• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$1k headphones

solderdude

Grand Contributor
solderdude, just re-scanning this thread and was curious.
NO Grado's at all?

Probably the same reason as to why Ultrasones have not been mentioned :eek:

Grado's may not be the best recommendation for someone who likes and has the HD650 as a reference and is looking into the LCD-2.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what the long term effects of highly bass boosted headphones will be on the higher end of the headphone segment. Many people are introduced to headphones by these bass boosted models and brands like Beats have done an excellent job in marketing themselves as some sort of premium high end choice. As people are used to that sort of sound when they try headphones which have a more even, natural balance they tend to find them boring and lifeless and dismiss them as rubbish. A lot of reviewers seemed to criticise the Oppo PM-1 and Oppo PM-2 for being a bit boring and dull when my view was that they were very neutral and natural sounding headphones. If the market demands the sort of sound signature of the likes of Beats then that is how the suppliers will go.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If the market demands the sort of sound signature of the likes of Beats then that is how the suppliers will go.
I think it will still be more closely related to the types of music the consumer listens to. That type of sound is more entrenched in the rap and hip-hop listener than any others.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another thread on headphones made me realise how the price of some headphones has plummeted. I can buy the Sennheiser HD650 for less pounds today than I could seven or eight years ago even without factoring in inflation, and the AKG K712 which was once considered quite a high end headphone can now be found for less than many of the lifestyle brand headphones. And both models remain very fine headphones IMO which are much closer to the performance of the current high end models than the price differences might suggest.

Top Bottom