• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st gen SMSL M8 update with screensaver

jmoflhrc

Thanks for this writeup and hosting the file! I updated my DAC today while I had it opened up to replace the OLED, used my Arduino Uno and it only took a few minutes!. Things are now like new after spending a few dollars on Amazon!!

OLED replacement that worked for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PNHHD5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Jason

toNhwD5.jpg

Wkounob.jpg

RayHahn

I'm so glad that I found this thread! I also have a first generation SMSL M8 with a fading OLED screen (that I got via a Drop), and wanted to do something about it. I figured that my only recourse was to replace the screen every few years, and was looking for instructions on doing that replacement. Having found this thread, I quickly set up a Rube Goldberg-esque series of cables to do the reprogramming. But for some reason, I couldn't get it to work. I had three different USB to serial cables that work for managing switches, but no matter what I tried (including hard-setting every possible baud rate via the Help button in the M8 updater, with all three cables, and also doing it all again with the send/receive connectors reversed (just in case)), nothing worked. I spent at least 5 hours trying all the possible options.

I then wondered if there was something about the USB to serial adapter that you other guys had tried that might've been magical. Unfortunately, the Arduino USB2SERIAL LIGHT version isn't made/sold anymore, so I checked into the similar options on Amazon. The one thing I noticed was that most of the similar open board adapters had options for both 3.3V and 5V operation. I wondered if maybe my three cables all send/recive at one of those voltages, and that the SMSL M8 wanted the other voltage.

The short story is that, at least for my M8, that is the case. The USB to Serial adapter board I got (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBPX8B8 (which I wanted because it had a genuine FTDI chip)) allowed for both 3.3V and 5V. When I tried the default of 3.3V, the programming software never talked with the M8, but when I tried 5V - BOOM! SUCCESS!

But I also found out that there is also another important thing to know. I had seen an instruction (I believe when hovering over one of the buttons in the software) that said to hit the programming button and then turn on the device. But merely turning on the M8 with the power button doesn't get it into its "ready to receive new programming" state. The entries here in the thread mention applying power or plugging in the power supply, and THAT's the key. The communication/programming doesn't happen if you hit the program button in the software and then hit the power button - you have to plug in the power supply. (The M8 remembers the last power-on state, and I'm pretty sure that it needs to have been On before unplugging.)

So again, thank you to everyone for your contributions to this thread! I figured that the least I could do was contribute these additional bits of info so that anyone else who wants to fix their aging M8 will be able to do so a lot more quickly than I did.

Now comes the "replace the display" part of the adventure. I got a replacement display from Alibaba for about $5 (including shipping!), which arrived in about 3 weeks from China, and then a hot air rework station and soldering paste (from Amazon) so that I can hopefully do so without melting the flexible plastic connector!

Man... for the money I've spent on trying to fix the display (on an otherwise perfectly functional M8), I'm approaching the "buy another Schiit Modi+" realm. It's a good thing I enjoy troubleshooting and learning new things!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm so glad that I found this thread! I also have a first generation SMSL M8 with a fading OLED screen (that I got via a Drop), and wanted to do something about it. I figured that my only recourse was to replace the screen every few years, and was looking for instructions on doing that replacement. Having found this thread, I quickly set up a Rube Goldberg-esque series of cables to do the reprogramming. But for some reason, I couldn't get it to work. I had three different USB to serial cables that work for managing switches, but no matter what I tried (including hard-setting every possible baud rate via the Help button in the M8 updater, with all three cables, and also doing it all again with the send/receive connectors reversed (just in case)), nothing worked. I spent at least 5 hours trying all the possible options.

I then wondered if there was something about the USB to serial adapter that you other guys had tried that might've been magical. Unfortunately, the Arduino USB2SERIAL LIGHT version isn't made/sold anymore, so I checked into the similar options on Amazon. The one thing I noticed was that most of the similar open board adapters had options for both 3.3V and 5V operation. I wondered if maybe my three cables all send/recive at one of those voltages, and that the SMSL M8 wanted the other voltage.

The short story is that, at least for my M8, that is the case. The USB to Serial adapter board I got (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBPX8B8 (which I wanted because it had a genuine FTDI chip)) allowed for both 3.3V and 5V. When I tried the default of 3.3V, the programming software never talked with the M8, but when I tried 5V - BOOM! SUCCESS!

But I also found out that there is also another important thing to know. I had seen an instruction (I believe when hovering over one of the buttons in the software) that said to hit the programming button and then turn on the device. But merely turning on the M8 with the power button doesn't get it into its "ready to receive new programming" state. The entries here in the thread mention applying power or plugging in the power supply, and THAT's the key. The communication/programming doesn't happen if you hit the program button in the software and then hit the power button - you have to plug in the power supply. (The M8 remembers the last power-on state, and I'm pretty sure that it needs to have been On before unplugging.)

So again, thank you to everyone for your contributions to this thread! I figured that the least I could do was contribute these additional bits of info so that anyone else who wants to fix their aging M8 will be able to do so a lot more quickly than I did.

Now comes the "replace the display" part of the adventure. I got a replacement display from Alibaba for about $5 (including shipping!), which arrived in about 3 weeks from China, and then a hot air rework station and soldering paste (from Amazon) so that I can hopefully do so without melting the flexible plastic connector!

Man... for the money I've spent on trying to fix the display (on an otherwise perfectly functional M8), I'm approaching the "buy another Schiit Modi+" realm. It's a good thing I enjoy troubleshooting and learning new things!
Well it is cool that you got your old DAC fixed and are still enjoying it after all these years.
I definitely wouldn't buy any Schiit products though, maybe another SMSL since your old one has lasted so long!
They do have some newer models which are much better and cheaper!

Glennza

Just flashed the update on my M8. Thanks for providing the file. Ironically, this coincided with the purchase of a new SMSL D6S. So now the M8 has been retired and the screen is off for the foreseeable future :)

Top Bottom