• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

16, starting an electrical engineering path, advice please

Lavawood

Forum Donor
I want to get my son into this DIY Streaming Kit business. He’s in an engineering program in Chicago. He’ll be getting into PLC’s and I want to get him motivated and competent.

Do we start down the hifi berry or khadas path? Are there other options?
I can’t seem to read fast enough in this forum to get current, so I’d like to save time and money. The goal is to capitalize on his serious interest in hifi and land in a solid understanding of PLC’s before college. Mastering 3D printing and CNC machining would be major bonuses.
If you were a 16 old in lockdown, in a high rise apartment with a pair of ZMF Blackwoods, JDS Atom, Vali (he’s tube rolling) a modi 3, Khadas tone board,
And a Tidal membership, where’s a good place to start?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I want to get my son into this DIY Streaming Kit business. He’s in an engineering program in Chicago...

I can’t seem to read fast enough in this forum to get current...

I'd set him loose with a name on the site, and tell him to start reading and see what he wants to get into...see what piques his interest and go from there.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've got a computer science engineer (high school) and a materials science and engineering major (University level) on coronavirus lock-down here. All three of my kids have done 3D printing (we have a 3D printer in the house). It really is all about letting their curiosity roam where it will take them and then just taking away all barriers to them learning the subject matter. If a kid wants a book in this house he gets it, no charge. If your son needs help building a DIY streamer my high school son can probably help him. The more DIY it is, the more programming skills your son will need. I can't even fathom the programming that my son does. It takes discipline, intuition, creativity, and lots and lots of practice.

See where your son's curiosity takes him.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-pi-audio-streamer-for-you-in-minutes.11222/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/qobuz-in-america.3761/page-7#post-336170

;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom