• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1MORE Quad Driver Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the 1MORE Quad Driver "THX Certified" IEM. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $150.
View attachment 205334

I must say this is one excellent work of packaging! The little carrying box has magnetic flap which is nice. Headphone cord seems to be made out of silicon and is a bit longer than what others supply which I appreciated. The organization of the tips with labels is also great. Question: who the heck still uses those airplane 2-plugs as to need this adapter???

1MORE Quad Driver IEM Measurements
As usual, let's start with our frequency response measurement using GRAS 45C fixture:

View attachment 205335

Both channels were similar with plenty of bass which gave me confidence of a good seal. Alas, there is too much upper bass, and not enough treble. I expect the sound to be boomy and closed. So EQ will be mandatory using relative response graph:

View attachment 205336

Distortion was exceptionally low:
View attachment 205337
View attachment 205338

This should give us freedom to do what we want with frequency response. Better yet, once we get rid of the boominess, absolute distortion will shrink further.

Impedance is flat and low at 30 ohm:
View attachment 205339

As IEMs go, this one is a bit more power hungry:
View attachment 205341

Group as with other IEMs, doesn't seem to have much diagnostic value:
View attachment 205342

1MORE Quad Driver Listening Tests
I was listening with my everyday and super neutral Dan Clark Stealth headphone. Switch to 1More immediately caused the boominess to stand out so EQ tools came right out:

View attachment 205343

Most of this should be explanatory except the filter at 8200 Hz. I had to dial this way down as otherwise sound was bright. I am starting to think the target is not quite correction for this region.

At first, I liked the sound but thought maybe someone else would like the stock sound. I listened for 15 minutes and then turned off EQ. Wow, did the sound collapse and became closed, boomy and uninteresting. Don't know where THX got this target response.

The lack of distortion is very obvious as you crank up the volume. There is no hint of distortion as the volume gets dangerously loud! Be careful then with that volume knob as you won't have distortion to cause you to pull back.

Conclusions
There are definitely good things going on here with ultra low distortion allowing us to fix its response. Out of the box, it is bass heavy and trebly shy which means it is not offensive. So can be used without EQ. With EQ, it really comes to life and sounds extremely good. As with most IEMs and headphones though, EQ is mandatory for best sound. Without it, I would not bother with this IEM.

Overall, I can only recommend the 1MORE Quad Driver IEM with EQ.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

Great L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 33.5
Score Amirm: 69.6
Score with EQ: 94.0

Code:
1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
May092022-142140

Preamp: -12.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 19.69 Hz Gain 2.30 dB Q 1.16
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 183.76 Hz Gain -5.47 dB Q 0.59
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 738.27 Hz Gain 2.31 dB Q 0.70
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3069.45 Hz Gain 2.73 dB Q 3.11
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4257.21 Hz Gain -3.33 dB Q 3.30
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6747.61 Hz Gain 7.96 dB Q 0.62
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8442.91 Hz Gain 7.99 dB Q 2.18
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 12523.56 Hz Gain -8.31 dB Q 3.06
1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• 1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    489 bytes · Views: 83

charleski

Major Contributor
Archimago also measured this recently, but using the far less sophisticated miniDSP Ears:
Seems reasonably consistent with amirm's results shown here, apart from a boost to the high frequencies.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were ever to get past the refusal to insert anything in my ears, that would be the IEM for me. price is good, let's even say it, low and what one can get from this IEM with EQ, verges on the extraordinary.
OT. What is a good portable all-in-one, AMP/DAC/EQ? Is there such a beast?

Peace.

RHO

Major Contributor
price is good, let's even say it, low and what one can get from this IEM with EQ, verges on the extraordinary.
For $150 it isn't even close to competitive in today's market.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For $150 it isn't even close to competitive in today's market.
I am an ignoramus when it comes to IEM. This query is for intellectual curiosity. I would have thought $150.oo to be a great price, can you list/names a few lower priced contenders with similar or better performances, especially THD?

Peace.

RHO

Major Contributor
I am an ignoramus when it comes to IEM. This query is for intellectual curiosity. I would have thought $150.oo to be a great price, can you list/names a few lower priced contenders with similar or better performances, especially THD?

