• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

16-bit... It really is enough!

tuga

Major Contributor

2f447fba957e118ffb0e38a7434ebbd4.jpg

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bet that is 8-bit with 96kHz sampling and noise shaping to move the noise above 24kHz.
I have heard that before and it is pretty well indistinguishable from 16-bit, even on wide dynamic range.
without the noise shaping the hiss was audible.
Code:
]$ soxi audiocheck.net_gangnam8.ogg

Input File     : 'audiocheck.net_gangnam8.ogg'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 44100
Precision      : 16-bit
Duration       : 00:00:07.94 = 350218 samples = 595.609 CDDA sectors
I suspect that the bitdepth was reduced to 8 bits but then it was lossy compressed, so it is hard to tell from the file.

After donating one gets access to uncompressed files:
Code:
]$ soxi audiocheck.net_gangnam8.wav

Input File     : 'audiocheck.net_gangnam8.wav'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 44100
Precision      : 8-bit
Duration       : 00:00:07.94 = 350218 samples = 595.609 CDDA sectors

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Are my old ears imagining this or is this line of thought accurate?

The bit depth doesn't discriminate between loud and weak signals. Lowering the bit depth only gives higher risk of error = higher noise floor. And as long as the signal fits within the dynamic range (16bit = 96db, 12bit = 72db and so on) no information about amplitude is lost other than the stuff that gets overwhelmed by the noise floor.

In the best of the best situations vinyl has a dynamic range that's equivalent to 11 or 12bit digital, so no need to worry :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That was my statement in the OP. Unless you're hearing the noise floor hiss with CD, there's zero advantage for higher bit depth playback
There isn't any audible hiss in the noise floor of redbook. If you hear hiss, it occurred before the 16/44 recording process, or in the playback chain after the DAC
But, with current technology, I don't see why newer recordings cannot be made with 24bit/96kHz.
I don't believe any recordings have been made at 16/44 in many a year

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Sweet Christmas.

I can't believe this is even a topic in 2021.

There are literally 13+ years worth of content going back to 2007 that come up if you Google 16 bit vs 24 bit audio.

There are 84,100 search results just in videos alone.

Everything meaningful about this whole topic has already been said.

OP
M

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Sweet Christmas.

I can't believe this is even a topic in 2021.

There are literally 13+ years worth of content going back to 2007 that come up if you Google 16 bit vs 24 bit audio.

There are 84,100 search results just in videos alone.

Everything meaningful about this whole topic has already been said.
It's a topic as long as audiophiles are being duped into buying the latest 24 bit remaster.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My old pioneer tape deck has a 20 bit digital noise reduction system. I wish it had optical out but the higher end models have optical in for some reason. Anyways I heard 24bits is just 20 bits plus something else? If anybody is wondering about the model, its the CT-W606dr (US Version)

OP
M

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
It's really not.

Those that want to believe it's better already have ample evidence that they choose to ignore.

One more repeat thread isn't going to change that fact.
I don't disagree with your sentiment but for every thread like this, there's multiple spreading misinformation on the benefits of hi rez playback

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
What about HDCDs, isn't that over 16 bits?

OP
M

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I think HDCD was an unnecessary hack that created problems that weren't there in the first place. It was very creative but totally unnecessary.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Might as well talk about Betamax.

Can one even buy HDCDs anymore?

Or play the 'extra stuff' on anything currently made?

They still make them but there odd genres. I owned a Alan Jackson HDCD and a Pasty Cline HDCD. I used an HDCD Extractor tool and thats how I play mine. I heard if you play hdcds without the decoder it sounds funny.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They still make them but there odd genres. I owned a Alan Jackson HDCD and a Pasty Cline HDCD. I used an HDCD Extractor tool and thats how I play mine. I heard if you play hdcds without the decoder it sounds funny.

Patsy Cline died in 1963.

Even if HDCD was true high rez (which it isn't really), you're not going to get high resolution audio from somebody who died before digital was even invented.

You're just wasting your time playing with that Extractor when it comes to content that old.

Top Bottom