• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1N4007 Diode Problem

egellings

Major Contributor
Why not just pop for a diode with the required voltage & current capability and get it over with? Some stud mount model will likely do it.

Kijanki

Why not just pop for a diode with the required voltage & current capability and get it over with? Some stud mount model will likely do it.
Voltage and current capability can be tricky. Reverse votage across the diode can be twice the peak voltage (split winding with two diode rectifier) in this case 620V, but we need to go higher to account for overvoltage. I wouldn't go below 800V. Even with 4 diode Graetz bridge, where this voltage is across two diodes in series, there is no guarantee that this voltage will divide evenly. Dissipated power will also be higher than anticipated, because of shape of current waveform - narrow spikes that have high rms to average ratio. Rms value (heat) will be way higher than 15A of average current draw.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The OP asked for 220V AC to 220V DC rectification in the first place.
Second wish is 15A.
He then linked to a 1A/1000V diode.

There is no such thing (220V AC to 220V DC rectifier). Even when a diode or bridge rectifier were used with 400V/16A rating there would still not be a 220V DC there would be 310V DC.

If he truly wanted this there would be the need for DC regulation and loosing 90V with 15A would require a 1000 W regulator.
That is not something one can feed (audio) electronics with anyway.

I understand that for someone starting out with electronics this seems logical but even a basic google search will show one the basics of rectification.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
...And even then different LED's tend to be at slightly (hopefully) different intensity levels due to differing voltage drop/efficiency.

egellings

Major Contributor
The LEDs in series all see the same current, so they all light up the same amount, so long as the compliance voltage is high enough to accommodate all the diode drops in the series.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The LEDs in series all see the same current, so they all light up the same amount, so long as the compliance voltage is high enough to accommodate all the diode drops in the series.
LEDs not all lighting up the same amount has been a long-standing problem with them... Yes, they see the same current, so do not have the current-hogging problem noted for parallel diodes, but that does not mean they are all lit with the same intensity. That said, I do not know how much device uniformity has improved since the last time I dealt with a string of LEDs (probably 10 years ago, excepting the Christmas lights).

egellings

Major Contributor
Red LEDs of the same model I have tried were very consistent in their brightness, so running them in series produced very even lighting along a line array of them. In earlier times, inconsistency may well have been a problem.

egellings

Major Contributor
For any lot of LEDs, they will be very similar in forward drop, and I have had good luck getting series strings of them to light up uniformly. Mix the lots and all bets are off.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only if they all have the same voltage drop.

That would be if they are in parallel. In series the voltage drop is irrelevant. The current is the same. So in the end brightness depends on the efficiency of the LEDs at a specific current.

You can run strings of several LEDs that are in series in parallel (with a small series resistor in each chain)

Top Bottom