• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

16 Channel Home Theater Pre/pro Recommendation

Blackdevil77

From looking at all the reviews on here, none of the 16 channel pre/pros get Amir’s approval, so I’m wondering, what should a person get if they want/need a 16 channel pre/pro? I read he doesn’t like the Trinnov because it’s basically a computer and over complicated. The Monoprice seems to have gotten close, but still didn’t get the nod, I don’t see a review for Audiocontrols 16 channel prepro, maybe that’s decent? The SDP-55 is probably a flop based on the Arcam AV40 review. Doesn’t seem like there’s a single good option.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I read he doesn’t like the Trinnov because it’s basically a computer and over complicated.
Aside from that, the Trinnov works and sounds great. Look, also, at Bryston and Storm Audio.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Trinnov isn't a practical option for most people because of its price. Part of the problem with stand-alone pre/pros is all the licensing costs (a significant part of the BoM) which reduces the margins to an economically unviable state unless it is priced very high. They cannot really compete with mass market AVRs and cannot differentiate themselves much in features. So, they cater to the device as a status symbol market where you have to price it high. The kind of equipment Stereophile and others were built on.

Mass-market AVRs get around this economics by bundling this with a very high margin amp like a fast-food brand that has a cheap price for a value meal with high-margin soda and fries but not for a hamburger on its own and having enough volume with tiered pricing.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PC with JRiver into a MOTU 24AO with the output noise mod.;)

Only drawback is you cannot do ATMOS.

OP
B

Blackdevil77

Trinnov isn't a practical option for most people because of its price. Part of the problem with stand-alone pre/pros is all the licensing costs (a significant part of the BoM) which reduces the margins to an economically unviable state unless it is priced very high. They cannot really compete with mass market AVRs and cannot differentiate themselves much in features. So, they cater to the device as a status symbol market where you have to price it high. The kind of equipment Stereophile and others were built on.

Mass-market AVRs get around this economics by bundling this with a very high margin amp like a fast-food brand that has a cheap price for a value meal with high-margin soda and fries but not for a hamburger on its own and having enough volume with tiered pricing.

If the performance is better than other 16 channel pre/pros, I would probably spring for it. The amount of money I invested in amps and speakers is disgusting, might as well go all the way.

Seems like the Anthem AVM60 is one of the very few that get a "yes" recommendation. Maybe they'll be releasing a 16 channel pre/pro soon.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Seems like the Anthem AVM60 is one of the very few that get a "yes" recommendation. Maybe they'll be releasing a 16 channel pre/pro soon.

They already have MDX-16

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=mdx-16/page=overview

The Anthem pre/pros are also available re-badged as Lexicons with some differences.

Like most pre/pros they all have functional glitches. So, I would wait for a generation or so before springing for something at the very high end.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Budget?? I would definitely recommend Bryston if budget is not an issue. I am personally a fan of krell.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Vasr

Major Contributor
Not a pre-pro, a distribution amp.
Anthem and Lexicon, really? Which models??

Ugh, brain fog. Always confuse the Anthems with Arcams.

Lexicon MC-10 and Arcam AV40 are the ones I had in mind, 16ch Anthem search looking for it gave me that link.

These are the problematic ones with glitches as reported on other forums.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh, brain fog. Always confuse the Anthems with Arcams.

Lexicon MC-10 and Arcam AV40 are the ones I had in mind, 16ch Anthem search looking for it gave me that link.

These are the problematic ones with glitches as reported on other forums.
So nothing was factual in that post.

OP
B

Blackdevil77

Budget?? I would definitely recommend Bryston if budget is not an issue. I am personally a fan of krell.

Interesting, I didn't even know the SP4 existed. I never hear anything about it. It can't cost more than the Trinnov

OP
B

Blackdevil77

Anybody on here have any experience the Audiocontrol Maestro X9? Looks like a decent 16 channel processor, I don't hear much about it though.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Trinnov for me. I got a great deal on a refurb, and it was still a fortune, but is both a geek's delight and a sonic wonder compared to my previous AVRs and processors. They make (or did) a 16-ch non-expandable version that is significantly cheaper (not cheap, mind you) than the full-blown Altitude 32 (even the 16-channel version).

OP
B

Blackdevil77

Trinnov for me. I got a great deal on a refurb, and it was still a fortune, but is both a geek's delight and a sonic wonder compared to my previous AVRs and processors. They make (or did) a 16-ch non-expandable version that is significantly cheaper (not cheap, mind you) than the full-blown Altitude 32 (even the 16-channel version).

Yeah I'm basically sold on the Trinnov. Everything keeps leading me back to it. The 16 channel non expandable version, you can still upgrade HDMI boards and such right? Only part that can't be changed is the amount of channels?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yeah I'm basically sold on the Trinnov. Everything keeps leading me back to it. The 16 channel non expandable version, you can still upgrade HDMI boards and such right? Only part that can't be changed is the amount of channels?

Correct AFAIK but best talk to them or your dealer. I am not sure what other differences there may be, if any. I actually have an SDP-75 (JBL Synthesis version of the Altitude 32) as I was able to get a really great deal and it includes the PEQ for my Revel speakers. My dealer carries JBL, Revel, and Trinnov so was able to help with the pros and cons among processors with my speaker line-up. I have not implemented SFM yet (for the subs); really want to, but awaiting a SW update that is supposed to help with that (it requires external help now). Dealer , JBL, and Trinnov support has been great. The flexibility and control is amazing and I have only scratched the surface yet. Trinnov has a bunch of online videos and tutorials that are very useful.

Toyed with the idea but never expected to fork out the $$$. Frustration with my then-current (Emotiva XMC-1) processor and their struggles rolling out their new model (XMC-2/RMC-1) gave me significant pause, and when a few refurbs popped up at significant savings I made the jump. Funny, both my dealer and I bought one, then let them sit for almost six months, then we both set ours up within a week or two of each other. There are some glitches, and I had to rig up a remote on/off solution (see the Trinnov thread on ASR), but it is head and shoulders above the other processors and AVRs I have had (Denon, Emotiva, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha).

I had planned to add high speakers for Atmos a couple of months ago but got derailed by Life and Work. I have a plan, just waiting for things to settle down a bit and to get some free time and funds to implement it.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
There are some glitches, and I had to rig up a remote on/off solution (see the Trinnov thread on ASR), but it is head and shoulders above the other processors and AVRs I have had (Denon, Emotiva, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha).
Thanks for the report. Just out of curiosity (I am not in the target market for this), what specifically gives Trinnov the edge over the others? Is it features? Performance? Sound quality? Looking for specific things that impressed you.

Top Bottom