• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1951: High Fidelity

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A complete issue of "High Fidelity" magazine from 1951:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/general-audio-discussions.2/create-thread

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/50s/High-Fidelity-1951-Summer.pdf

Amazing how different the hobby was then.

Heavy DIY aspect:

"PERHAPS the best summation of who are audio - philes, and why we are publishing HIGH -FIDELITY, is to be found not in our own words, nor even in the words of an audio -phile, but in a letter written by - who could do it better! - the wife of an audio -phile: Gentlemen: I am enclosing a check, $3.00, for a year's subscription to be sent to my husband, Col. Russell G. Barkalow. My husband is a very critical listener and very technically minded, period! He started as a youngster with a crystal set. Then, when he got to radios, he would sometimes have four of them in the house at once, making comparisons to determine which was the best. In Alaska, in 1947, he got completely fed up with radio reception, as it was very poor. He tried record players, big speakers, amplifiers, needles, etc., each time making an improvement. We came here to Virginia in July '48, and he started all over again. He has finally wound up with a 3 -way Web - ster changer, McIntosh amplifier and equalizer, Altec speaker, Pickering compensator, diamond -tip needle, and goodness knows what else (I do not have a technical mind so can not remember all the equipment!) This I do know, he gets wonderful reproduction - one can hear every instrument in a band or orchestra. He will not have a noisy record nor one that does not have full range. As you well know, the piano is the most difficult instrument to record, but it has now graduated from the "Silver Dollar Saloon" type to where it sounds as though it is right in the room and sounds - like a piano! This I think is a very good test. My husband has made everyone who hears his system very unhappy, because it is so much better than that with which they are familiar. I was disturbed at first, but he explained that people do not know what high -fidelity reproduction is, and therefore they have to be shown. I now see his point and agree one hundred percent. He has said that sooner or later someone would come out with a publication such as yours, so when he saw your advertisement, he was delighted. You are in on the ground floor and so can do much to help make people realize that they can get high fidelity in both radio and records. Of course, all people cannot afford the more expensive layouts, but there are some modest ones which are good. "

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Love this:

screen-capture-2.png

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get a kick out of reading the old magazines. I have part of the 1959 HiFi YearBook, and many equipment manuals from the 1950s and '60s, a full set Of Wireless World magazines from the 1970s and 1968-79 HiFi YearBook. Great bedtime reading.

What I particularly like is the effort that one genuinely had to go to in the mid-late 1950 to get anything approaching a High Fidelity sound, then the introduction of stereo and the complications that raised.

At least then, there were real improvements to be made, not like now (actually, since the mid 1980s, when real audible improvements stopped) when all there is is (possibly) different, not necessarily better.
S.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No improvements in audio anywhere across the board?
Not marketing ( much) but the new generation of compact yet full range active monitors, cardioid response, dsp crossovers etc deliver a definite improvement in sound quality here even over well regarded ‘traditional’ monitors.
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also think there's been many improvements since the 80s. Better drivers, room correction in the bass, multiple subwoofers, affordable active dsp crossovers which offers many benefits including equalization for a smoother response, possibility of designing speakers mathematically in software, class d amps which offers the possibility of more power=unclipped sound/better dynamics.

That doesnt mean that the average stereo necessaeily sounds better these days. People in general seem to attach less importance and status to a good "sound system". Speakers have become smaller and narrower, not beneficial. Rooms have become less "cosy", with less carpeting and more reflective minimalist interiors, also not very beneficial. And then you have the continued presence of low-fi technologies like vinyl playback. But in principle, the possibilities are much better now.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That doesnt mean that the average stereo necessaeily sounds better these days. People in general seem to attach less importance and status to a good "sound system".

Well, yeah....hifi followed on the radio era, before we had color tvs, let alone video games and the internet.

Who cares about having a good big system when we spend such much of our time consuming on tablets and phones?

