• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

15" woofer replacement for Revel Ultima Sub30

MasterApex

One of my subwoofer Revel Ultima Sub30 is making distorted noise...It might have been overdriven during movies.
I emailed Revel ; They don't stock the woofer anymore and don't repair it.

What 15" woofer option can I replace it or should I find local speaker repair shop (is this a DIY job )?

Thanks

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That woofer is a custom job, so it can't just be swapped. Hopefully something simple went wrong and it's easy to fix.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
According to a random internet comment, the driver is a JBL Sub-1500, or some variant.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/subwoofer-fix-ugh-or-replace/18614

So if you want to go in blind, just pick something with similar T/S parameters.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150820...s.com/jbl-sub1500-15-subwoofer-4-ohm--299-750

A better option if you have a second working sub, would be to test the T/S parameters of that woofer and rely on those instead.

The extreme option would be to salvage the plate amp, and just build yourself a new sub entirely. I would recommend physically inspecting the driver before you make a decision of course.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
M

MasterApex

According to a random internet comment, the driver is a JBL Sub-1500, or some variant.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/subwoofer-fix-ugh-or-replace/18614

So if you want to go in blind, just pick something with similar T/S parameters.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150820...s.com/jbl-sub1500-15-subwoofer-4-ohm--299-750

A better option if you have a second working sub, would be to test the T/S parameters of that woofer and rely on those instead.

The extreme option would be to salvage the plate amp, and just build yourself a new sub entirely. I would recommend physically inspecting the driver before you make a decision of course.

Thanks .....I will look into it.
So far the part is also out of stock

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is making pop noise when driven loud and now getting worse , pop sound even a moderate volume.
How do you know it is not the amplifier in there?

JPA

Forum Donor
One of my subwoofer Revel Ultima Sub30 is making distorted noise...It might have been overdriven during movies.

What 15" woofer option can I replace it or should I find local speaker repair shop (is this a DIY job )?

Thanks

Thanks

I have some good news and bad news. When Revel discontinued the Ultima Sub30, Parts Express bought the remaining JBL Sub1500 drivers. I bought a bunch of them from Parts Express for some DIY subwoofers. I have 2 drivers left over that I don't have plans for. The bad news is that they're in a full storage unit, and I don't know if they're accessible. If they are you're welcome to them for the price I paid + shipping. If they aren't you'll have to think about whether you're willing to wait about a year, because I won't be emptying the unit until then. I'll go see if I can find them next week.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably best to get something new.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have some good news and bad news. When Revel discontinued the Ultima Sub30, Parts Express bought the remaining JBL Sub1500 drivers. I bought a bunch of them from Parts Express for some DIY subwoofers. I have 2 drivers left over that I don't have plans for. The bad news is that they're in a full storage unit, and I don't know if they're accessible. If they are you're welcome to them for the price I paid + shipping. If they aren't you'll have to think about whether you're willing to wait about a year, because I won't be emptying the unit until then. I'll go see if I can find them next week.

That's a very helpful offer for the OP. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Imo, this is wildly unacceptable for a product in this price range.

Unbelievably poor if you ask me. So Revel dumped their spare parts cheap to Parts Express, what a travesty. The subwoofer is only 15 years old maximum and likely a lot less than that. US$6k.

Perhaps @amirm and anyone else with TOTL Revel speakers should be asking the questions about parts availability and at least investing in a few spare tweeters as they are the most likely to fail (from accidents).

I was able to obtain tweeters from Japan for TOTL Sony speakers older than that. And the all time record goes to Accuphase for being able to supply me an original spare part volume knob for their very first amplifier made in 1972.

Revel, you should be ashamed.

JPA

Forum Donor
I'm not defending Revel, but it is pretty hard to damage a subwoofer driver. OTOH, it was common knowledge when the Ultima Sub30 came out that it was pretty easy to bottom-out the drivers, so Revel should have expected to replace some damaged ones.

Reactions: JRS

Robh3606

Some of those drivers had an issue with the spider coming loose. You might want to take the driver out and see what's happening. Could also be the amp so you could lead out the internal wires to another driver. You could also sine sweep the woofer out of the box and listen for issues.

Rob :)

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Slightly different topic…ther is a pair of Ultima gems availible close to me for 2000,with wood sids amd matching stands …
1 are these a good to great speaker
2 why
thanks in advance for any input…

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How do you know it is not the amplifier in there?
Yes. I've experienced the pop-noise issue in the past and it was always the electronics. (FWIW, these experiences were not with Revel subs.)

Top Bottom