Peace.
Well, I'm not so convinced the THD measurements are that important with regards to IEMs. But many have way better tuning, not requiring any or at least very little EQ (taking adherence to the Harman IE target curved into account).
When assuming THD on dynamic drivers is lower than on BA (which has to be shown yet) I would go for single DD IEMs if that metric is very important to you.
Here's a small list for you to compare:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RHO

Major Contributor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well, I'm not so convinced the THD measurements are that important with regards to IEMs. But many have way better tuning, not requiring any or at least very little EQ (taking adherence to the Harman IE target curved into account).
When assuming THD on dynamic drivers is lower than on BA (which has to be shown yet) I would go for single DD IEMs if that metric is very important to you.
Here's a small list for you to compare:
You can fix frequency response with EQ but you can't fix distortion. And all are at objectively audible levels. We only seen one IEM here so far with Slightly better Sinad, the Fiio FD3 but it's twice as much money. I have a hard time to assess that "not even close to be competitive", especially that there has been a couple of reviews of multi drivers lately at 10 time this price.... OK you can show that it's possible to find cheaper products with satisfying performance, but common, "not even close to be competitive" is looking at a very narrow segment of this market. Sure some smaller Asian manufacturers have been able to really optimize cost to offer good products for cheap and I'm Glad they achieved that and ha and it's all good, but comon, look at the IEM market as a whole, look at the household names for wired IEMs, the Senns, the Shure, the Audio-Technica, the Grados etc, all are generally priced more than that.

RHO

Major Contributor
You can fix frequency response with EQ but you can't fix distortion. And all are at objectively audible levels. We only seen one IEM here so far with Slightly better Sinad, the Fiio FD3 but it's twice as much money. I have a hard time to assess that "not even close to be competitive", especially that there has been a couple of reviews of multi drivers lately at 10 time this price.... OK you can show that it's possible to find cheaper products with satisfying performance, but common, "not even close to be competitive" is looking at a very narrow segment of this market. Sure some smaller Asian manufacturers have been able to really optimize cost to offer good products for cheap and I'm Glad they achieved that and ha and it's all good, but comon, look at the IEM market as a whole, look at the household names for wired IEMs, the Senns, the Shure, the Audio-Technica, the Grados etc, all are generally priced more than that.
If there's almost no data out there supplying us with THD data it's difficult to take that into account or drawing big conclusions out of the few measurements we have.
I do concede that THD can be an important factor when audible. But from subjective reviews I don't see it pop up as a significant issue for almost any IEM. (and I hardly ever take reviews into account that have no objective data in them) So for now I'm a little skeptical about the significance of the measured THD values being audible in real life applications. If it's very low you will not have anything to worry about. That is true.
I do appreciate the TDH measurements Amir conducts. I would like to see those from more reviewers performing measurements on EIMs/headphones. Makes it easier to judge the significance and what the audibility is and in which circumstances.
Not having to apply EQ is a major factor in favor of other products, compared to the 1MORE reviewed here. Not having to worry about where THD spikes pop to know if it would be advisable to EQ that region or not saves many from a small headache. Just use as is. (if you don't need to boost anything, you're not going to make inaudible things audible)
Having a removable cable is also in favor of other products at much lower prices.
The problem with the common household names in the IEM market is that most of them have fallen behind. Because they can't keep up doesn't mean the rest of the market should be ignored. Rather the other way around. They are too expensive for the quality (tuning-wise) they offer.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If there's almost no data out there supplying us with THD data it's difficult to take that into account or drawing big conclusions out of the few measurements we have.
I do concede that THD can be an important factor when audible. But from subjective reviews I don't see it pop up as a significant issue for almost any IEM. (and I hardly ever take reviews into account that have no objective data in them) So for now I'm a little skeptical about the significance of the measured THD values being audible in real life applications. If it's very low you will not have anything to worry about. That is true.
I do appreciate the TDH measurements Amir conducts. I would like to see those from more reviewers performing measurements on EIMs/headphones. Makes it easier to judge the significance and what the audibility is and in which circumstances.
Not having to apply EQ is a major factor in favor of other products, compared to the 1MORE reviewed here. Not having to worry about where THD spikes pop to know if it would be advisable to EQ that region or not saves many from a small headache. Just use as is. (if you don't need to boost anything, you're not going to make inaudible things audible)
Having a removable cable is also in favor of other products at much lower prices.
The problem with the common household names in the IEM market is that most of them have fallen behind. Because they can't keep up doesn't mean the rest of the market should be ignored. Rather the other way around. They are too expensive for the quality (tuning-wise) they offer.
OK, maybie, Yes of course we would need more data, I agree with this. But if achieving a Sinad as low as 75 dB at 94 SPL is an unimportant metric that can be ignored, then it's the relevancy of this whole site than can be questioned, why would we then want electronics with 100+ dB Sinad? Yes I know, distortion is not as audible as noise, I get that, but I also don't think that frequency response tells us everything about the performance of headphone and earphone products. Hi fidelity should have low distortion, It goes together. Now I accept that I would not want something with the wrong tonality as well but we have to recognize achievement made in regards to THD.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
OK, maybie, Yes of course we would need more data, I agree with this. But if achieving a Sinad as low as 75 dB at 94 SPL is an unimportant metric that can be ignored, then it's the relevancy of this whole site than can be questioned, why would we then want electronics with 100+ dB Sinad? Yes I know, distortion is not as audible as noise, I get that, but I also don't think that frequency response tells us everything about the performance of headphone and earphone products. Hi fidelity should have low distortion, It goes together. Now I accept that I would not want something with the wrong tonality as well but we have to recognize achievement made in regards to THD.
Yes, this IEM has low THD. But it's hard to compare it to "the average" IEM, when we don't have enough data to know what the "average" IEM performs like. Maybe this is just average and not a particular noteworthy achievement at all. We need more data to evaluate the THD performance of this IEM in that regard.
What we CAN do, is compare its tuning to other products in the same or lower price brackets. And there it falls short IMO.
What we also CAN compare, is the features it has and the accessories it comes with in the package. And also there it is nothing special on most fronts and falls short on at least 1 (not having a removable cable on a $150 IEM).
That's why I judge it not competitive in today's market.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would have thought $150.oo to be a great price, can you list/names a few lower priced contenders with similar or better performances, especially THD?
Here are some THD measurments at 80 and 94dB SPL courtesy of HypetheSonics
Sony at 80.png Blon at 80.png
Sony at 94.png Blon at 94.png
The Blon Bl-03 costs $27, the Sony MH755 about $5.

