• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1mii Lavaudio DS400 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 39 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 61.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters

DatBoomerGuy

I think you should be ok. Amir said in his review of the DA3, "I did listen to my power hungry Sennheiser HD-650s with the Da3 using unbalanced output and it seemed to have sufficient drive for it toward the end of its volume scale. Sonically I did not detect any faults or signatures." The HD-650 is 300 ohms.

The Sabaj website says 13 mW @ 300 ohms. While it might drive my headphones, I don't think it would drive them well.

Nathan Raymond

The Sabaj website says 13 mW @ 300 ohms. While it might drive my headphones, I don't think it would drive them well.

Yeah I agree that sounds low. Let me see if I can find a better solution...

DatBoomerGuy

Yeah I agree that sounds low. Let me see if I can find a better solution...

I've been trying to get the power output specs for the older FiiO K5 Pro from Fiio...but they say they don't have that info, but they did tell me the newer ESS model has 140mW @ 300 ohms...that's decent. (just out of my budget)

I DID find this info from FiiO:

Output Power (headphone output)1.65W(16Ω); 1.5W(32Ω)

I'm not engineer enough to try to extrapolate the power output for 250 ohm headphones based on those numbers.
(simple math says 250 ohms is about 7.8 times as much resistance as 32 ohms...so about 192 mW...but I suspect that's WAY off base.)

FINALLY got a response from FiiO's support team.

Output Power (headphone output)1.65W(16Ω); 1.5W(32Ω)188mW(300Ω)

Looks like my rough, simple math might have been fairly close. (close enough anyway)

Last edited:

Nathan Raymond

I've been trying to get the power output specs for the older FiiO K5 Pro from Fiio...but they say they don't have that info, but they did tell me the newer ESS model has 140mW @ 300 ohms...that's decent. (just out of my budget)

I DID find this info from FiiO:

I'm not engineer enough to try to extrapolate the power output for 250 ohm headphones based on those numbers.
(simple math says 250 ohms is about 7.8 times as much resistance as 32 ohms...so about 192 mW...but I suspect that's WAY off base.)

FINALLY got a response from FiiO's support team.

Looks like my rough, simple math might have been fairly close. (close enough anyway)
I think that'll be plenty of power. Another option, not quite as powerful, could be the AIYIMA DAC-A5pro for $75:

https://www.amazon.com/AIYIMA-DAC-A5pro-Headphone-DAC-ESS9018K2M/dp/B09PMDN86V/

Max power output is 1000mW 32Ω load, so not as high as the FiiO, but decent. I can't find an in-depth review of the AIYIMA, but there is a brief thread here about it with a positive comment:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-dac-a5-pro.36426/post-1303435
I got one and I think it’s excellent for the price. Obviously this is subjective but the output from the headphone Jack and the rca output seem excellent to my ears! As a DAC I doubt it could tell the difference between this and one twice the price . I imagine aiyima saved money by not including a screen and the box which is fairly generic. I cranked up tte volume on the headphones to see could I hear any noise and it was completely silent when playing a silent track.

So overall on a very limited budget this is a good DAC

DatBoomerGuy

The Aiyima has been on my list. I'm somewhat concerned about their quality, and I had exchanged a few emails with their customer service...left me skeptical. I'm still considering it, but it's down the list.
I'd LOVE to be able to stretch my budget far enough to get the FiiO K5V Pro-ESS($179.99) or the Topping DX3 Pro+($199.99)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
pretty sure that : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5N2TV8X/ is exactly the same as this just possibly in a slightly different case. I've had one and used it for an entire week to listen to music and it was fine as long as I didn't use my heaviest headphones on it. Now that I stumbled on this review; it seems that the specs weren't a lie on Amazon and the power output is where I would imagine it is considering my experience with my headphones.

it is very impressive that this device is actually legit for such a low price today. Just showing how much performance can be had for such a low price even in a portable sense.

Top Bottom