• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1MORE Quad Driver Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here are some THD measurments at 80 and 94dB SPL courtesy of HypetheSonics
The Blon Bl-03 costs $27, the Sony MH755 about $5.

In fact, when examining some of the very best IEMs, it becomes clear that it's not low distortion that you're paying for:

With a $150 budget I would look into the Etymotic ER2XR, Moondrop Aria, Dunu Titan S, or the 7Hz Timeless or Moondrop Kato if you can stretch the budget a bit.
Interesting, where did you get the distortion data from the site? Furthermore, if it really is neither low distortion nor frequency response following closely to a target, what is it then that makes the top-ranked IEM so special? Soundstage, imaging, transient decay and the like?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RHO

Major Contributor

Keened

Forum Donor
Interesting, where did you get the distortion data from the site? Furthermore, if it really is neither low distortion nor frequency response following closely to a target, what is it then that makes the top-ranked IEM so special? Soundstage, imaging, transient decay and the like?

money-mr.gif

RHO

Major Contributor
Furthermore, if it really is neither low distortion nor frequency response following closely to a target, what is it then that makes the top-ranked IEM so special? Soundstage, imaging, transient decay and the like?
It depends on how you rank them.
Most subjective reviewers rank them as higher price = better.
Objective reviewers care much less about price and actually rank them on measurable performance. Which in most cases results in a completely different ranking than subjective reviewers would make.
I would take price into account. The pricier it gets, the better the objective performance AND the more interesting (higher quality, usefulness) the accessories need to be. But the objective performance dominates.
Any IEM above €500 is just too expensive in my view. It doesn't need to be that expensive to be really, really good.

Garrincha

It depends on how you rank them.
Most subjective reviewers rank them as higher price = better.
Objective reviewers care much less about price and actually rank them on measurable performance. Which in most cases results in a completely different ranking than subjective reviewers would make.
I would take price into account. The pricier it gets, the better the objective performance AND the more interesting (higher quality, usefulness) the accessories need to be. But the objective performance dominates.
Any IEM above €500 is just too expensive in my view. It doesn't need to be that expensive to be really, really good.
Well, when we agree that soundstage, imaging, layering, transient decay etc. are real things and not just invented lingo like PRaT or the like, I question that just taking the two criteria of frequency response (for example Harman curve) and distortion are sufficient to evaluate the sound quality of a speaker/headphone/IEM. Price obviously should not be one.

RHO

Major Contributor
Well, when we agree that soundstage, imaging, layering, transient decay etc. are real things and not just invented lingo like PRaT or the like,
We do not agree on that. ;)
Soundstage and imaging for headphones and IEMs ... maybe. For loudspeakers they are relevant, but very dependent on the room the speakers are in.
The rest: I'm very, very skeptical about those terms.

Garrincha

We do not agree on that. ;)
Soundstage and imaging for headphones and IEMs ... maybe. For loudspeakers they are relevant, but very dependent on the room the speakers are in.
The rest: I'm very, very skeptical about those terms.
Well, if you are really skeptical about transient decay, then you probably have never listened to an electrostatic speaker/headphone. It is staggering and obvious that this is very different.

RHO

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, when we agree that soundstage, imaging, layering, transient decay etc. are real things and not just invented lingo like PRaT or the like, I question that just taking the two criteria of frequency response (for example Harman curve) and distortion are sufficient to evaluate the sound quality of a speaker/headphone/IEM. Price obviously should not be one.
I'd suggest you revisit your specific thread on headphone (and I guess iem too) sounds rather than discussing generics in the review threads. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...esides-the-harman-curve-and-distortion.33295/

You might want to pick some of these queries up in @amirm headphone measurement complaint thread too. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nt-thread-about-headphone-measurements.18451/

Last edited:

Garrincha

billmr

This is a review and detailed measurements of the 1MORE Quad Driver "THX Certified" IEM. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $150.
View attachment 205334

I must say this is one excellent work of packaging! The little carrying box has magnetic flap which is nice. Headphone cord seems to be made out of silicon and is a bit longer than what others supply which I appreciated. The organization of the tips with labels is also great. Question: who the heck still uses those airplane 2-plugs as to need this adapter???

1MORE Quad Driver IEM Measurements
As usual, let's start with our frequency response measurement using GRAS 45C fixture:

View attachment 205335

Both channels were similar with plenty of bass which gave me confidence of a good seal. Alas, there is too much upper bass, and not enough treble. I expect the sound to be boomy and closed. So EQ will be mandatory using relative response graph:

View attachment 205336

Distortion was exceptionally low:
View attachment 205337
View attachment 205338

This should give us freedom to do what we want with frequency response. Better yet, once we get rid of the boominess, absolute distortion will shrink further.

