• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

15 worst cars ever designed?

Eurasian

Forum Donor
A neighbor had a Cosworth Vega -- the most unreliable American car from the 70's I can remember, which is saying something!

JS Hoover

You've got something against wagons it looks like. :)

How dare you put on this list the closest precursor to the awesome silhouette of the Tesla Cybertruck. The Pontiac Aztek.

I bet you'd include this wagon on your list had you thought of it. I give you the Vega Station Wagon estate.
View attachment 40465

Or maybe you'd prefer the Vega station wagon GT iteration.
View attachment 40466

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a6424/how-the-chevy-vega-almost-destroyed-gm/
au contraire...I love the '70s Mercedes' wagons ;)
mercedes 1975.jpg

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Ratatoskr

Chevy Vega. I had a 1971 that was rusting out and developed warped heads in two years. I don't think any of them exist any more but have all turned to rust.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow.

But not much worse than what my Dad had when I was born.

Something like this:

1574913210096.png

digicidal

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Another Down Under blunder. This one is based on the Italian Goggomobile mechanicals:

The Dart:

A workmate drove one of these to work. A few of us used to lift it up and hide it away before knock-off time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

digicidal

Major Contributor
So I'm guessing crash testing wasn't a thing back then either? Unless everyone was driving one of those I can't see anything over ~70kph being survivable. Although, on the upside, if there was a pileup... everyone could just help each other pick up the cars and set them to the side... no toe-truck required. :D

Putter

Forum Donor
The ol' swing axle gotcha, eh ... well, it got me!! First car was a beetle with the ultra simple version of that suspension, and driving home on holidays within the first year of ownership, down a dirt road just for the heck of it - round a very sandy corner at a very mild speed ... over she goes!! Hanging upside down from a seat belt I was smart enough to have had installed, I contemplated the box of apples I had bought just a short distance before from a fruit stand, strewn everywhere outside the car ...

I ended up getting half my money back that I had paid for the poor thing, from a wrecker - I was quite pleased about that!

It got me too although I wasn't the driver and we were more slightly impaired (the current term is DWI). Apparently there was highway construction and the road now curved when it used to be straight. Fortunately, nobody was injured.

Top Bottom