once?

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1640898589.jpg

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I'm equal parts horrified and fascinated.
I was thinking the same thing. Going to guess here that appeal will be generational. Your comfortable with what you grew up eating. Older folks will resist, and younger will see it and eat it as normal. Just a wild ass guess.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'll stick to my protein chocolate powder and powdered peanut butter, when combined make the most awesome smoothy with 50-60 grams of protein. Lab grown meat? Wasn't this in a movie once?

View attachment 244499
That wasn't lab grown. It was dissolved people. :p

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Bring it on, I say. Mass produce lab grown chicken, pork, lamb and beef.

Save the land for plant based foods - it is the only way we'll feed the world, unless we can agriculturalise the oceans.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was excited by Impossible Burger for about a year, but the smell while cooking was too much like meat for my meat-averse wife. Between the cost and the variable availability, I pretty much gave up on that variety of faux meat. Gail goes for butter and cheese, otherwise is mostly vegan and eats some plant-based meat substitutes. I'm not really a vegetarian but want to keep the Mrs. happy,. As real chicken doesn't disturb me, I continue to eat it, so this new product doesn't appeal to me, Chicken doesn't have the environmental impact of beef, but just in case anyone's interested, rabbit has less environmental impact than chicken. The carbon footprint of a Big Mac is just atrocious.

BTW, didja notice that Soylent Green is set in 2022?

DonR

Major Contributor
I was excited by Impossible Burger for about a year, but the smell while cooking was too much like meat for my meat-averse wife. Between the cost and the variable availability, I pretty much gave up on that variety of faux meat. Gail's goes for butter and cheese, otherwise is mostly vegan and eats some plant-based meat substitutes. I'm not really a vegetarian but want to keep the Mrs. happy,. As real chicken doesn't disturb me, I continue to eat it, so this new product doesn't appeal to me, Chicken doesn't have the environmental impact of beef, but just in case anyone's interested, rabbit has less environmental impact than chicken. The carbon footprint of a Big Mac is just atrocious.

BTW, didja notice that Soylent Green is set in 2022?
I have found that the pea protein-based fake burgers are now on par or cheaper than the better quality cow burger. Not sure if they are nutritional equivalents though. The cheaper cow burgers (like McD's) are just gross to me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have found that the pea protein-based fake burgers are now on par or cheaper than the better quality cow burger. Not sure if they are nutritional equivalents though. The cheaper cow burgers (like McD's) are just gross to me.
I have a friend that's a meat supplier/distributor....I asked him about the grade the fast food joints usually use....he said you don't wanna know.

DonR

Major Contributor
I have a friend that's a meat supplier/distributor....I asked him about the grade the fast food joints usually use....he said you don't wanna know.
Thank you for objectively verifying my subjective opinion.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for objectively verifying my subjective opinion.
The only one I like that I run into sometimes is In'n'Out (but went to my first one in the early 70s too).

kongwee

Major Contributor
I will rather get vegetable instead of the plant meat. Meat only be tasty with fat. Vegetable itself already tasty. You need less flavouring for vegetable than meat. Seasoning and favouring are very important to get the meat taste good beside the fats. Of course, fish and prawn can be eaten raw like sashimi. The meat itself already tasty.

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I don't know how to feel about this. The major feeling I have is that it feels very inhuman/against nature, comparable to how I felt about the artificial womb involving a goat/sheep.

I hope lab grown meat is actually safe as real meat and not add to the forever chemicals out there. If I had to pick between Lab grown meat and impossible plant meat, I would pick the lab grown meat.

In terms of politics, I don't care about the environment. This old earth has been through a lot worse in its history. I do agree that the land that slaughter animals use could be used for better things.

JSmith

Master Contributor
They should have tried to simulate almost anything else.
They have... in fact I'm surprised the chicken version is released first, as everything I've read the last few years has been around lab grown beef and the missing fat content.

I'd be fine with eating lab meat for minced meat dishes (any type), but I don't think they have it right yet for a steak with marbled fat, different textures near the bone, chicken skin, pork "crackling" etc. Plus they still need animals to start the process, like fetal bovine serum.

Meat is meat... however I do recall some of these processes were quite carbon intensive, although that may have changed and been refined somewhat.
Meat only be tasty with fat. Vegetable itself already tasty.
Nah they add heaps of oil to those "no meat" burgers etc., vegetable, canola etc., to replace the fat as fat is taste. They are extremely processed too... seems weird to me to use plants to make something that tastes like an animal product.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will rather get vegetable instead of the plant meat. Meat only be tasty with fat. Vegetable itself already tasty. You need less flavouring for vegetable than meat. Flavouring and favouring is very important to get the meat taste good beside the fats. Of course, fish and prawn can be eaten raw like sashimi. The meat itself already tasty.
That's probably the most coherent thing I've seen you post....not that it's saying a lot.....

DonR

Major Contributor
They have... in fact I'm surprised the chicken version is released first, as everything I've read the last few years has been around lab grown beef and the missing fat content.
Probably going to target chicken nuggets and "popcorn" style. No texture is needed and the taste is pretty much destroyed anyhow.

Top Bottom