Impedance is flat and low at 30 ohm:
View attachment 205339

As IEMs go, this one is a bit more power hungry:
View attachment 205341

Group as with other IEMs, doesn't seem to have much diagnostic value:
View attachment 205342

1MORE Quad Driver Listening Tests
I was listening with my everyday and super neutral Dan Clark Stealth headphone. Switch to 1More immediately caused the boominess to stand out so EQ tools came right out:

View attachment 205343

Most of this should be explanatory except the filter at 8200 Hz. I had to dial this way down as otherwise sound was bright. I am starting to think the target is not quite correction for this region.

At first, I liked the sound but thought maybe someone else would like the stock sound. I listened for 15 minutes and then turned off EQ. Wow, did the sound collapse and became closed, boomy and uninteresting. Don't know where THX got this target response.

The lack of distortion is very obvious as you crank up the volume. There is no hint of distortion as the volume gets dangerously loud! Be careful then with that volume knob as you won't have distortion to cause you to pull back.

Conclusions
There are definitely good things going on here with ultra low distortion allowing us to fix its response. Out of the box, it is bass heavy and trebly shy which means it is not offensive. So can be used without EQ. With EQ, it really comes to life and sounds extremely good. As with most IEMs and headphones though, EQ is mandatory for best sound. Without it, I would not bother with this IEM.

Overall, I can only recommend the 1MORE Quad Driver IEM with EQ.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Question: who the heck still uses those airplane 2-plugs as to need this adapter???

someone who wants to watch the inflight movie?

I have not flown in like 10 years, but the planes I flew on needed this adaptor.

Does anyone know why have the airlines not changed the jacks to a standard 6.53mm ?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have both the Triple and the Quad.... Personally love the Quad for everyday listening. The bass depends on the seal... I don't listen with a 100% seal all the time. After years of use; my quad drivers still work perfectly. I had them since the Pre-Order so they arrived literally the night of launch day some years ago.
It's definitely not perfect but its pretty darn good considering most other IEMs I've tried.

misureaudio

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

Great L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 33.5
Score Amirm: 69.6
Score with EQ: 94.0

Code:
1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
May092022-142140

Preamp: -12.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 19.69 Hz Gain 2.30 dB Q 1.16
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 183.76 Hz Gain -5.47 dB Q 0.59
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 738.27 Hz Gain 2.31 dB Q 0.70
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3069.45 Hz Gain 2.73 dB Q 3.11
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4257.21 Hz Gain -3.33 dB Q 3.30
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6747.61 Hz Gain 7.96 dB Q 0.62
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8442.91 Hz Gain 7.99 dB Q 2.18
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 12523.56 Hz Gain -8.31 dB Q 3.06
View attachment 205518
Another great hit. Sounds fantastic with this curve.

lhimelfarb

" Question: who the heck still uses those airplane 2-plugs as to need this adapter???"

Boeing- the current Business/First Class configurations will accept that plug. The reason: they supply noise-canceling headphones that they would like to keep!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Most of this should be explanatory except the filter at 8200 Hz. I had to dial this way down as otherwise sound was bright. I am starting to think the target is not quite correction for this region.
I listened to these for over 1000 hours without this EQ. They definitely have a more closed sound with lots of bass. I mostly used them for trance/rap/hip-hop. I'd love to try the EQ settings you recommend, not too sure how to read your image though.
Also didn't know you would even test them, I could have sent them to you years ago as I have had them since launch. Glad to see that distortion is low, that is what I felt as well and removing a bit of bass typically makes them cleaner.
I don't think these measure poorly at all. Sonic signature is a matter of taste but I think these are the lowest distortion multi drivers we have seen in these pages so far, with excellent channel balance. Price is very acceptable too. I'm sure I would find that a bit boomy for me but many appreciate that extra bass, there is definitely a market for that.
They definitely work well for trance / house / electronica and lots of rap/hip-hop.
Female vocals struggle though (without EQ). They are pretty comfortable too and have held up great over the years I have had them. As I mention above; I listened to these for over 1000 hours.

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
I reviewed these earlier in this thread as fantastic headphones.

They are, but. No soundstage. I thought you couldnr get a soundstage with IEMs

I have since
A) bought a phone with Atmos 2 channel built in. Game changer.
B) discovered the Moondrop Chu (£20!)

They can't match the quad for bass, but with EQ they beat it in most ways.

Top Bottom