I moved into a new house and haven't even bothered to buy a new tv yet. What's the point when we have personalized streaming media?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What surprises me is how many people very happy with a soundbar. Some are not terrible now though most people go for the cheaper ones. Basically, thin, thinner, thinnest TVs have no place for something approaching a speaker in them. A soundbar fixes that with something like stereo and gets enough volume. And not much more. And that is all anyone wants. You could for the same price as better soundbars add a powered JBL LSR305 or similar or even a pair. People don't want that. A sound bar to fix under the TV, and not be noticed is it.

I am sure these internet connected Alexa or Google speakers are going to be all the sound system most people will ever want. Of course audiophiles aren't most people.

I know when I have recorded people one of the problems letting them hear initial results is none of the musicians have anything to really listen upon. A car, computer speakers (bad ones), and ear buds on a phone. None of them have anything approaching a stereo system. Not even a cheap crappy one. Maybe Chesky is right. He once only did true minimalist stereo recordings. Now he does minimalist binaural recording only. Over speakers I find the recordings lacking, but I suppose for modern music listeners he may have the right idea.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, the link in the OP only takes me to a blank page to create a new thread. Is there a way to get to the copy of the HiFi mag?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What surprises me is how many people very happy with a soundbar. Some are not terrible now though most people go for the cheaper ones. Basically, thin, thinner, thinnest TVs have no place for something approaching a speaker in them. A soundbar fixes that with something like stereo and gets enough volume. And not much more. And that is all anyone wants. You could for the same price as better soundbars add a powered JBL LSR305 or similar or even a pair. People don't want that. A sound bar to fix under the TV, and not be noticed is it.

I am sure these internet connected Alexa or Google speakers are going to be all the sound system most people will ever want. Of course audiophiles aren't most people.

I know when I have recorded people one of the problems letting them hear initial results is none of the musicians have anything to really listen upon. A car, computer speakers (bad ones), and ear buds on a phone. None of them have anything approaching a stereo system. Not even a cheap crappy one. Maybe Chesky is right. He once only did true minimalist stereo recordings. Now he does minimalist binaural recording only. Over speakers I find the recordings lacking, but I suppose for modern music listeners he may have the right idea.

I think the solution is to offer people hassle free, good looking sound systems which still sound good. Basically what Sonos does. A pair of play:1 paired with a sub sounds fairly decent, I find, and is an enormous improvement over most Bluetooth speakers. The winners in the audiophile market of the future will be those who are able to do the same thing, only with even better sound.

Btw, do binaural recordings really work when they're not adapted to the specific ear canals/head shape of a specific listener?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think the solution is to offer people hassle free, good looking sound systems which still sound good. Basically what Sonos does. A pair of play:1 paired with a sub sounds fairly decent, I find, and is an enormous improvement over most Bluetooth speakers. The winners in the audiophile market of the future will be those who are able to do the same thing, only with even better sound.

Btw, do binaural recordings really work when they're not adapted to the specific ear canals/head shape of a specific listener?

I'll probably buy an Apple Homepod at some point just to check it out.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll probably buy an Apple Homepod at some point just to check it out.

I would expect a stereo pair of them to sound quite good, TBH. The technology is really amazing - adaptive dispersion based on tbe listening position and the placement of tbe loudspeakers, and more. It shows that they raided a lot of talent from Harman a while back. If they add a sub later like sonos offers, then my guess is that this systems will take most listeners quite far along the road of diminishing returns. I would love it if apple starts pushing the idea of stereo and the stereo triangle to the masses.

Last edited:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Yes they do work just as they come no matter your specific ears, much better than stereo.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they do work just as they come no matter your specific ears, much better than stereo.