In fact, when examining some of the very best IEMs, it becomes clear that it's not low distortion that you're paying for:
Blon vs U12t at 80.png Blon vs U12t at 94.png
Blon vs Z1R at 80.png Blon vs Z1R at 94.png
Blon vs Erlkönig at 80.png Blon vs Erlkönig at 94.png
Blon vs Odin at 80.png Blon vs Odin at 94.png
Blon vs S8 at 80.png Blon vs S8 at 94.png
Blon vs Andromeda at 80.png Blon vs Andromeda at 94.png
Blon vs MEST at 80.png Blon vs MEST at 94.png

With a $150 budget I would look into the Etymotic ER2XR, Moondrop Aria, Dunu Titan S, or the 7Hz Timeless or Moondrop Kato if you can stretch the budget a bit.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I also owned this and a few Triples before it. Since they were always intended to be used with a phone I rarely used them un-EQ'd and quite enjoyed them. Funny enough, I actually found that airplane adaptor floating around the house a few weeks ago.

My two main complaints were the pointyness at the end of the shell (made it difficult to rest anything against you ear) and the unreplaceable cables (which weren't bad but there are better designs on the market) which meant when the cable inevitably got damaged the entire thing had to go. Lasted a long time though, would easily say I got my money's worth.

Yes the bass can be exaggerated but at least it exists compared to so many other IEMs and it has low distortion. When these broke it took a while to find a replacement candidate (JVC HA-FDX1 in the end) because so many others on the market at the time either had reasonable prices but no bass (and/or high distortion) or insane prices and questionable design choices (*cough* Campfire). Glad to see it get its day in the sun, I remember so many people nay-saying the 1More Triple and Quad as not Hi-Fi because they were coming out of Asia with reasonable prices.

I'm even tempted to get their new TWS and send it for review but that market isn't quite there yet I feel in terms of features I would like. Very very soon though (thanks to the EU forcing better consumer laws).
Second the shape. Can't wear them in bed with my ear on the pillow annoyingly.

sodosopa

I have the triple driver and the cable is nightmare, plastic crack and expose inner wires, I plan to mod it to mmcx following the youtube video.

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
I don't think you can beat the low distortion of the triple or quad drive 1mores. Rtings indicate they are the best IEMs post EQ if you rate this factor as valuable.
The bass distortion is almost not measurable.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

Great L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 33.5
Score Amirm: 69.6
Score with EQ: 94.0

Code:
1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
May092022-142140

Preamp: -12.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 19.69 Hz Gain 2.30 dB Q 1.16
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 183.76 Hz Gain -5.47 dB Q 0.59
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 738.27 Hz Gain 2.31 dB Q 0.70
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3069.45 Hz Gain 2.73 dB Q 3.11
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4257.21 Hz Gain -3.33 dB Q 3.30
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6747.61 Hz Gain 7.96 dB Q 0.62
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8442.91 Hz Gain 7.99 dB Q 2.18
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 12523.56 Hz Gain -8.31 dB Q 3.06
View attachment 205518
Nice, your filter #6 (PK Fc 6747.61 Hz Gain 7.96 dB Q 0.62), is what I was talking about here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ore-quad-driver-review-iem.33779/post-1179104
@amirm , might be useful to try Maiky's EQ if you've still got the IEM to see if they still sound too bright when used with his EQ, as his EQ follows the main EQ points I brought up in my prior post when I mentioned you. (They may still sound bright though if @staticV3 's theory is correct: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ore-quad-driver-review-iem.33779/post-1179109.......they probably will given the difference in the overall boost difference in that area between the 2 EQ's, but that is good EQ practice nonetheless.

Last edited:

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
@Lbstyling It's very much measurable and gets beaten by IEMs that cost $5. See here.
Thanks. Just purchased a set on linsoul to try out.

Are there any other good IEMs with lower distortion than this? I use the wavelet app to EQ, so as long as the driver isn't way out I'm good.

Top Bottom