Became curious and listened to some of the binaural chesky recordings on my senn 598's. They have some short previews on their website. http://www.chesky.com/content/binaural-series

Pretty cool! The soundstage is vastly improved compared to ordinary recordings played over headphones. I can actually place things left to right with a center. However, I don't think it's comparable to stereo... I don't get a sensation of a soundstage in front of me, it's all inside my head, somehow.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

They don't work for me. My big complaint is they are no good at all for me while others report differently.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Hearing a sonos paired with a sub changed the way I think about sound, was just playing some simple program ( Bill Evans trio ) but it was rewarding.

I then hooked up a cheap Bluetooth dac to my main system and streamed 320mp3 , another intresting expirence.

I bought my goddaughter a sonos as a result ( she’s 4, loves rage against the machine and the prodigy lol) I love the fact she will grow up with access to a huge library of music . She loves music has done since she was 6 weeks old dancing on my chest while I listened to headphones ( not to everything though, she would smile and dance then stop on the tracks she did not like)

Amazing I thought.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't work for me. My big complaint is they are no good at all for me while others report differently.

I've never got on with binaural recordings either. I have a number of Nimbus CDs and the BBC this year broadcast some of the Proms in Binaural, but I couldn't hear the surround ambiance at all.

As to 'civilians' systems, I volunteer as the Station Engineer for our local non-commercial FM station, and even though everybody there is passionate about music, only two people have anything close to a HiFi system, everybody else uses their 'phone or PC 'speakers.

When discussing 'sound quality', hardly anybody even understands the concept that it can be good or bad, or that it even matters.

S

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hearing a sonos paired with a sub changed the way I think about sound, was just playing some simple program ( Bill Evans trio ) but it was rewarding.

I bought my goddaughter a sonos as a result ( she’s 4, loves rage against the machine and the prodigy lol) I love the fact she will grow up with access to a huge library of music . She loves music has done since she was 6 weeks old dancing on my chest while I listened to headphones ( not to everything though, she would smile and dance then stop on the tracks she did not like)

Amazing I thought.

Exactly! That's the exact word I would use about listening to sonos for my part: rewarding.

I use Sonos for my kitchen system, two play 1 and a sonos sub. Placement is suboptimal, but the sonos room correction system really does wonders to remedy that. When listening to music on this system, I always find it emotionally rewarding. I get drawn into the music, and I start moving if the rythm is funky enough. Earlier tonight I was listening to the record Steamdome by Norwegian jazz & rock violinist Ola Kvernberg. Amazing stuff. The sonos system is more than able to provide me with a deep connection to this very complex and demanding music. This is not always the case for me. Listening to small bluetooth speakers or soundbars doesnt work for me at all, and there are many cheap hifi systems that I also find very dull. But Sonos gets to me.

Earlier this fall, I had another system in my main living room, consisting of a pair of good active monitors (AVI DM10), electronically crossed over to a high quality sub (Ken Kreisel 808) and room corrected in the bass with Dirac Live. Recently moved the monitors to my office and sold the sub in anticipation of my new system, which will arrive in January or February. When comparing the sonos system to my more expensive and more optimally placed AVI/KenKreisel/Dirac system, the difference was huge, of course. There was less clarity in the sonos compared to my main system, and also a bit of power compression. But right now, when I don't have anything else to compare to? I find, frankly, that the sonos system is "good enough" for playing music and providing me with a rewarding musical experience.

To relate it to the topic of the thread: There is no way that it could have been possible to achieve such a level of sound quality for a comparable sum of money in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s. Even with Sonos - started production in 2005 or so - quality has taken huge leaps in recent years, with the addition of the sub, more clarity and less distortion in the latest speakers, and particularly the introduction of their room correction system for less than ideal placements. This technology is also available in the high-end of course, and I suspect that we're only now starting to see what it can do.

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Confession:

I bought this very expensive USB cable some years ago (before I decided to use my professional analytical training from another, unrelated area, to avoid mistakes in audio):

http://www.audioquest.com/usb-digital-audio/diamond

The AQ cable contains some sort of magic battery...and it works as well as my other USB cables...

Top Bottom